Author Topic: Welts on Leg - Cinnamon? (LONG) - Updated With Photos  (Read 8077 times)

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Welts on Leg - Cinnamon? (LONG) - Updated With Photos
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 08:43:43 am »
I hope things are starting to get better. I would take her to see the ped just to be sure.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2007, 11:13:15 am »
Benadryl on its own didn't help for Jenn's allergic reaction either, but it made the itching better. What really helped was the jab they gave her with cortisone, stronger antihistamines and saline (which doesn't do anything, right?)

It could be the sprinkles... were they peanut sprinkles? Or sugar with odd colours? Jenn isn't good with some artificial colours but okay with others.

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 12:30:57 pm »
How are things??

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2007, 12:52:10 pm »
Thanks everyone! Actually, she slept from about 9:15-7:20 and looks a lot better this morning. Still some areas there but no welts right now - just small areas of hives, much less of them and much less angry looking. So I guess for now will hold off and bring her to the Ped tomorrow morning if need be?

Also - Casey - it supposedly wasn't even about the family secret but she said I was "rude on the message" on her machine. PLEASE - I had actually gone out of my way to be  nice saying happy holidays and we missed them the other day and the cookies were good and not to worry, etc. Argh. Did allergy testing show anything for your DD?

Should we wait until Monday/when the hives go completely away to do the blood test?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 12:54:36 pm by Marisa'sMama »
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2007, 13:01:00 pm »
I'm so glad things are better/improving.

Don't think another moment about the woman and her cookies - I bet she felt bad M was ill and she was sort of the cause of it and that is how the emotion came out - defensive.

I have no idea about the blood/allergy testing.  But my thinking with O is to avoid the doctors office unless absolutely needed as there are so many really ill children there with viruses and what have you... I'd hate for him to catch something while there, if we didn't REALLY need to be there.  But that said, you have to do what your gut tells you - perhaps a phone call the the nurse to update and ask if there is anything else to do.  Perhaps she too would know about when to do the testing.

My head says they would want to wait for this reaction to completely subside before testing to be sure there isn't a surge of antibodies in her blood from this episode.

Hugs  :-*

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 13:25:40 pm »
Thanks again Zoey - you guys have all been so amazingly helpful and supportive (as always). I think I will hold off and not bring her in unless it really takes a turn for the worse again. I just wish I knew what caused it want to make sure it doesn't happen again!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline meltown

• Showing Appreciation 130
    • Living a Frugal Life
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2007, 17:20:30 pm »
I think you should definatly get an allergy test for her.  and you do have to wait until the reaction is gone to get it done.  it is really helpful to know what caused the reaction.  good luck!  hope she keeps getting better!
Melissa
http://www.livingafrugallife.com - Frugal Living

mom to:
Braxton 09/06/2006
Reagan 03/27/2008
Kiley 09/27/2010
Quinn 02/10/2013
Madison 08/07/2021

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2007, 18:42:24 pm »
Definitely going to go for the allergy testing next week, Melissa. But for know (fingers and toes crossed, double knock wood) DD seems to be on the mend. Gave her a lukewarm bath before lunch and the hives are WAY down. Gave her Benadryl anyway to keep them on the way out and she's napping now. Hopefully they stay away and we figure this out soon.

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2007, 18:52:39 pm »
Just saw this  :o

HUGS to you Karen and get well vibes for Miss Marisa.  :-*

A x

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2007, 19:18:04 pm »
I'd talk to the doc, but I think I'd definitely wait for the reaction to be gone before testing.  When we did it, K got an "all clear" from the doc but the process was pretty easy.  They did it on her back and the worst part was the pricks (of course) but then she had to lay flat on her tummy for a few minutes to let the liquid/allergen get into the pin pricks.  K didn't cry with the pricks (didn't like them, but didn't cry) but really didn't like having to lay flat.  I think if I did it at this age, I'd probably lay on my back and have her lay tummy-to-tummy and have DH try to keep her still.  At least I could make silly faces at her and give her something to do!  The allergy doc that we saw was really good and specialized in children so she had a lot of tricks up her sleeve and oodles of toys too.

Keep us posted!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2007, 20:02:35 pm »
I'd talk to the doc, but I think I'd definitely wait for the reaction to be gone before testing. 

Definitely. Results aren't right when the reaction is still there, we got the same advice from the ped.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2007, 22:31:21 pm »
Thanks again everyone. This will be the blood (RAST) test, not the skin prick test for now and bloods will just be drawn at a lab - so unfortunately no wating room with fun toys or doctors with good kid tricks. But DH and I will both go and bring some books and her DVD player along too. We'll probably do that Monday. For now, just SO happy the hives are almost gone and DD in a better mood too! Next step to figure out what she reacted to. Other than the cookie, maybe cranberry juice? She had it for the first time Monday but only a very small amount and then more again Tuesday afternoon. Not really sure...

Offline carybear

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2007, 04:30:25 am »
I have an allergy to cinnamon.  I get hives if I eat too much.   It's funny, I can't eat any Cinnamon candy, gum, or anything "flavored" cinnamon. But I can eat a lot of the spice before I get hives from it.  Crazy.  I love love love cinnamon Life but I can only eat it two mornings in a row before I get itchy.  but give me a cinnamon heart or piece of gum and my mouth gets little bisters and then I begin hives...
So don't assume that it's NOT cinnamon.  the extract or flavoring is a totally different breed of cinnamon that the spice we put on toast or in food.  So I am actually VERY cautious about it. I watch ALL lotions (espeically christmas scents) and I check ALL massage oils or warming oils I use. I simply can't risk it. 
So good luck.  I hope it is easily cleared up. just please be careful.  Happy Hollidays!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2007, 12:58:32 pm »
Thanks Carybear, that is very helpful. I have heard that the spice is a different type of "food" before. Which will the blood test check for?

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2007, 17:15:30 pm »
Karen - This is more for your other post about red dye, but there's a thread that was fascinating to follow about a mom who was trying to eliminate red and yellow dye from her DD's diet and the behavior changes from it.  (Sorry this reply is on the wrong post!)
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt