Author Topic: Night time routine for 12-month-old?  (Read 1049 times)

Offline tara72

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Night time routine for 12-month-old?
« on: December 01, 2007, 04:20:34 am »
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I wasn't sure where exactly to put it (since I browse more than I post).

this is what my 12-month-old DD's night time routine looks like:

7:00 - bath
7:20 - bottle of about 6 ounces while watching Baby Mozart DVD, then brush teeth, say prayers
7:35 or so - bedtime (falls asleep in usually 5-10 minutes)

we used to read to her after her bath while she ate her bottle, but she just wants to move around all the time and walk and play. so for the last month or so, we've been watching the DVD. but I feel like we should be reading to her instead....but she won't sit still for it!

I'm curious what other's routines look like for their 1-year-old. I read a few routines under another thread (toddler wind-down routines), but many of them were older toddlers.

and, can anyone tell me about what age you can sit with your LO in your lap and read them a story? without them grabbing for the book and wanting to turn the pages all the time...

hope this post makes sense, I'm pretty tired. *lol* thanks in advance!

--tara
[IMG=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/taverstables/tarasigimage.jpg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/taverstables/tarasigimage.jpg[/img]
Mommy of Savannah and Ashleigh

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
Re: Night time routine for 12-month-old?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 02:28:40 am »
Jasmine is a little older but she has never EVER sat through a book!!! Even now at 18months I have not finished a book with her still sitting on my lap or around me lol. She might start off near me but then she'll crawl around, walk around & might come back, try to bite the book, you name it! I don't think you have to read to her as part of your windown.... what about her sitting on your lap & you sing her some songs instead?

Isabella was pretty good about us reading to her from a young age... I would say about 15 months onwards but dd2 is just not interested.

I would save the reading for during the day & if what you are doing now is working for her then let her be. Some babies are stimulated by BE videos but if your lo isn't then maybe you should leave the routine as it is?!?

hth
Layla :)

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 08:31:25 am »
I couldn't read for Scotty at that age either, he just wouldn't sit still at all so it wasn't a wind down.

Telly is too stimulating for it to be used as a wind down, so I wouldn't do that either.

I'd read a lot during the day and then not before sleep, and have the bed time routine look like that:

7 pm bath
7.20 pm bottle (in a dark room, maybe you can sing instead? And cuddles...
7.40 sleep

Offline irish3680

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • I'm such a good sport!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 13:38:09 pm »
Ella is 15 months and the same, LOVES books and to listen to the stories but wants no part of sitting still for them. So we save them for during the day because they are more stimulating than relaxing for her. What we do and have done since around 12 months is sit in the rocking chair for about 10 minutes cuddling and singing softly. This is the only time outside of her crib that Ella has her beloved blankie, so she thinks that's special. As soon as we get in the rocker, she relaxes and zones out and gets in the mood for bed. This is really helpful for us because she is SO active. Sometimes she tries to stand up, bounce around, or play and all I have to do is tell her she needs to relax or is going to bed immediately, which always does the trick.

Shannon
Shannon

Ella Grace 8/25/06
Mya Rose 4/18/09
Cal Howard 10/17/10

Offline tara72

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 22:50:16 pm »
thank you for the replies, ladies. it's nice to hear about your routines and your thoughts on reading! it's all been very insightful for me. :)
[IMG=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/taverstables/tarasigimage.jpg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/taverstables/tarasigimage.jpg[/img]
Mommy of Savannah and Ashleigh