Author Topic: milk allergy/intolerance symptoms?  (Read 922 times)

Offline maggie2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
milk allergy/intolerance symptoms?
« on: December 27, 2007, 13:27:09 pm »
We recently switched ds from raw milk to pasteurized and are now dealing with diarrhea/really gross poop seemingly every time he has a glass of milk ???  He tolerated the raw milk just fine (many people who are intolerant of cows milk say they can drink clean raw milk without any reaction due to the enzymes, etc. still being intact :-\), but we gave him his first glass of regular milk last week and within a few hours/later that day, he had diarrhea.  I put him on a BRAT diet for about 24 hours and stopped the milk and it cleared up quickly.  Then yesterday, I decided to try the milk again because I was thinking that his previous bout of diarrhea was probably just a little stomach bug or something, but he had diarrhea again!  Stopped the milk and now he's fine again ???  It was at least a week in between the two glasses and he was fine that whole week.

Is diarrhea alone a sign of intolerance or allergy?  Oh yeah - and the other day SIL fed him 2 bowls of ice cream and he threw up afterward - could be totally unrelated (probably just too much dessert!!!! ::))  I'm still wondering if it's just coincidence or he truely had a reaction to it.  He did have a reaction as an infant when we introduced formula - dairy based and soy (blood/mucous in diaper) and we were on alimentum formula.  But he's now 2 1/2.

what do you all think?

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 13:34:17 pm »
I think it's the milk  :-\ DH gets exactly that reaction from milk, too. However, he is fine with cheddar cheese  ???

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: milk allergy/intolerance symptoms?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 13:37:16 pm »
Definitely sounds like the milk to me too. Some people can handle organic (ultra pasteurized) milk but not regular grocery store milk.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 20:52:57 pm »
It sounds like the milk to me aswell.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

em_here

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 20:59:48 pm »
Me too, definately sounds like the milk x