Author Topic: How does this work?  (Read 595 times)

Offline bla04017

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • *Jackson William* 8 Days
« on: October 22, 2007, 18:25:19 pm »
IT'S not a schedual, it is a routine right??  THe routine is EAT, ACTIVITY, SLEEP in a cycle.  Well my baby is 6 wks.  At 6 wks he gets tired pretty soon after the Eat.  (which is normal)  BUT if i put him down too soon he'll either:
#1- wake too soon-- which would in turn make him eat too soon (according to the 3 hour routine, and he does go three hours pretty easily for the most part)
or #2- sleep too long because it would be over 2 hours until the next feeding. 

for example:
E: 9:45
A:10:10-10:40
S:10:40
(if he slept continually until the 12:45 feeding he would have slept a long time.  If he woke up after and hour or so he would either eat at 11:40--an hour early-- or he would need an hour of A time until 12:45)  Which do I do?  Even if he slept for 1.5 he would still be up before his next due feeding....

If it is suppose to stay in the E.A.S cycle, should I try to just extend the wake time?  Or should I feed him earlier or do an Activity?  Or if it is the 2nd case should I wake him earlier and feed earlier or do an activity to avoid letting him sleep too long?
I hope this makes sense... I just need some advise on the routine.
Thanks

Offline MJMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 93
  • Do you like my sassy orange crocs?
Re: How does this work?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:35:41 am »
Yes.  It's a routine.  At that age, LOs really do not stay awake so long, so I wouldn't try to extend the A time too much.  Follow your LOs cues.  If he seems a little hungry, go ahead and feed him, but try to encourage a full feed.  At this age the EAS cycle is more important than the time.  My LO had 2-3 hr cycles up until she was 12 weeks.

If some EAS cycles are 2.5 and others are 3, and any where in between and the random 2 here and there is fine.  You're providing the structure, he's providing the "Mom, I'm Hungry/Tired/Cold/Wet" cues to be followed!

HTH!
Alissa
~~~~~~~~~~