Author Topic: Nap times for baby, 7.5months!  (Read 791 times)

Offline vbeck

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Nap times for baby, 7.5months!
« on: January 15, 2008, 10:06:08 am »
Hi, not been on here for a while just wanted some guidance, my ds is 7.5 months, goes to bed at 6.30-7 and sleeps through till 6ish when he will have a bottle and today fell straight back to sleep till 8, by 9.50 he was showing tired signs so i put him down and he went straight to sleep but will prob only sleep for 30 mins?? should i try to extend this or is this all he needs, i think he needs longer cause he still seems tired when he wakes! He will then have his lunch at 12ish and by 1 really tired and ready for another nap but im lucky if he sleeps for an hour, then after this we will go out in pram and he will maybe have a little catnap but im worried his not getting enough naps in day... any advice appreciated

Offline deckchariot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
Re: Nap times for baby, 7.5months!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 17:09:59 pm »
Does he usually go straight back to sleep after he wakes at 6? Would it work for you to start your day with him then?  Can you post your generally EASY routine?
Michelle

Offline vbeck

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 16:59:14 pm »
No because sometimes its 5.30 and this is too early to start our day.....
 Today he woke at 7.30 had his breakfast and then we had to go out at 9 so he fell asleep in car but as soon as i got him out he woke and then when we got home at 10.40 he had fallen asleep again so put him in cot but he only slept till 11.15? then at 12.30 we had to go out again and he fell asleep in his pram about 2 but only slept for 30 mins and his still awake now, most days we will be at home in morning so he sleeps for maybe 45 mins (at the most) from about 9.30ish, had lunch at 12ish and when he has his bottle about 1ish ill put him down about 1.30ish and he has no trouble going to sleep (normally) but its staying asleep that is the problem, i tried yesterday morning to get him back to sleep and i did but only for another 10 mins!

This is rough..

Wake 5.30-6 bottle back to sleep

Wake 7.30-8  Porridge

Sleep Around 9.30ish(depends what time his woke but is usually rubbing his eyes after an hour of waking, sleeps for 30mins)

Eat Lunch at 12 bottle at 1ish

Sleep around 1.30 (30mins)

If we are out in pram he will catnap for maybe 20 mins and then this is it, sometimes i can get him to have another little sleep around 3-4ish but again it will be for 30mins at the most!

East dinner at 4.30

Bath/Bottle 6ish
Bed 6.30-7 till morning

Offline deckchariot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 19:00:12 pm »
I wouldn't want to start my day at 5:30 either, so I can see why you put him back to bed!  Is there a reason he's only getting 3 bottles a day?  7.5 months seems really young to switch from 4 bottles to 3.  How many ounces is he getting a day?  I also notice that you're doing solids before milk except for his first bottle.  Until he's a year, his primary nutrition should be coming from milk, and most moms find that if they offer solids first, their lo's don't take as much milk.  So I'm actually wondering if he's having trouble napping because he's hungry - which also might be why he's waking early in the am.  Then again, he may be taking in enough ounces during the day and that's not it at all.

I would suggest lengthening his A time a bit.  At 7.5 months, he really should be closer to 3 hrs of A time.  I know with my dd at this age, her tired cues were actually boredom cues - I could never tell when she was really tired, I'd put her down when I thought she was tired, but she would only nap 40ish min.  Turns out, she wasn't tired enough to get a full nap in.

So if he gets up at 7:30, try to keep him up til 10:30 - though I wouldn't do that all in one day, lengthen his A time by 10-15 min a day.  You may find that if he begins to nap better, he won't wake so early in the am.  When my dd was that age, her routine was a bit like this:

E - 7:30 (upon waking)
A - solids breakfast at 8:30
S - 10:15/10:30

E  - 12/12:30 (upon waking)
A - solids around 1:30
S - 3/3:30

E - 4:30/5
A - solids around 5

start bedtime routine around 7, eat at 7:30 then to bed.

He may be accustomed now to the 5:30 bottle - have you tried doing a small feed there, to have his main feed when he wakes?

I'm guessing the running around today didn't help his naps any, sometimes you just have a day like that.  I would definitely try lengthening his A time.  Generally 45 min naps are due to being undertired.  But I am wondering about the milk intake as well if that's connected. 

Hang in there, I know its hard when your lo doesn't nap.  Hang in there!!!
Michelle