Author Topic: Not so EASY  (Read 2579 times)

Offline MJMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 93
  • Do you like my sassy orange crocs?
Re: Not so EASY
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 04:52:59 am »
Didn't realize he was still sleeping in your room.  Yes, you're right.  That doesn't help.  There may be times that he might have been able to settle himself without you, but that makes it more difficult in the same room as you wake each other up.

What are his more recent new tricks?  e.g. crawling, pulling up.

Couple of thoughts:
1. Teething could certainly be a culprit
2. Could it be he is not getting enough physical activity?  Meaning, not enough time to practice his skills?  There is a delicate balance here because he is already OT, so you may want to try it in the morning to make sure he can get his energy out, but then leave plenty of time for a long wind down.  After DD learned new tricks, her sleep would go to crap because she would rather crawl around her crib all night long than sleep.  She was OT and cranky for a week or so and then start sleeping again.  Just a thought.  This may not be your guy.

Do you have a consistent wind down ritual?  And once he woke up, did you try to get him back down again?
Alissa
~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Jazzy Jan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 06:20:25 am »
Yes still sleeps in our room.  I have to admit it seems to have improved  somewhat.  I have tried to be consistent with the winding down and I just find it hard to calm him down.  He just so active and is not gaining weight very well due to his speedy crawling and standing, etc.  But he has slept for 1 hour and then 2 again so he is getting better and putting himself back to sleep.  This must be working after all!!  But we did have a very hard time with him napping this afternoon.  He slept for 20 mins then was up again screaming his head off.  Poor little guy.  We now keep him up 3 hours then he goes down for naps. Still flips over when we put him down for a nap or sleep, so we have to stay with him and pat his back until he falls asleep.  When he is OT it is nearly impossible to get him to sleep.

When he wakes we try and put him down right away again.  He is a little monkey tho!  Teething is not helping and his face is always so itchy as he always wants to scratch.  I have to put little gloves on him so he doesnt scratch his face off.  But he is getting tricky and can take one of them off.

Are you in the UK?

Offline Jazzy Jan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 23:09:14 pm »
We are now on week 3.  Small improvements but am still going thru hell. He has had 2 days of naps consisting of 1 hour each but the last 2 days he has been terrible and wakes up all the time.  He seems to be constantly overtired and trying to get him to go to sleep is a terrible upsetting battle for both of us.  I end up in tears as he finally goes to sleep 45 - an hour later.  Last night he was up for 3 hours and just wouldn't settle and go back to sleep.  I don't want to start any new habits so am having a difficult time with him.  He seems to be adjusting to the 3 hour activity and no catnap before dinner but now usually falls asleep at the breast at night when I put him to sleep.  I try to wake him up but he is just out.  My logs of when this happens he just has a terrible night.  What am I doing wrong?  Why won't he sleep?  I thought he would get the idea by now but it just doesn't seem much better at all.  I am so tired and frustrated and don't know what to do anymore.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? :'(

Offline vadensmommy

• Showing Appreciation 61
  • Sweet girl!
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 22:22:28 pm »
Hey Jan!
Sorry to hear you are still having such a hard time!
Is he still in the same room with you?  Is there anyway you can move him out?

Offline Jazzy Jan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2008, 23:07:53 pm »
Hi.  No, we cannot move him out as we are rennovating our house to make bedrooms downstairs for him and us.  He actually fell asleep on his own last night. First time ever and slept until 1135 then sleep again at 1145 then woke up at 1 and wouldn't go back to sleep until 330.  Was a rough night.  He wasn't crying just awake and alert.  At least he was only up 2 times!!  ha ha but staying up for 2 hours was really hard on me.   I am getting discouraged to say the least and am very tired.  His naps have been bad too, he wakes up after 20 mins crying and takes 45 to get him back down.  very stressful for him and me.  I am thinking I am missing his 'window' and that is why he keeps waking up miserable?  He usually wakes up all smiles, even if he only naps for half an hour, but then he gets tired and whiny faster so he could use another nap later on.  But I have eliminated that 500ish catnap.  Any suggestions?

Offline MJMom

• Showing Appreciation 93
  • Do you like my sassy orange crocs?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 16:40:21 pm »
Jan,

Can you post his latest routine?  It sounds like he may be getting over tired.

30 minutes is generally OT, so you would need to put him down sooner
45 minutes is generally indicative of not enough A time.

It does sound like you are making progress, but I do know how tiresome those middle of the night wake ups are!

Alissa
~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Jazzy Jan

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 19:17:00 pm »
Last night was an awful night again.  He was up every half hour from 1130 until 330. I just don't understand why he can't stay asleep.  Someone told me that baby whisperer won't work on him as he is too old as it is geared for babies no older than 12 weeks.  Crap cause he is 8 months and the book does say it can be adjusted.  I don't know now.  Here is his latest routine. 

730 awake
750 bfeed
830 cereal
plays in exersaucer, crawls and stands on stuff
1100 sleep
1130 awake
1215 bfeed
1230 lunch
plays in exersaucer, crawls and stands on stuff
240 sleep
305 awake
315 sleep
345 awake
430 bfeed
crawls and stands on stuff
600 dinner
crawls around and stands on stuff until about 715 then hold him and walk up and down stairs to mellow him out a bit - how else should I be trying to wind him down?
815 sleep

I try to get him ready for bed around 730 but it takes a long time to get him to actually fall asleep.  I rub his back and tell him he is going to sleep and it is ok over and over and over.  My back is killing me from bending over for hours in the middle of the night.  Just not sure how much more I can do before it gives out!  I must be doing something wrong.  He just doesn't sleep!!  Aaaa

Offline vadensmommy

• Showing Appreciation 61
  • Sweet girl!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 22:35:52 pm »
Hey Jan!

I don't think he is too old to get on a good routine, or too old to teach how to sleep independently.  Better he learn how to sleep independently NOW than you be up all night with him in a few more months or a few more years. 

He may be overtired.  His first A time of the day was 3.5hrs, and that seems a bit long to me, but my dd typically sleeps the average amount or a bit more than average -so every baby is obviously different!  Her A times now are about 3.5hrs.  I think MJ usually is awake more than average - is that right Alissa?

I know initially we talked about increasing his A times, but maybe we've gone too far?  What about trying a 3hr A time first thing in the morning, then a 3-3.5hr  A time btwn am and pm nap.  So maybe this:
A times 7:30-10:30
nap 10:30-11:30
A times 11:30 or whenever he wakes from nap-2:30-3 -or whenever you think tiredness is coming on - cues are iffy I'm sure ;)
A times 4:30 or whenever he wakes-7 or 7:30 bedtime - earlier if bad pm nap to prevent OT.

What do you think?

Other questions:
Is there a bathroom or something that you can put his crib or a pak-n-play in where he can't immediately see you when he wakes?  Or a screen or partition or put him right outside the bedroom door?  Even if it means moving things around a bit?  I am grasping at straws here I realize. 

When he wakes at night -what do you do?  Is he crying when he wakes, or just being active?  Are you doing any put down?

I have to say this:  I am imagining what I would be like/do if I were in your shoes.  If vaden was still in my bedroom, I would probably jump up and check on her at every single sneeze and whimper, which would, in turn probably increase her night wakings and issues being able to self soothe because she would get used to me intervening WAYYYYY to much.  I am a sleep nazi, so if she were to have a crib party in my room between 1-3am, you better believe I would do all the AP in the world to get her to go back to sleep so I could get my OWN rest.  Obviously months of that would make things worse.  All of these things was the main reason dd moved to her own room at 7wks old!!

So, again, if I woke up in your shoes tomorrow, vaden would be sleeping in the bathroom, or living room, or kitchen, or somewhere else, or DH and I would be sleeping on a blow up mattress in the basement where there is sawdust everywhere and I could move it whenever the workers came in, and I'd be doing pu/pd religiously and sleeping every single time vaden did just to get some sleep to be more prepared to continue the pu/pd, or really just pd in your case because he is standing.  In three months with ridiculous commitment to sleep training things *should* be much much better.  That would mean-no bringing him to your bed, no rocking to sleep, no boob to sleep, etc.  Very very hard work.

Any of this sound familiar?  Because I am giving the advice that I would give my imagined self if I were in your shoes - if that makes sense??

If I am so way off base, let me know, I don't mind, just thinking outloud! :)