Author Topic: a toy kitchen to make  (Read 1243 times)

Offline ~S~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« on: December 05, 2007, 02:54:24 am »
I have a feeling that this is going to get love or hate responses.  But with all of the recalls on toys the plastic toy kitchens make me uneasy, especially b/c my lo puts everything in her mouth and her hands in her mouth, so if it has lead, afraid it will make it to her mouth.  So I found this cardboard kitchen it is pieced together kind of like a puzzle and could be taken apart for a move easily.
fortytworoads.blogspot.com/2007/10/toy-kitchen-is-finished.html

I think the lady is very ingenius, but I was thinking of making it and painting it instead of using contact paper, has anyone painted cardboard before?  I posted on the craft corner, but got no responses.  She did it out of cardboard, I think at least in part for recycling purposes.  TIA
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline *Mona*

• Showing Appreciation 144
Re: a toy kitchen to make
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 07:38:35 am »
the kitchen is soooooo fab! we're planning to make one for dd too but when she's at least two yo so that she doesn't destroy it too fast ;) :P

if you want to paint the cardboard, you have to make sure it's a really thick one [well, sort of like the one thet lady has used,  with at least 3 layers iykwim]. if you paint cardboard it gets wet and might change its shape a bit so I'd say a thick cardboard and not too watery paint should work :)

m
~Monika~

Maja - 6 yrs
Nina - 27.11.2012 :)

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 07:46:08 am »
That kitchen is amazing!! My DH wants to make L something similar from wood but of course it is finding the time  :P
Katt

Offline LORRIEc

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • My little Aedric "Bo-Badric"
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 12:31:33 pm »
That is really cool.  My son would destroy it, but I still really like it.

Offline ~S~

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 14:35:27 pm »
Mona, I made a prototype out of too thin poster board and I am glad I did, the cardboard will have to be pretty thick to work, and maybe the contact paper would help with the sturdiness.  On the original website that I posted she has a papercrafts part of her site, and on there gives more details about making the kitchen and shows her sketch and prototype. 

skatty, here is a wooden one with put together and apart, maybe it would help if your dh does it
daddytypes.com/2007/01/06/please_sir_can_i_have_some_momoll.php

LORRIEc, I agree, I don't think it will be an heirloom, that is why I kind of wanted to paint it instead of mess with the contact paper.  But also thought it would be a nice alternative for the pink ones for boys.

I'm so happy others think that it is cool.  I think I will try and use black pipe cleaners coiled for the burners.  I have been trying to think of something to use for the faucet, and I plan on using a stainless steel bowl for the sink.  My dh was totally against it at first-couldn't see the use of a kitchen "Just have her cook with you."  I had a plastic one for my lo1 and he said he never could see the use of that one either, but if we were going to have one for lo2 then buy one, or make it out of wood.  We are totally strapped for $ at the moment-and I am the cheap one, so he knew that wouldn't happen, and he is recovering from a surgery and wouldn't be able to do anything with wood for who knows how long.  But we went to a friends house on Sunday and they had a plastic one and you couldn't tear her away from it, even to go see their puppies, and then was talking about playing with a kitchen later so that softened dh.  Regardless of our financial shape, this is something I would do, but sometimes your happiness with things gets fuzzy when what would be a choice becomes your only choice, iykwim.  Anyway when I mentioned the worry of lead, well I made progress with my dh and then I used the graph paper and poster board to make the model and he is being won over. 

I am really impressed with this woman's ability to come up with this, I think she used the wooden one as an inspiration, but still to come up with the cuts and all of it, I am just not that ingenious.  I am glad she shared it. 

Have any of you seen any non plastic toy pots and pans? 
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline LORRIEc

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • My little Aedric "Bo-Badric"
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 15:15:35 pm »
I believe that ikea (at least the ones in Canada) have metal play pots, although their play plates look like they are ceramic, I don't know what they were thinking.  I know what you mean about pink play kitchens, like only women cook (although I wish dh cooked more).  I am a cheap one too, and was lucky enough to find a used one on Kijiji for $15.  I'm just trying to find some nice (inexpensive) play food now.  It's driving me crazy.   

Offline lisi's mum

• Showing Appreciation 155
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 15:34:03 pm »
Ikea do have metal pots and pans, and yes the plates are ceramic, but seem (so far) to be toddler proof!
Katie

Offline ~S~

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 16:10:40 pm »
LORRIEc, I guess ceramic plates would be like a cardboard kitchen for a boy.  My 'pretty wild child for a girl' takes a frisbe and pretends to be a plate, a boy would probably take the plate and pretend it is a frisbe. :D  This may be way to cheap/cheesy, I haven't decided for my self yet,but with the lead thing and my thumb sucking, mouthing everything lo  has me considering it, but anyway I saw where someone just glued pics of food on to cardboard and cut it out to fit on the little plates and in the pots.  Also thought about getting some of the little boxes of cereal, and some smaller boxes of foods that I would normally buy the bigger boxes or bags (like rice) and letting her play with the boxes. .   

Thanks for the IKEA idea, I will see if I can order them.
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05