Author Topic: 2 year old birthday party games  (Read 4471 times)

Offline Lissybits

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
2 year old birthday party games
« on: December 13, 2007, 11:30:17 am »
Hi Girls!

It's DS's 2nd birthday next weekend (where does the time go?!)and we're having a small party with about 6 other toddlers (gulp!!).
Does anyone have any ideas for suitable party games or any other tips for me?
Thanks,
 Lis x

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
Re: 2 year old birthday party games
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 12:01:31 pm »
Are the other children older / younger.

You might just like to have it as a 'mega' playdate, put out things to play with instead.  Not sure how easy it will be to organise structured games (trying to organise 6 four year olds to play musical bumps on sunday was pretty tricky, by the time they were either listening / not distracted / investigated somewhere else in the room.

do some singing / action rhymes sitting in a circle

Put on some music for some dancing.

alex

Offline knackered

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 12:23:13 pm »
My 2 year old loves bubbles and there's not so much opportunity for arguments as there are plenty of bubbles for everyone. Get them to try and catch them with their fingers or touch them with their noses. Also maybe get a big blanket and get the other parents to hold the edges and get all the kids underneath and sing as you lift it up and down. Then you can put them all on top of the blanket in the middle and then pull it in a circle with the other parents - again singing a song like 'She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes' or something (my LO loves the 'aye aye yippy yippy aye' bit!).Get a load of balls and put them around the room then get the kids to go and get them and put in a big bucket - then tip them out and do it all again. Hours of fun - well maybe not hours but a few minutes perhaps!!!

Good luck - my LO is 2 in January and I'm considering something similar. Let me know how it goes. What time are you having the party? Before or after nap?

Anna x
Anna x

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 00:09:48 am »
i agree - unless all the guests are older than the birthday boy, you're probably not gonig to need much in the way of structured games.

we put a bunch of various sized beach balls out on the porch for one party (can't remember who just now.   :-[ ) and they were a huge hit (not as dangerous as just putting out a bunch of balloons).
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 00:20:35 am »
Play fun upbeat music and Mums and Toddlers all dance then stop it and say freeze and the LO's have to make stop signs with their hands and shout STOP! Adults model various funny ways to freeze. Put on more music and give out musical instruments like maracas, drums etc...as long as enough for all the LO's, let them swap instruments and have a marching band, conga line, train ride around the room...Choo choo!  May I stress adults MUST be involved with these group activities. End it all with a Twinkle, Twinkle and an Incy Wincy Spider song with hand actions. Have fun!  This is all you really need structured with this age level.

A x

Offline Lissybits

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 19:59:58 pm »
Thanks girls!
The other 6 party guests are between 18mo and 3 yrs! so, yes it is going to be difficult to do anything organised!!
I think I will do as you suggest with balls, music and dancing. I loved the idea with the blanket! And bubbles are cheap and easy to supply - thanks Anna!
I'll also try to scrabble around for enough musical instruments as this would be great with the music Aisling - thanks!
We're starting at 3.30pm (after nap) so everything will finish about 6.30pm at latest I hope!
I'll let you know how it goes - and thanks for the great ideas!
Lis x