Author Topic: independent play  (Read 2024 times)

Offline legend_018

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
« on: December 03, 2007, 15:21:23 pm »
chayse is around 19 months old. Is it normal for her to be so "non independent" when it comes to playing. She is requiring Dh and myselfs CONSTANT attention. She only plays a little bit here and there by her self. We have to constantly sit in her room and interact with her playing with toys and reading her books. I can barely do anything. Even if we bring toys out into the living room. she has plenty to do I think, although she gets bored and plays with something for a short time. We have books, blocks which she is really into, stuffed animals which she is also into, games, cars that she drives around "sits on top", a real swing hanging from the beam, balls ect. We give  her crayons and she even writes on paper with a pen sometimes.  She also sometimes likes to watch some of the cartoons here and there. This has been going on for quite awhile and if we are not giving her the attention that she wants - she whines and sometimes crys until we do. She has to have someone sitting there with her playing with her. I sit down on the floor and PLAY so much with her on a daily basis. I know some day I will miss her wanting our attention because she'll probably won't want anything to do with us - but it's so tiring sometimes. I have to rush through everything and when I'm feeding chaunda I have to multitask and feed her and try to interact and play with Chayse at the same time. Chaunda is almost 4 months old. I just wish she would play a little longer by herself. I can't use the computer for longer than a few minutes, I cant run errands around the house, I can barely cook dinner. IF DH is home she constantly wines for him to come into her room and play with her and as soon as he leaves to go do something, she wines for me to come into her room to play with her.

Is this normal?
oh and I feel this has been going on for quite some time now.
got to go - she is literally crying because I'm using the computer and she doesnt' like that I guess. We are not talking over the course of the last couples days, we are talking constantly.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 15:27:20 pm by legend_018 »
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: independent play
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 19:13:26 pm »
hiya

Sophie's been like this since about 19mo- she's now 23mo. Have read similar posts which say it's really common to have another bout of SA at this age, which can last for ages. I'm really hoping it'll pass soon, it's really tiring to handle, so hugs to you for having to cope with another lo too. Sorry no practical advice, I'm just riding it out until it passes xx
]

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 17:43:29 pm »
ya but she whines and crys if we are not ON THE FLOOR playing with her either in her room or in the living room/kitchen area.  (reading her books, building blocks with her and putting her little farm animals on the blocks or what eva). Not even just hanging out in the same room while she plays - literally ON the floor interacting or else. It is definetely a bit much sometimes. We give in because she wines and sometimes crys. I some how managed to make 2 batches of mexican lasagna and some peppermint bark this morning, although I haven't really cleaned up the mess yet. I was on this computer earlier and she was litterally behind me crying. She does play here and there by herself, but not for long at all it seems. she always says "in room, in room, in room" and we go in there and like I said, it's not like I can just sit in her room and watch her play...I have to play too and interact with her. If I don't for sooner or later, she's pointing at her blocks and whining that she wants me to build the blocks. she knows how to build them herself too and sometimes does.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 19:51:03 pm »
Sounds normal to me too. My DD has ALWAYS been this way. And it's funny because if we are at one of her classes or at someone else's house with new toys and other kids she's SO independent and busy. But at home I think she just gets bored and wants our time and attention. It does get hard sometimes but that's just how she is I guess...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 14:39:02 pm »
I have to play with Sophie all the time too- I can't sit in the same room and try to read a book, she takes the book away and says mummy play. I think it's just normal.
]

Offline spearson

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 19:34:32 pm »
I am a first time Mom of a 6 month old daughter. She is a good baby, sleeps 12 hours a night and naps 2-3 times a day for an hour. She will go to sleep without protest but I have the same problem as above. If I am playing with a toy with her she will laugh and play but the second I walk away for a second she screams with tears running down her face, turns red, coughs and throws a tantrum but when I go to play with her again she will smile and be just fine. What can I do? She had every toy, bouncy seat, swing, jumper etc etc...she will play in her exersaucer for about 15 mins by herself.

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 19:59:13 pm »
Chayse does have times here and there that she will play herself and be a little independent. What is aggravating and I"ll give her all the attention in the world, too the point where I'm ignoring chaunda including proping  bottles so I can give Chayse the attention. But what is aggravating is the minute I'm not playing with her - she starts doing things like antagonizing the cat and dog or doing things or getting into things she's not suppose to.

Offline spearson

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 22:33:22 pm »
Thank you very much. Like I said I am a first time Mom and this is all new to me. It is just my husband and I and we are trying to figure everything out to make sure our little gal is happy and thriving. Thank you again. :)

Offline spearson

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 22:35:31 pm »
Also, does anyone live in Palos Verdes Ca?

Offline kendraak

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 02:56:50 am »
My son is pretty much the same way about wanting my constant attention and wanting me to play with him. I've found that in order to get things done around the house I try to include him whether it's making dinner or doing laundry- I try to find some little task he can do in order to "help". It makes everything go much slower and you have to be really patient, but at least you're not sitting on the floor playing all day long!  :)

I think that it's really pretty normal, but a lot depends on personality. My daughter already plays much better on her own, but my son just likes to have someone's constant attention all the time.

It's getting better though as he's getting older- he will sit and color or play with stickers or play dough by himself for short periods of time now.

Kendra