Author Topic: MSPI barely drinks any milk and spits out the supplements arrrrrgh!  (Read 3135 times)

em_here

Abbi is 11 months, MSPI and doesnt drink much of the neocate, dont blame her its foul smelling so much taste AWFUL!  She has around 2oz willingly in the morn, and then I squeeze the rest into her brekkie, and drinks 3oz willingly at night then I have to pick her up when she is asleep 10 mins later and feed her, so usually totals 5oz at night, so altogether we are looking at an average of 10oz a day.  The dietician put her on calcium Sandoz supplements, 15 mls a day, but she just spits it out! I have tried tilting her and gently blowing on her face to get her to swallow as per what one bw did which really worked for her, but she just screams and chokes and its not very pleasant for her, If I give it normally she just spits it straight out all down her front, and have tried mixing it with a small bit of juice/milk but she just refuses to drink it......

I am concerned, she cant have calcium in other ways obviously, we have tried to give some small amounts of soy, which she seems ok with until the 3rd/4th day when the runs begin and the tummy cramps  :'( :'( :'(

The dietician very much doubts she will be on dairy at even 2 years old, and am panicking, if she wont take the supplements and wont take the milk, she is going to become calcium deficiant etc.... am so panicky about this  :'(

In general she is a very happy plump little girl, developmentally sound etc.... I cant speak to dietician until Tuesday so any words of wisdom, advice, reassurance would be massively appreciated  :-*

binxyboo

Re: MSPI barely drinks any milk and spits out the supplements arrrrrgh!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 16:41:43 pm »
Hugs xx

She will be fine. I was vegan for a long time, and had no issues with calcium intake. I think a visit with a dietician would be really helpful for you. From years of clever marketing and advertising, we all have been pretty much brainwashed into believing it is neccessary to consume cow's milk and milk products to be healthy. Not true at all.

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 16:55:51 pm »
Could you possibly put it into her neocate in either the 20z that she drinks in the morning or at the night. I don't know much about getting children to take calcium supplements as Olivia has a normal diet and James usually drinks plenty of neocate just with the odd blip.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

em_here

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 18:14:57 pm »
Hi thanks for the reassurance etc.... I have tried mixing it with her milk it makes her gag unfortunately, dh is trying to feed her now, and she is SCREAMING! I told the dietician about all this but she doesnt seem worried, so neither should I be I suppose  :-\  Just I know without the supplements, she doesnt have enough calcium

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 18:38:36 pm »
Emma I know it's really hard, been there as you know though not quite as bad cos dd got her calcium. At the end of the day hopefully by about 3 years or 4 she will be less intolerant and can make up for lost time. I know calcium is especially important for little girls which is why I was always on about it myself but I think it really is when they get to 11 or 12 that it becomes so vital. Please try not to stress too much though repeat I know it's difficult. How is the cup going? Are there any other ways of getting calcium into her that mybe you/ we havent thought of? Sorry I dont know enough about nutrition to be of more help but loadsa hugs

em_here

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 18:48:40 pm »
Thanks Fiona, I know I have blahed on about this on the bottle feeding forum, its just now my main concern is the calcium.... thanks for the reassurance, I just dont want anything to crop up in the future that is caused by "lack of calcium" ie: know you need it for strong bones etc...

Maybe I will go searching for calcium fortified foods, that dont contain milk....... is there such a thing??!?!?!?!?!? Thanks again, I know I go on and on about this, sorry  :-[ :-[

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 19:47:37 pm »

Spinach (boiled)  
Baked beans 
Red kidney beans  
Curley kale (boiled) 
Okra (fried)  
Spring greens (raw)  
(cooked)  
Watercress 
Parsley  
Spinach (boiled)  
Apricots (dried) 
Currants  
Figs (dried)  
Treacle (black)  
Tahini  
Sesame seeds  

These are some calcium rich foods. Obviously you will need to choose the things that sre best suited to your dd's age.

Kelly

em_here

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 19:58:53 pm »
Oh wow, thanks so much Kelly, just gonna print those off xxxxxx

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 18:40:02 pm »
I have similar concerns with Abby.  She is MSPI and also on Neocate.  But we switched her to goat's milk around 14 months.  She does great on this but refuses to drink it out of a sippy.  So she is still on 3 bottles per day.  And she doesn't like the goat's milk yoguart or cheese.  So I know if I get rid of the bottles she won't drink much of any milk. 

Andrea
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 07:03:30 am »
I would not worry about getting rid of the bottles as it is more important that your dd gets the nutrition that she needs than how it is delivered.

Kelly

Offline mella

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 14:40:26 pm »
its proably not very healthy.. but maybe try putting some milkshake powder in it to flavour it better? When we were on the soya stuff, I had to put apple juice in it before he'd have it.

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 18:25:14 pm »
heres the list i use,hope it helps :),
canned sardines-small can=400mg
broccoli-75g/3oz=75mg
orange-medium-=50mg
carrot-1 medium=25mg
egg-1 large=25mg
apple-1 medium=20mg
kiwi fruit-1 medium=20mg
dates/raisins-30g/1.5oz=25mg
pear-1 medium=10mg
green beans-50g/2oz=20mg
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 12:39:53 pm »
Since she's almost a year, what about calcium fortified rice milk instead of Neocate? Then a good multivitamin (like Trivisol with Iron) to make up some of the other nutrients? Does she drink juice? If so, calcium fortified OJ?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

em_here

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 14:07:20 pm »
Oooooh Karen, never thought of those things  :D Thanks! Does rice milk taste more "pleasant" do you know x. thank u x

binxyboo

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 15:17:22 pm »
Riley likes the rice milk..we get vanilla flavored mostly as it's usually what's in bulk at the store. It's not all that good on cereal though, kind of makes the cereal weird, but if you have no frame of reference it might be okay lol. Riley was used to a splash of cow's milk on his cereal, and now will choose to eat it dry instead of with rice milk.