Author Topic: Flying for the first time with 2yo  (Read 3039 times)

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Flying for the first time with 2yo
« on: November 07, 2007, 21:35:48 pm »
Next week we are off on holiday! yippeeee
we have a 4hr flight to the Canaries and I would love to get some top tips on how to survive it with an almost 2yo. I will have to get her up at about 5am and the flight is at 8am so I am hoping she will sleep some of the journey. She is a terrible wriggler and doesn't sit still for long, so she has her own seat booked as if I have her on my lap I think we will drive each other crazy.
Any tips & ideas? Pleeease??!!
]

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Flying for the first time with 2yo
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 21:40:49 pm »
No advice, but wanted to stick around, as we are thinking of going on holiday next year (11 hour flight) and would love to know all the tricks of the trade.

Where you going Kathryn?
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 21:52:24 pm »
We fly all the time with the Scotty man  ;D She will probably not sleep on the plane, but right afterwards in the buggy or JUST towards the end of the flight  :-\...

what we do...

- pack a surprise suitcase with toys he either hasn't seen yet or it was ages ago
- board the flight pretty hungry and thirsty, give drink at take off and loads of snacks (junk, cause he doesn't get it otherwise)
- buy a book that is about planes and a little toy plane
- make sure lovey is on board, too
- after the seat belt sign is off, entertain him as long as possible sitting...
- then get up for a VEEEERY extended nappy change
- then walking around on the plane (Jamie either carries him or he walks himself, make sure it's not at the time they give out food and stuff)
- getting back on the seat with something new and exciting
- more snacks and sweet drinks  :-[

works great  ;D He loves flights now, all that attention and junk food. We should do pretty much anything to keep him happy on a flight and it works...

Offline Shdef

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 21:52:53 pm »
ooh I forgot...

ENJOY!

Offline KathrynK

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 21:55:50 pm »
thanks Steffi! that's really handy.

we're off to Fuerteventura in a villa with it's own pool with my parents (ready made babysitters, hee hee). I am very excited! it's 27 degrees out there!!!!
Paula, how are you getting on? dd is sooo sweet!
]

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 22:11:01 pm »
Ooo that sounds fantastic. I am jealous.  Especially with the ready made baby sitters  ;D

All is well on this side thanks.  Had a few issues with our routine, but are following cues more now, and Abigail is doing fantastically.  She is a great night sleeper which is great.

Have fun on your holiday.  please let us know how the flight goes  :-*

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 15:30:39 pm »
I second everything Steffi says and if you have a portable DVD player or can invest in one, it's been a godsend for us.  Although, we don't let DD walk on the plane - we don't let her out of our row as we'll never get her back.  So we do nappy changes (pray for no poop) and just stay in our seats. 
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Shdef

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 21:01:29 pm »
So we do nappy changes (pray for no poop)

We do that, too  ;D

The walking about was only during the last flight, the ones before he stayed seated. Drawing with a new drawing pad and new pens also works a treat for killing time.

Offline becky1969

• Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 00:58:57 am »
Can't believe you posted this! I was just getting on to post what worked for us, since I know before our trip I was full of questions, so I thought someone might benefit from our experience!

My son is 22 months old, and we took a 7.5 hour flight to a place that was 3 time zones away. I also was travelling alone with him. :o There were actually 2 flights (one 2.5 hours, one 5 hours) with a 2-4 hour layover in an airport each way.  It went FANTASTIC! So well! I was EXTREMELY surprised because I have one of the most active toddlers eva'! In fact, his nickname while we were away was "Destructo Lad".  ::)

OK! So here's what worked great for us:

1) Leash! I've never used one before, but bought him this great Monkey Backpack leash made by Eddie Bauer. I got it from Target for <$10.  Since it was just me and we were going to Disney World, I was terrified we'd get separated. The leash was WONDEFUL for the airport - he got to walk and have some freedom, but he couldn't get too far! The first time we tried on the leash he screamed. But my husband adjusted it so it was a little more comfortable, and he never made a peep about it afterwards. He even gave his monkey kisses.  ;D  He will sit still to let me put it on him too when I say "Time to put on our monkey!"

2) Like PP suggest, lots of little, new toys or books. That kept us quite busy on the plane. My son isn't interested in coloring yet, but if your LO does like that the Aquadoodle things are GREAT! You just fill a pen with water (or dip in water if that's easier), and colors appear on the page! When it dries, you can do it again!  Theya re really neat and they make travel ones that are small and come in popular characters (I got Thomas the Tank Engine).  We also brought a package of little animals that cost me like $3, but was his most popular toy on his trip.

3) PORTABLE DVD PLAYER!!!! This was my most important tool, LOL! My MIL loaned it to me, and even though there was only 2 hours of battery life, it was fabulous! I waited until the toys started seeming unintersting, and then I broke it out. I would give him his blankie to hold and every single time he fell asleep after about 30 minutes! He only took 45 minute naps while on the plane, but that was enough to give him a 2nd wind and make him more agreeable for the rest of the trip.  We brought several Elmo videos, and that worked great! You can also recharge in airports, if you have more than one flight.

4) Fun food.  I think food almost entertained him more than the toys! We brought little boxes of raisins, and then he played with the peanuts and other plane treats.  I also brought boxes of apple juice, which he doesn't get to drink at home. That felt special.  When they served drinks, I asked for a cup for my son and would give him a piece of ice to play with. That was very fun for some reason.  ::) Be creative about allowing your child to do new and different things with food and drink, and they will be very excited!

5) Don't worry about regular nap time or anything. Your child will be too excited to sleep at their normal time. However, if tired showing a video worked great! That got him relaxed enough to fall asleep, like I said for 45 minutes at a time.

6) Make sure you carry on any blankies, lovies or any other objects that help your child sleep. Familiar objects can help them relax enough to nap.  Also, I brought one of the things from his room that we say "night-night" to before each sleep period (a small photo).  We continued our normal night-time ritual in the new place we were staying, and that helped tons.  IN fact, the first night we got in it was 1 am local time, and I was so concerned about getting him to bed that I neglected the ritual. When he still wasn't asleep after 30 minutes, I called my DH for some sympathy. He asked if I'd done the ritual, and when I realized I hadn't I quickly hung up and did it.  Wouldn't you know, the monkey fell asleep almost immediately! It's like he needed to know that SOMETHING was normal!  ;)

As for time change, all I did was make sure he had the normal Awake time between nap and bedtime, regardless of what the clock said.  He adjusted himself essentially! The first day he woke at 7 am on his own, after going to bed at 1 am. So I put him down for a nap around 12:00 am local time, since that's normally when he would go.  He slept 2.5 hours just fine, and that gave us a pretty normal bedtime of 8 pm.  When we got home, we did the same thing. He woke at 7:30 am the first day we got home, so I kept to our normal schedule. That 2nd night home he slept 14 hours, and I even had to wake him up so we wouldn't get too off schedule!  :o  We've been home 4 days now, and he's totally adjusted!

have a GREAT time!!! Don't stress too much.  Our LOs are growing up so fast and are more mature than we realize! In fact, we traveled with our son in August, and I can't believe how much easier he is even in the 3 short months since I traveled with him last!  I'm so proud of my little boy, and I know you'll have many opportunities to be proud of your LO too.  Have a WONDEFUL trip!  ;D

Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 01:05:53 am »
One last thing! On the way to Orlando, I traveled on the plane with the carseat.  The upside was that it kept him buckled into his seat, and he didn't even consider wanting to walk around. The downside was that he couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep - the carseat was too big and it sort of pitched forward a little bit in the plane seat (we have a Britax Marathon).  So, I had to hold him in order for him to get comfortable for a sleep.

On the way back, I checked the carseat as luggage. The upside was he had more room to play and was able to get comfortable to sleep much easier by leaning against me or laying on my lap.  The downside was he felt like he wanted to run around the plane more.  I didn't let him - each flight we made one trip to the potty (for mommy!) and that was it.  It was more of a struggle to keep him in his seat, which can be annoying (esp. if you don't have a daddy with you to help with the wrestling bit!).  Seating him near the window worked best - seating him in the middle/aisle was more work and trouble.
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 23:22:56 pm »
So you are telling me that the only way the DVD works is on battery?   >:(  Ours only has a few minutes time for some reason.  Crud!!!!!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 02:25:17 am »
Yep - on the plane, it's all battery.  If you have a Radio Shack or similiar, you can probably get a replacement or extended battery maybe.  But when you're near a plug, we use that.  Ours can be plugged in (not sure how, that's DH's realm) to the wall but on the plane, alas there is not outlet...
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline shelliz

• Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 03:18:59 am »
Becky...

Thanks for taking the time to write all of that out! Sounds like you had a great experience!!

:D

Shelby

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 04:36:29 am »
Had another thought...on longer flights, some airlines do have power jacks in the armrests.  Not sure if it's just business class or all of the plane.  It might be worth it to check it out and see if you can track down an adapter.  If I had a long flight, I would definitely ask the airline about it!

Offline KathrynK

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 09:50:39 am »
thanks guys, that's all been so helpful!
we are off on Weds so will let you know how it goes when we're back
]

Offline Mom2katiebug

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 15:30:00 pm »
One last bit of advice...if you LO is being a bit of a pill on the plane (or terminal or where ever), don't get too stressed about it.  Other parents will COMPLETELY understand (and sometimes offer kind words or some help); the strangers that aren't parents will NOT understand at all and NOTHING you will do will make a difference in their eyes.  Just forget about them.

This is your vacation, make sure you relax and enjoy it!

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 21:29:11 pm »
Have a fantastic time Kathryn.

Good luck - can't wait to hear about your trip and see some photies.

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 22:13:09 pm »
mom2katiebug has written never a truer word!  ;D so many parents were so very very kind to us. And some people just stared. So what! He was sweet as could be, and the parents out there thought he was funny and cute, and helped me haul our traveling circus around.  I was so touched by their generosity. Though, it made me quite sad because the dad's who offered their help always asked if I was 'comfortable' having them carry something or whatever. I appreciated them asking, but it makes me sad that people probably distrust my husband too at first because we're so worried about child molesters all the time. (that's terribly OT, sorry!).

As for the battery, my DH went to Radio Shack and bought I believe it's called a Battery Extender, or something. It plugs into your DVD player, and then it runs off of that battery. The one we bought is an Energizer and it cost $35.  While you're using your external battery, the internal battery recharges a bit giving you another 15 minutes or so!

A
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline Isabella's Mummy (Lilab4)

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 22:26:32 pm »
Have a great time! We took Isabella to Gran Canaria a couple of weeks back and it was fantastic.

The flight out there wasn't too good. The flight was at 5.30pm and due to travelling to the airport she didn't get a proper nap and was shattered! Books and a DVD player helped us, but she was just exhausted. She didn't have her own seat either which is what I think our biggest problem was. She was upset for probably 25% of the flight and she looked sooo tired which was horrible, I was feeling so guilty for putting her through it. Typically she actually fell asleep as we came into land. Really noisy and bumpy as well as bright lights and she slept through it all!! HOWEVER after being there for just 1 day, I realised it was worth it. She had an amazing time!! The flight home was very different as we flew at 11pm and she fell asleep on take off and woke up on landing!! Great!!

Enjoy your holiday. I wish I was going back!
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline KathrynK

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 08:53:44 am »
thanks everyone. I can't wait until tomorrow, I am so in need of a holiday now (won't bore you with moaning). We have to wake Sophie at 5am, and the flight is 8am-12 noon so hopefully she'll sleep at some point!
will let you know in a week how we get on!
]

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 21:37:15 pm »
Have fun hun  :-*