Author Topic: Question about egg reaction  (Read 1279 times)

Offline ~S~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« on: December 21, 2007, 04:30:48 am »
Have any of you heard or known of someone reacting to only certain eggs?  What I am wondering is, could my lo be reacting to the feed given to the chickens since she reacts to corn and I think they usually feed chickens corn?  She gets diarrhea.  I could get some local eggs but don't want to just try it out on her.  So thought I would throw this odd question out there, I know it is far fetched, but hopefully some of you will know.  TIA
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Question about egg reaction
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 16:40:11 pm »
I've never heard of that - only of LOs reacting to whole eggs or just the yolks or whites. The only thing even sort of similar I've heard of is that some LOs can handle organic milk but not regular milk but that is likely because organic milk is pasteurized differently. If she gets diarrhea from eggs it's likely an egg intolerance I would think. HTH.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~S~

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 18:57:50 pm »
Thanks.  It was a long shot, just thought I would run it by the experts ;).  I won't try it, but she has been asking for eggs, and having a hard time with variety of  quick, easy, healthy proteins, so thought I'd ask.
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 19:13:20 pm »
I mean you could always try organic or local eggs and see. Especially since diarrhea has been the only reaction (not that diarrhea is good/fun for you or her but at least it's not an anaphlyactic reaction). But I would think all eggs might cause a problem.

As for other proteins, will/can she eat tofu? Beans? Nitrate free lunchmeat? Does she react to all forms of poulty/chicken or just eggs?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline ~S~

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 21:50:24 pm »
Other proteins are alright.  I have been giving her lots of beans, she would ask for turkey (the natural, nitrate free) constantly and now doesn't want it, but will try it again.  She used to eat chicken really well, but lately won't eat much.  Eggs she loved and would eat them cooked any way.  For breakfast I have been making a mix of rice chex or some other corn free cereal, raisins and almonds, or a waffle with nut butter, or hot rice cereal, but lately she hasn't been eating much of the almonds or the waffles or her bread  w/nut butter.  Maybe she is just going through another not hungry phase.  I just would like her to get more protein.  I will try the eggs again later, after I get this better figured out with the corn.  Thanks for the input.
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 22:01:53 pm »
you can definitely try tofu as well. But remember, our LOs don't need a ton of protein. does she eat cheese?

Offline momtonb&ab

• Showing Appreciation 234
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 03:32:28 am »
for what it is worth, dh's uncle can only eat organic eggs.  he has the same problem as your lo with grocery store eggs, but if he buys the organic ones from the market, no issues.  he said he thinks it has something to do with the way they are fed but i don't know if he researched it (he is a university professor, so maybe he has looked more into it).  would it be worth trying them once just to see?  eggs are a huge favorite in our house, and easy on Mom too :)

Offline ~S~

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 15:33:19 pm »
Marisa's Mama-Yes she eats some cheese, and I finally found some corn free yogurt, just of course have to drive an 1 1/2 hrs to find it.  She loves the yogurt and the cheese she will eat a little.  I do have to remind myself that she doesn't need as much protein.  I don't give my los much soy, have you ever read about it affecting them hormonally?

momtonb&abThanks for telling me about your uncle.  At least I don't feel completely crazy or maybe not alone in my craziness ;).  When I try eggs again I will try the ones that are organic or find someone who doesn't feed their chickens corn locally.  I have always wanted chickens, maybe this is reason to get some :), if it works.

Thanks, it is nice to be able to bounce these ideas off of other people.

~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline momtonb&ab

• Showing Appreciation 234
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 02:45:32 am »
hey ~s~

i don't guarantee that my husband's uncle isn't crazy  :D ;D or anything, but i am glad knowing someone else has gone there helps you.....   he is a vegetarian with very strict rules about only eating organic and renitless (sp?) cheese and such so if anyone knows, it is him.   good luck.  When you finally get around to trying eggs again, i would be truly interested in knowing how it turns out, if in fact the organic eggs make a difference.  please pm me or post to let me know :)

Offline Hunter & Sithia's mom

• Showing Appreciation 81
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 02:48:04 am »
I hate to put a fly in your ointment, but I have allergic reactions only to certain eggs.  Mainly farm fresh eggs give me hives instantly, whereas eggs from a grocery store are fine.

Beth
Beth
Mom to Hunter 10-13-04
Sithia 20-04-07