Author Topic: NEOCATE. Did it cause your lo worse gas and very smelly and constipation?  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
We switched Tyler (6 weeks old) to Neocate from Nutramigen on Thursday, so Day 3 on it.  He was fine on the Nutramigen, but was still grunting and straining all the time, but had normal bowel movements. 

He now is having worse smelling gas and has not had a bowel movement on his own since Thursday. 

I did help him go and it was really thick and black and smelly?

Is this normal for Neocate? 
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

Wanted to add, he is also spitting up more now. He never really spit up before. Spit up were it actually came out.
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Jimbob

James had yucky bowel movements when we first changed to neocate. They did improve but the smell did not really but I was reasured that it was normal.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

em_here

Me too, but I have already told you this, they went black and smelly and still are smelly, I would try lactulose or similiar to help with the constipation until it has settled x

Offline Mydreamcametrue

Here is what the GI doctor told me.

Most of the nutrients from the Neocate are absorbed in the small intestines, so the nutrients never hit the large intestines (which is what produces waste).  Normally when food gets to your large intestines, your gall bladder produces bile to breakdown the food.  Since Neocate bascially does not need to be broken down, the bile comes out in the poop.  That is why it is dark green and smelly, but NORMAL....

This also makes perfect since why an intolerance reaction does not normally happen until 1 to 2 hours after you have eaten because that is when it would hit your large intestines when your system is trying to break down the food.
Wendy -