Author Topic: swollen lips  (Read 5876 times)

Offline Lissybits

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
swollen lips
« on: December 26, 2007, 05:33:36 am »
Hello,
24mo DS woke this morning with swollen lips and maybe 3 or 4 blotches on his tummy. Could this be an allergic reaction to something he's eaten?
I can't really pin point what it could have been as he ate a lot yesterday as we all did! He ate a biscuit with nuts in it although I broke up the biscuit and purposely didn't allow him to eat the nuts. He does eat peanut butter (smooth) with no problem.
Any ideas? I think I will run him by the doctors later.
Thanks,
Lis.

Offline appletree

• Showing Appreciation 51
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 05:47:16 am »
Sounds like allergic reaction to me. Is his breathing ok? Tongue swollen? I'd call the Dr. 1st thing. Some kids can be allergic to certain nuts. With me, I can eat peanuts sometimes without a reaction but walnuts and pecans ALWAYS make my mouth swell.  :P
Wendee <3

Offline Lissybits

• My world!
Re: swollen lips
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 11:35:28 am »
Hi Appletree,
Thanks for the quick response. He didn't have any breathing difficulties but we took him to the Drs anyway.
She said, after asking numerous question sthe allergy was probably caused by some new toys he had for Christmas!
The Dr narrowed down to some plastic play food that we bought to go with his new mini kitchen.When we were playing yesterday, he kept putting "the food" in his mouth. That's scary isn't it?
However, the Dr has given us a testing programme to follow in 10 days time to check for food allergies - I'll let you know. Thanks again for your advice.

How's things with your DD's sleeping? DD has started coming in with us in the middle of the night after an ear infection and I was going to start with WIWO tonight to get him sleeping in his cot all night again. I suppose I'll have to wait a while now!
Hope your enjoying the hols!
Lis and Nicholas
xx

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 13:05:42 pm »
Sounds like a heavy allergic reaction to me  :-\

I would make an allergy test in January when all went down...

Also try give him some antihistamines, as the blotches are usually quite itchy

Offline Lissybits

• My world!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 15:56:41 pm »
Hi,
DS ate lunch and then we gave him the cortisone tablet Dr had given - he sicked it straight up :-\
He went down for his nap ok, but when he woke his body was absolutely covered in the blotches and he was itching them and was very understandably whingy - I was really worried.
We rang the Dr and she said to give another tablet. We did and now he seems more himself  :P. Very frightening though. Do you really think this could be a reaction to the plastic play food?
Lis x

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 17:15:29 pm »
Hugs Lis - just saw this
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline appletree

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 20:26:06 pm »
The only thing I know of would be high levels of lead or the plastic itself. Like some people are allergic to latex. But, you'd think there'd be other times that it would've happened since plastic toys are pretty prevalent.

I agree with Steffi, see if you can give him Benadryl - that helps SO MUCH!!!!

DD has been better the past 2 nights. She's having trouble falling to sleep but then is up 4-6x as usual. Is easier to get her back to sleep though. She has a nasty cough and yucky nose again. She just got off antibiotics a week ago. Thanks for asking.  :) 
Wendee <3

Offline Shdef

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 20:31:24 pm »
Best things are really antihistamines and cortisone combination. If he sicks it up again, doctor can give a jab, that works even better.

It may be the plastic, but it could also be something else and as soon as he is back to normal he needs an allergy test. It could also be peanuts, fish, latex, etc...

Hugs, it's scary I know

Offline Lissybits

• My world!
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 03:08:08 am »
Thanks for the reassurance girls - it's been really frightening.
DS went to bed last night fine but woke up at 12.30 whimpering. Imagine my shock when I turned the light on to see his eyes had completely swollen. We rang the Dr immediately and she told us to give another cortisone. He slept for about 2 hours but his eyes haven't gone down.
It's 4.30am now and we're watching Thomas DVDs - it's the only thing to distract him from until morning when we'll go straight to the Dr.
It's hard to believe that whatever he ate on Christmas day (I'm thinking either turkey stuffing which had nuts at 2.30pm or a biscuit with nuts at 7pm) is still affecting his body over 24 hrs later.
Dr mentioned we should do a testing programme in 10 days time but isn't this really dangerous if he eats the offending food again? I've read the allergy gets worse?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 03:12:32 am »
Big hugs Lis - I know how you're feeling. Keep us posted.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline appletree

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 04:08:39 am »
I had allergy testing and it was just the scratch test and they swelled like hives in the spots of things I was allergic to (basically everything  ::) ).  When they made the serum for allergy shots to help make it better, that's when it got worse and I had to stop the treatment. BUT, I am in the minority, rarely do the shots work that way.

The actual testing is very controlled and they have benadryl/antihistamines on hand and epinephrine if it gets really out of hand but I've not heard of that happening with just the testing.

Sounds very scary, poor little guy.  :(  Hope all gets better soon!!!  ((((hugs)))) to both of you.
Wendee <3

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 08:30:53 am »
I am so sorry your son had such an terrible reaction. You could have RAST tests done which involves some blood being taken and then it is tested in the labs. This may be a better option at this stage if you are worried about reactions.

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Shdef

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 11:14:38 am »
Oh the same thing happened to Jenn, with the eyes as well. Be careful, give cortisone and antihistamine but he needs to see a doc, they can make it go down right away with a jab.

Hugs  :-*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 12:55:12 pm »
How's he feeling today?

Offline Lissybits

• My world!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 15:27:03 pm »
Well, we've had a terrible few days. After going to the Drs on Thursday morning we were sent straight to a children's hospital.
They gave DS a antidote and other injections and also did various blood tests. We weren't discharged until lunch time today as the welts kept disappearing and returning.
The Drs told us not to give fish, eggs, nuts or chocolate and when the rash has finally gone we are to make an appointment with an allergist to do some skin tests. They also warned that the rash will appear and disappear for up to 4 weeks.
In the meantime we are giving Atarax every 8 hours and Xozal drops every 12 hours.
We are very apprehensive as we live on an island and there are no boats to the mainland during the night.
Of course, as soon as we got home this afternoon the rash came back with avengence, just hope it fades again soon  :'(.
Any thoughts girls?
Lis
xx