Author Topic: talk to me about milk allergy/intolerance  (Read 1464 times)

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 254
talk to me about milk allergy/intolerance
« on: November 29, 2007, 17:47:44 pm »
No one in our family has food allergies or intolerances, so I'm not sure if this is what we're dealing with.  I was hoping you lovely ladies could help me out.

Iris has had a really gross, snotty runny nose for two weeks now, with no sign of let-up.  I thought at first it was a cold, because it started about when both DH and Lilah had colds, but now I'm not so sure.  It isn't the first time she's had a really gunky nose, either.  I'd say she's had it for the majority of the past 2 months... it will stop, then start up again.  I thought it was that she'd catch a new bug every time we'd go to work in Lilah's preschool class, but it doesn't seem that she has any other cold symptoms-- no cough, and she doesn't seem to be in pain from a sore throat.  Lately she's also developing some tiny patches of eczema on her cheek and in the diaper area.  She's also lately starting to have horrendous NWings, which I have read can be associated with milk allergy.  At 6 months, she was starting to sleep through now and then, but was still not an independent sleeper, so it wasn't consistent.  But now she's been going to sleep independently the majority of the time and her NWings are worse than they were when I was still nursing her to sleep.

I'd say we introduced yogurt about 2 months ago, too, so the timing seems to be matching up.

I would just go right ahead and eliminate the dairy from her diet just to see if it helps, but we're vegetarian, so dairy is an important protein food for us, and she does usually eat what the family is having.  That's why I wanted to check in with you and see if any of this matches up with milk allergy/intolerance and see if I should go ahead and try eliminating it for awhile and see if it helps.  And if so, how long should I do it for?

I'm planning on BFing for 2 years or until she self weans, so I'm not too worried about introducing cow's milk when she turns one year.  But it would be a pain in the neck to have to completely revamp my family's diet in order to cut the dairy out... oh, and of course she's a picky eater but does love cheese and yogurt. ::)  But I'm totally willing to try if any of this matches up.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: talk to me about milk allergy/intolerance
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 04:23:34 am »
They are signs of a milk allergy, but I think it could almost be enviromental allergies. 

My ds1 had a runny nose, sneezing, itching eyes pretty much from the time he was an infant. At 2 years old, he still has to take Zyrtec daily. 
He was also intolerant to milk, but not allergic.

I would look into enviromental allergies or try to cut milk out for 2 weeks and see if that does help.  2 weeks want hurt her and if you are Bfeeding, then she is getting her protein with your milk!
* If you do cut out dairy, just be sure not to eat it yourself and watch for hidden ingredients.

Good Luck! Wendy

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline IrishDancer_Tara

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 11:30:25 am »
It sounds like it could be kind of an intoleeance but I would not say an allergy to dairy.  I have an allergy to dairy and have severe stonach issues when I eat it.  You would most likely notice the following if it was a true allergy to dairy: stomach upset, gas, bad diareha (sp?) dark circles under eyes (allergic shinners).
Have you spoken to your Dr about it?  Try going to see a naturopath...they are of great help
Good luck!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 19:46:00 pm »
It is possible that your dd has a milk allergy/intollerance as your dd is experiencing some of the symptoms associated with this. Howevere it could also be enviromental allergies. It might be worth eliminating dairy for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. It might be that your dd can tolerate dairy through your breast milk but directly is too much. My son reacts with severe eczema flares, stuffy nose and stomach pain. About a year ago he managed to take a sip from my friend's ds's bottle and this actually made him wheeze aswell. In my opinion (and it is only my opinion through personal experience) it would be worth eliminating it for a short period of time to see if it helps.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 22:15:44 pm »
Okay, so day one with cutting out the dairy.  I do eat dairy myself, but we didn't have these issues until she started eating dairy herself.

Definitely environmental allergies could be the issue... DH has a pretty bad allergy to dust mites, for which he's getting allergy shots (which have helped tremendously, BTW) and has to take Zyrtec for flair-ups (but used to need to take it every day, before the shots).  I've sort of wondered about envronmental allergies for her for a long time, because she often has a stuffy nose and has seemed to get "colds" way more often that DD1 ever did.

We have her 12 month appointement in about a month, so I'll talk to the doctor then.

Thanks!
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 07:40:25 am »
It would be a good idea to talk to the doctor. If your dh has enviromental allergies then that is certainly a possibility. My son reacts to perfume and air fresheners aswell as things like dust. It just goes to show that anything can cause issues really.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 12:50:42 pm »
How is it going with cutting out the dairy? It definitely does sound like a possibly dairy intolerance to me. Some have gut reactions but others react like your LO with congestion and rashes. Can she tolerate soy milk/yogurt/cheese?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~S~

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 00:16:15 am »
What about goat's milk products? 
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 23:40:47 pm »
I'm late seeing this post, but it sounds like an intolerance to me too.  My DD has slight dairy intolerance.  In her case it caused red eczema-like patches on her legs and back if she had too much. 

Just like ~S~ said, we have used Goat's milk products (milk and cheese) and soy yogurt (you can get goat's yogurt too but it is very sour).

DD is almost 5 and seems to be outgrowing the intolerance so it might not be forever.