Author Topic: When would it be ok to try out soy milk again?  (Read 995 times)

Offline appletree

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 51
When would it be ok to try out soy milk again?
« on: December 11, 2007, 05:08:56 am »
Bella's been on rice milk since she switched off soy formula when turned 1 yo.  Now she's about 16 mos. and been on rice milk the entire time & does well on it but soy is covered on WIC and I'm afraid that when she goes back to her biomom (if) that she'll not buy it for her as it's already a problem so she just gives her juice or water a lot of the time. The soy gave her tummy aches when we tried it before, goat's milk made her have severe tummy aches within an hour of drinking it (otherwise, the tummy aches happen at night or bedtime), the lactose free kind and regular milk gave her bad tummy aches too.

My question........should I just continue on the rice milk or try soy again at some point and if so, when?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!!!  ;)
Wendee <3

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: When would it be ok to try out soy milk again?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 12:35:40 pm »
When was the last time you tried soy milk? I'd wait at least 3 months since trying it last time. Big hugs - I know this has to be really rough with all the extenuating factors...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 16:08:49 pm »
I agree with Karen. I think I would also wait until after christmas now as you don't want her having problems this close to christmas really.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline appletree

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 17:28:59 pm »
Ok, I had thought like the first of the year but she supposed to start transitionning home in January so I just wanted to have it all in place so I was sure she was ok with whichever it had to be. Thanks! (Sept. was the last time I tried soy so 3 months would be Jan. so that is when I'll try again - we'll just have to rush it, I suppose).
Wendee <3

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 17:30:21 pm »
Has she ever had allergy testing? Not that it would necessarily show anything but it might not hurt.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 17:33:52 pm »
You could try it before January if you are wanting to try before she starts transitioning. It might not be a good idea to have to rush things anyway. Allergy testing might be a good idea although it does not sound like it would make a difference to biomom anyway from what you have previously posted. If you decide to try before Jan then please let us know how it goes.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline appletree

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 17:39:59 pm »
I don't know if I will. I don't want too many changes at once which would be the only reason I would before Jan. cuz she'd be with me and I could monitor it better. AND then I would know that if biomom didn't have to pay for it that she'd more than likely be getting it. BUT it's not been a full 3 mos. I don't know.......  but I'll let you know what I decide. :P Thanks, Kelly!
Wendee <3