Author Topic: Short Naps Making Me Crazy  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Dylans_Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 15, 2007, 23:57:42 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in a long time, but this site helped me train my son to nap well and sleep through the night at 3 months of age. He's now 20 months old and we've recently been having major issues with naps. He switched to one nap early - around 12 months (although probably could have switched even earlier). At night he used to sleep from 7 or 7:30 to around 7. Initially he was napping from 12-3, but a month or two ago he started taking short naps, 1-2 hours. I wouldn't mind if he was happy when he woke up, but sometimes he wakes up crying hysterically. It actually started with that, he'd wake up hysterical. This week he's only been sleeping about an hour for his naps. He's exhausted all afternoon and evening, has dark circles under his eyes, get super cranky, etc.

I am trying to figure out the cause. We did start potty training right before the nap issue began. Does anyone else have experience with toilet training affecting naps? His nighttime sleep is still okay (knock on wood) with the exception of earlier waking in the last couple weeks with the time change. Most people I have asked about the toilet training said they never heard of that being an issue. I know my son is pretty young to toilet train, but he's been really interested in it and doing pretty well with it. On one hand I'd hate to give that up, but the nap issue did start right after we started to train him and he really needs that sleep. I am pulling my hair out in the afternoons not having that little break.

I have experimented with our day time activities to see if that would help, but it hasn't seemed to make much difference. We did a lot outside over the summer, which might be why he slept so well then. We do activities out every morning now, but they are all indoors. I have experimented with the nap time, how much we do in the morning, staying in vs. going out, but it hasn't seemed to help. I may try a longer wind down routine and a different one to see if that helps. We have always done books, but my son LOVES books, reads all day, and gets very stimulated by them, so it may not be the best choice.

I guess the other issue is just toddler behavior I need to get used to... he has been much more temperamental in the last couple weeks, not listening, running away and laughing when I ask him to do things... the short nap makes for a very long day

I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

Jamie

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Short Naps Making Me Crazy
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 00:24:29 am »
Jaime, what does the day look like... what time does he wake, when is the nap & when is bedtime?

It could be related to toilet training... he might be waking up during the nap with the urge to pee & unable to put himself back to sleep? Other than the physical stimulation.. have you considered teething?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 00:27:30 am by Isabella&Jasmine's mum »

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Dylans_Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 00:50:45 am »
Our typical day used to have him waking around 7, napping at 12 or 12:30, going down for the night at 7:30. When he started with the shorter naps I started putting him down closer to 7 at night since he seemed more tired. In the last couple weeks he's been waking earlier. Since the time change he's been waking around 6 or 6:30, a couple times even earlier. Twice this week he was falling asleep on the way to morning classes - around 9 a.m.! He has also had a cold for the last couple weeks so I'm sure that's contributing, but this problem started awhile ago. The teething could be a factor too. He has his first set of molars but is getting the eyeteeth (is that what they're called?) but he's a really slow teether, it can take a month or two for teeth to come in for him.

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 05:43:22 am »
Teething might have alot to do with it.... eye teeth hurt alot & if he's waking up crying I would think its largely related to teething.

Have you tried giving him some meds before he's down for a nap?

My dd is teething eye teeth at the moment (2 more to go) & she's been taking 45min-1hr naps as well with the exceptional 2hr nap here & there. I am doing earlier bedtimes in the meantime...

hth
Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 09:21:29 am »
Eye teeth definitely mess things around, when getting those we did meds before every nap.  Give it a try
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline Dylans_Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 16:52:54 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. A friend had suggested trying an earlier bed time and I tried that along with a different wind down/sleep routine last night. He slept almost 13 hours last night which he hasn't done in weeks. I tried a similar routine before nap today and he laid right down. We'll see how long he sleeps. If the wind down routine isn't enough I may try the medicine for his teeth. Thanks!

Jamie

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 19:56:14 pm »
Interesting that you mention the winddown.  we have recently started giving DD a massage before bed each night and it is really helping her to go to sleep without a really long play.

Glad you are seeing an improvement!
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline Dylans_Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 12:43:43 pm »
Yes, I read on here to have him say goodnight to things in the house. We do that first, which he loves doing. We have always done lotion since his skin is really dry, but someone on here suggested focusing attentiong on the feet, hands, and ears, so I am doing that as well. My problem with him was that I used to spend a lot of time reading, since he loves books, but they get him all excited. Now we just do one book towards the beginning of the routine but I try to read it quietly without asking him questions about it. I think what helps the most is right before I put him in his crib, I turn out the light and rock him while singing a lullaby. I only do that for a couple minutes and he still goes in his crib awake, but he lays right down and goes to sleep. I used to put him in the crib and sing a song, but he would usually stand up and want a million hugs and kisses. It's amazing how a simple change can do so much good! BTW - for the nap yesterday (which is actually what brought me on here) he slept for 2 1/2 hours.  ;D