Author Topic: Lactose Intolerance  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Lactose Intolerance
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 21:02:25 pm »
Could it be possible that she has a milk intolerance and not just lactose? Alimentum and Nutramigen are both lactose free but also are "hypoallergenic" - while they still contain milk proteins (I think 21% for Nutramigen and 17% for Alimentum) they are broken down and easier to digest.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

em_here

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 21:03:41 pm »
I agree, I am afraid, if the LF milk doesnt help 100% I think maybe it is the milk protein too. My dd was a lot like Cerys until we got special milk, as you know

Big huggles Vicki

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
  • mischief makers........
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 21:05:04 pm »
i dont know yet....dr said we ll try this milk for a couple of months and see how she goes.....

I told him id blamed alot of the green loose  (and explosive) poops on teething....it was coz her sleep was getting worse and worse...and he said no he wouldn't put all those things down to teething.... :(
Mummy to

Megan Marjorie Alice 12/07/03
and
Cerys Elizabeth Rose 29/05/07

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 21:29:00 pm »
I agree with the doctor and wouldn't put it all down to teething. But it is relatively rare (although certainly not unheard of) for a Caucasian baby to have lactose intolerance - much more common to be intolerant to the milk protein instead (lactose is the sugar). And based on what you've told me about her it sounds more like MPI to me although I could certainly be wrong. As for what others say, don't worry about that. When my DD was suffering from reflux and MPI as a babe many told me she just had colic or that's just how she was. But I trusted my gut and once on the right formula and for her reflux meds for a time she was a different LO! Sure she still cried and still had some napping issues and all but it was totally different.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 21:32:54 pm »
I agree with the doctor and wouldn't put it all down to teething. But it is relatively rare (although certainly not unheard of) for a Caucasian baby to have lactose intolerance - much more common to be intolerant to the milk protein instead (lactose is the sugar). And based on what you've told me about her it sounds more like MPI to me although I could certainly be wrong. As for what others say, don't worry about that. When my DD was suffering from reflux and MPI as a babe many told me she just had colic or that's just how she was. But I trusted my gut and once on the right formula and for her reflux meds for a time she was a different LO! Sure she still cried and still had some napping issues and all but it was totally different.

Yes - although this evening shes been a bit unsettled, overall we have seen a changein her - much more happy and settled..
Mummy to

and

Offline IrishDancer_Tara

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 23:46:22 pm »
I feel for you
I have been allergic to dairy all my life (I am now 27)  They thougth it was lactose intolerance and I tried everything, but in the end I am allergic to the actual proteins in the milk.
If you are worried for when she is older (in regards to getting calcium) there are a lot of alternatives.  For now I would continue with the lactose free formula and purees that you are making.  When she gets a bit older try the dairy again....as there is a chance she could out grow it.
Good luck to you and your LO

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 07:27:35 am »
If the symptoms don't go away completely I would certainly ask to try the nutramigen as it does sound more like MPI to me aswell. It is also possible that nutramigen may not work well as it is still based on cows milk so you would then have to go to an amino acid based formula like neocate. However it could be lactose intolerance and in that case the symptoms should dissapear completely on the formula you are using. Please don't worry about what other people think, I was told by my father in law that my son did not have food allergies even though he was covered from head to toe in eczema. The fact that his flares obviously were related to certain foods including dairy when you looked at the food diary I had done made no difference to him. It is only recently that he has realised now that my sons eczema is under control and he can see his reactions to foods if he accidently comes into contact with something he should not have.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 20:37:24 pm »
Thank you kelly  :-*  and Tara (is it Tara?)  :-*

im gonna plod on with the LF milk for now - she seems so much better at the mo...the only thing is that now she seems a bit constipated... :-\
Mummy to

and