Author Topic: ques. for those with Lactose intolerant LO  (Read 1215 times)

Offline meltown

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
    • Living a Frugal Life
ques. for those with Lactose intolerant LO
« on: November 05, 2007, 05:31:01 am »
B was Lactose intolerant whiile I BF and I had to stiop drinking liquid milk for a while unti he was a bit older.  lately her has been having very uncomfortable gas again and a lot of it.  he has been on milk for about 6 weeks now and I am wondering if lactose intolerance is something that builds up and then you have a reaction or is it immediate?  I'm not sure if this is what it is but her has this gas int he afternoons and evenings.  he has milk at night before bed and has cheese int he afternoon usually.  any thoughts?
Melissa
http://www.livingafrugallife.com - Frugal Living

mom to:
Braxton 09/06/2006
Reagan 03/27/2008
Kiley 09/27/2010
Quinn 02/10/2013
Madison 08/07/2021

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
Re: ques. for those with Lactose intolerant LO
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 07:33:43 am »
build up is definatley a possibility.maybe your lo can tolerate dairy but not every day iukwim?
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline laurenhendo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 07:56:18 am »
I think for some bubs it can be immediate, and for others, it can build up. If my LO had lactose, it went straight through her when she was a little bubba, but as she got older and was on Lactose Free formula, if i tried her on regular formula , it took about 3 or 4 feeds for her to become really unsettled...so i think each bub is different ;)

binxyboo

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 15:35:19 pm »
Is it the lactose that bothers him, or the milk proteins? Riley is still on Rice Milk, cannot drink cow's milk, and cannot tolerate the lactose free milk either. Is fine with yoghurt though.

Offline meltown

• Showing Appreciation 130
    • Living a Frugal Life
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 15:41:19 pm »
he has no issues with yogurt at all.  has it in the morning usually and no gas until afternoon and night.  we have also has issues with certain cheeses, but that is still a mystery to us.  I would think if it were the proteins it would be more imediate though.  that is why I am wondering if it is the lactose that is doing it.  we havn't tried different milks or things like that because it just started to get worse and worse and he is waking up int he early night when he goes to bed.  he cries out rolls around farts a lot and goes back to sleep.  I rarely have to go in but I just know he isn't comfortable.  maybe I should try a different kind of milk for a while and see??
Melissa
http://www.livingafrugallife.com - Frugal Living

mom to:
Braxton 09/06/2006
Reagan 03/27/2008
Kiley 09/27/2010
Quinn 02/10/2013
Madison 08/07/2021

binxyboo

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 15:45:14 pm »
Yeah, I would try something else. I know a couple of months ago now, I tried Riley on a little bit of milk again, just a splash on his cereal in the mornings and *thought* he was doing okay for a while. Then over a period of a couple of weeks, I noticed his sleep getting more disturbed, then his excema came back with a vengeance, so I cut the milk out again and he went back to normal.

I don't know what it is with him, not sure if it is the proteins or not, but there is something in there that bothers him.

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 20:36:32 pm »
I would definately try a different milk. If he is ok with yogurt and certain cheeses then you could stick with them. I hope you sort this out soon. It is horrible when they are suffering.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 01:50:53 am »
We could do yogurt and cheese, but needed lactose free milk from 12-18 months.  She had used a low lactose formula before that.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.