Author Topic: rash an allergy to avocado?  (Read 5693 times)

Offline elliesmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« on: January 17, 2008, 15:03:41 pm »
Hi! How can you tell if a face rash is a allergic reaction to food?  My dd has eczema on her face and it's been under control since we've been using Aquafor on it.  Yesterday she had her first avocado and last night and this morning her face is beet red and clearly uncomfortable  :o  Is this a reaction to the new food?  Dh is mildly allergic to latex: bananas and avocados make his tonghe itch he says.  At our last visit the ped said that those allergies probably wouldn't show up and to go ahead and giver the foods to her.  What do you think?
Laurie

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: rash an allergy to avocado?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 20:44:39 pm »
First of all if your dh has food allergies then your dd has a higher chance of having them. Your dd also has eczema which can be caused by food allergies but not always, other things in the enviroment can also cause it to flare. My son reacted to avocado the first time we tried it, his eczema flared on face almost immediately and it went puffy.

I hope I have been of some help.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline elliesmama

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 21:36:10 pm »
How long did you wait until you gave it to him again?  My sister said to wait until the rash cleared up and give it to her again.
Laurie

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 22:14:33 pm »
My DD reacted to avocado as an infant around 7-8 months. Bad hives/welts on her face, especially her forehead. We immediately stopped and didn't try again until she had some homemade guacamole at about a year and seemed ok with it then, although she doesn't love it.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline elliesmama

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 05:30:15 am »
Now I'm wondering if the rash could also have been because I forgot to put her moisturizer on her face yesterday and she was in this terry cloth type sleeper all day that could have irritated her.  I don't know.  Is it better to give the food again soon so that you can see for sure if that was the cause of it?  I'd just hate to do that if it was the avocado.
Laurie

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 07:28:00 am »
I would definately wait until it has completely cleared so it is obvious if there is a reaction or not. The other thing you have to remember is that the reaction can be worse the second time. In fact a reaction can become more severe at any point. I know when James was a baby he was reacting to regular formula but it was not obvious as his eczema was already bad due to the allergens he had been reacting to in my breast milk. At that point his only reactions he had to milk was severe eczema but now if he has any accidental exposure his eczema flares, he gets hives, his face and lips go slightly puffy and he getsstomach pain followed by yucky nappies.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline elliesmama

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 03:23:57 am »

huh.  great point.
Laurie