Author Topic: What do you think? Opinions, please!  (Read 1527 times)

Offline arabesque

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
What do you think? Opinions, please!
« on: January 09, 2008, 02:56:56 am »
Hi, DS Toby is nearly six months and on paed's advice (low weight gain) we started solids. The first few days I gave rice cereal mixed with formula (Day 1 and 2 as I can't express, then cooled boiled water) and he became very constipated. We stopped the rice cereal and gave pear, and finally had a poo after a week (he usually goes several times a day) assisted by prune juice.

This week we replaced the rice cereal with oat cereal, which seemed okay the first time, he threw up the second time while eating (but wanted more...I didn't give more) then was fine the third time while eating but threw up badly last night (14hours after the oats...).

I've been making his cereal with cooled boiled water because he can't tolerate the formula and I can't get anything when I try to express. The only other foods he's had are pear (which he likes) and pumpkin (which he wouldn't eat).

I know that if they reject a food it can be an allergy/intolerance, because even the smell can cause a reaction, that's why we didn't continue with pumpkin. But he ate the oats and seemed to quite like them.

Please let me know what you think I should do - drop solids, stick with pear only, drop oats and replace with something else?
DS1 July 2007; DS2 April 2010; DD September 2014

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: What do you think? Opinions, please!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:59:59 am »
I would definately drop the oats for now. I would stick with the pear for a little while and then slowly try and introduce other fruits and vegetables. I would stick to one at a time and introduce only one new food a week at this stage. Solids are more for practice at this stage anyway as your breast milk will still be providing the main source of nutrition.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 13:37:39 pm »
ITA with Kelly. Also, grains can be quite hard on our LOs tummies - many can't tolerate them at such a young age. Continue with pear for now and maybe try some banana next? Bananas and avocado tend to be pretty good first foods.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 17:37:41 pm »
agree totally with the others.i would stick with friut and veg too.
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Lissybits

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 20:37:09 pm »
You could also try mixing the fruit with the rice too to make it a bit more filling. I made my own rice by cooking normal pudding rice and blending it with b milk.
We followed Annabel Karmel's book when we started DS on solids - it gives you a food plan to follow although we did it a bit more slowly than suggested.
Good luck!
Lis x

Offline laurenhendo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 22:22:36 pm »
Hey there BecandToby

I totally agree with the other posts re: fruit and veg.

My lo (7.5 months) is a big girl for her age and we were encouraged when we started solids to make sure she gets enough cereal to fill her up. It never constipated her, but when we started rice and oats, she became very unsettled. She had never slept through the night, but once i cut the ceral out completely and switched her to only fruits and vegies with a tiny bit of meat occasionally, she started sleeping through the night and was much more settled during the day. It is true that grains can be very hard on their tummies and can cause all sorts of probs for bubs that can't handle them yet.

I have a post about it in night wakings called 'never would have guessed' if you want to have a look.

Hope that helps.

LH

Offline ~S~

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 22:39:05 pm »
You also, if you haven't already, might  post on the breastfeeding thread about the slow weight gain, for peace  of mind.  My lo1 was small and her doc told me to supplement, but the lactation consultant, told me to watch that she was growing steady for her and to not be worried by the charts. 
~S~

lo1 3/99
lo2 9/05

Offline arabesque

• Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 22:54:02 pm »
Hi everyone, thanks for the wonderful replies!

Since stopping cereals, things have been much better. Still struggling with constipation a little, but much better than before.

Toby now eats avocado, sweet potato, and pumpkin and potato mash. His favourite is still pears though! We are just taking it a little at a time, giving a good few days of a new food, and things are great :)

Thanks again!
DS1 July 2007; DS2 April 2010; DD September 2014

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 07:08:08 am »
I am glad things are going well now. That is great news ;D

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker