Author Topic: Diaper Rash after first intro to rice cereal  (Read 3014 times)

Offline RAR5

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Diaper Rash after first intro to rice cereal
« on: November 30, 2007, 15:16:16 pm »
Hi,

I just introduced my 5.5 month old to rice cereal 3 days ago, she will be be 6 months on Dec 11th and I wanted to see how she reacted to it before her next doc appt.

She has had a huge increase in soiled diapers since we introduced the solids, yesterday there were 6 soiled diapers and already 2 this morning...and now she has a bad diaper rash.  I change her right away except overnight but must be irritated from all those bowel movements and wiping with baby wipes (which I have sinced moved to warm water & cloth only).

Has this happened to anyone when starting solids?  I'm debating if I should stop and wait till we talk to the doctor OR is this somewhat normal?  I just want to make sure this is not an allergic reaction.

zed

Re: Diaper Rash after first intro to rice cereal
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 18:17:12 pm »
I think it would be helpful to let us know what this rash looks like.  If your baby has the red dotted or pimply rash it could be irritation from so many wipes.  You could try to give your LO's bottom some air time as well as the warm cloth to wipe.

If your LO's rash is a solid fire engine red with a slight rough texture then your LO might have a yeast infection.  Both of my boys had some yeast infections from their body chemistry changing during the introduction of some solids.  I was told that this usually doesn't mean that a baby is intolerant to that food but the pH in the bowl is changing causing the infection.  It would be definitely worth your while to have a health nurse (if you have that service avail) have a quick look.  If it is a yeast infection, I was told to use Canesten external cream on it.  But, do call your  Dr. or H. Nurse, who could give you advice specific to your LO.