Author Topic: Does anyone's lo actually eat vegetables?  (Read 6619 times)

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Does anyone's lo actually eat vegetables?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 00:31:05 am »
Offer Kayla broccoli (can't spell) or a cookie and she'll take the broccoli  ::)

She isn't a big fan of sweets, and actually seems to like savery foods more. She really likes salsa for example, and not mild either, she likes the medium stuff (to hot for me)

Once we were at a reseption were you could pick your own food and she went up to the table, looked at the desserts and walked away, saw the broccoli and exclaimed "TREES!!!" and grabbed it and started eating. LOL cutest thing I have ever seen.

Kimberly

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 02:19:41 am »
Count your blessings!!!  You are very lucky.  Let's hope your new baby is like the same way! 

I think Tyler (my DS2) is going to be like Kayla.  Zach has always been a small and picky eater.  Tyler eats and eats and eats and we just started solids and he loves them!

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline marensmama

• Showing Appreciation 202
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 04:02:26 am »
My DD1 eats her veggies very well, although she would prefer to eat carbs and any dessert over veggies anytime. ;D

My nutritionist at our Public Health Unit suggests not hiding veggies, because then they will never eat them by choice as they don't know they've been eating them all along.  One suggestion she did have that has been helpful is to have your toddler help pick out the veggies while grocery shopping and help prepare them...  Grocery shopping is my special weekly outing with my toddler (she loves to help) and she helps Daddy make the salads, put the veggies in the steamer etc.  When they've contributed, they are more excited about eating them because there is some ownership there.  She also said not to make an issue out of eating or not eating because your toddler sees the importance you attach to it, and will use it as a bargaining tool.  Smart little monkeys!!

HTH!
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls

Offline maggie2

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 14:52:59 pm »
What's funny is that when we go grocery shopping, ds gets so excited in the produce section and yells out "ooooooh!!  Vegetables....  DELICIOUS!!!"  He picks out his veggies and then when it comes time to eat them he says "yuck". ???

Maybe he'll just come round eventually!

As far as the hiding veggies thing goes - I've always thought it was a good idea to get a little extra nutrition into them - as long as veggies are being offered seperately and frequently.  I don't view it as "tricking" them as I would fully disclose all the ingredients if asked.  I view it the same way as I view giving a vitamin, except this way you have the advantage of getting vitamins from whole foods.  What's wrong with having a vegetable be an ingredient in some other dishes?

Although I have to admit that the argument about the vitamin content being diminished from so much cooking is a really good point - hadn't thought of that one...

thanks again to all of you for your wisdom on this topic!!!!!!!

Offline sophiems

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • My 3 monkeys!
    • Cloudy with a Chance of Books
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 17:29:49 pm »
fun thread.  Of course with so many Mom temperaments adn so many child temperaments, there's no one way that works. 
We've taken the approach that we always offer veggies.  If they don't finish them or at least eat a few bites, they can't have 2nds of the parts of the meal they do like.  So for instance if I'm having a meat with a few veggie sides and cornbread (which they love, but I make with flax and whole wheat) they can't have a 2nd helping of cornbread until some veggies are eaten.  If they absolutely hate it they can eat more of the other kind or whatever.  It seems to work well, and sometimes they take me up on the offer and sometimes they don't, they can choose.    It's not a big struggle and we've been consistant and so it's not new to them. 
I also try to offer the stuff they do like often, like peas and carrots. 

Funny story.  Last night DH made the mac 'n cheese from the pureed book.  It has squash in it.  In the past the kids loved it.  Mac n' cheese is Luke's fav.  Last night he served it with peas and green beans on teh side.  Luke wouldn't touch the pasta, and just filled up on peas.   ;D ;D 
I'm all about hiding good nutrients in anything and everything.  It's not just for them, it's for me too.  But it should never replace any other veggies you'd normally serve so they still learn to eat healthy.  I made a choc. cake with beet puree.  I told Dominic flat out what was in it while he was eating it.  He thought it was funny! 
3 boys:  D-8, L-5, and C-3 and one more little one due 11/11

Offline waffler

• Showing Appreciation 10
  • Mummy get Nemo off me!
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 12:59:51 pm »
My DD (22 mths) eats vegies only in the following :

Fried Rice
StirFry Noodles
Pasta sauces, like bolognaise, I add carrots + Celery

Y'know, personally, I don't like vegies when they've just been steamed. I like it to be interesting. Esp stir fry vegetables. That just does wonders for vegies.

I do however, keep adding vegies knowing she jst won't eat it. Still, as a PP said, it's our job to offer it to them right? You cant and shouldn't force them to eat it if they don't want to, that may jsut start a huge aversion to eating and in the future, some form of eating disorder! Thinking long term here....
Dad/Husband : Matt
Mum/Wife : (Ali)
Daugher : Mira (28th March 2006)
Daughter : Lara (31 July 2009)

Offline mari

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • Nathan and Alex. Pearl Harbor May 2008.
    • http://marileechildcare.vpweb.co.uk/
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 16:16:48 pm »
Offer Kayla broccoli (can't spell) or a cookie and she'll take the broccoli  ::)

She isn't a big fan of sweets, and actually seems to like savery foods more. She really likes salsa for example, and not mild either, she likes the medium stuff (to hot for me)

Once we were at a reseption were you could pick your own food and she went up to the table, looked at the desserts and walked away, saw the broccoli and exclaimed "TREES!!!" and grabbed it and started eating. LOL cutest thing I have ever seen.

That's Alex exactly!  although she might take some dessert too just to ensure that she didn't miss out!  ::)

Offline appletree

• Showing Appreciation 51
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 21:46:20 pm »
Bella doesn't like veggies either. She loved them (more than fruit actually) in babyfood but no in real life. I just tried avocado mashed up (like guacamole) and let her dip crackers into it - she actually licks all the avocado off and redips not eating the cracker.  I keep offering veggies to her but will only nibble, make a face and throw it on the floor  ::)  We actually do the V8 fruit juice with veggies in it too. She doesn't like regular juice (except grape) but loves this juice enough to drink a whole cup!  I bought the "Deceptively Delicious" cookbook too and think it's pretty cool but have yet to try it.
Wendee <3

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 21:55:24 pm »
Lately Colin is really into green beans  ???  but fine by me!

Ladies who have mentioned the Deceptively Delicious book, there's a sticky in this forum about it  ;D
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=105078.0
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 21:57:45 pm by Colin Mac's Mom »
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

andibig

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2008, 22:19:55 pm »
Oh just started reading this thread ;).
DD eats some veggies but absolutley loves fruit.She only just started eating potatoes a few months ago after refusing them point blank from weaning ::).Loves onions (esp raw!!),peas,sweetworn,carrots,cabbage (again raw).Honestly I think she'd eat more veggies if she could eat them raw-LOL
I think its like some people have said keep putting them on the plate and eventually they will eat them.

Offline Lissybits

• Showing Appreciation 60
  • My world!
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2008, 20:31:29 pm »
 DS would also choose broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, bananas and apples over most things!
 I read somewhere that you need to offer a food 15 times before they'll eat it. This was certainly true for us last summer.
Here in Greece you can only buy fruit and veg in season, so when DS was 7,8 and 9 mos(summer) he was eating peaches, nectarines and melon. In the winter he ate apples, pears and bananas. Last summer (when he was 18,19 and 20 mos) he refused the peaches, nectarines and melon. I carried on giving him apples etc until they were so tasteless that I decided enough was enough and continued every day to offer the fruits in season. It took about 10 days and then he started scoffing them as he did the winter fruit ::)
Obviously, it wasn't that he didn't like the taste but rather that the texture was different!

So persevere ladies with that fruit and veg!
 ;) :D
Lis :D

Offline maggie2

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2008, 12:37:02 pm »
Thanks again for all the replies!  I've cut down on snacks a bit and have been offering veggies cut up with dip just before dinner rather than give in and get him a snack.  He's actually tried one or two little nibbles, which is HUGE progress!  He didn't like it of course ::), but I honestly am happy with that progress - that's half the battle - getting him to actually give something a shot. 

He's also tried chicken on a couple of occasions, which I am also so excited about!  And soup, too!!!  For us, it seems to come down to really limiting snacks and trying to be active during that afternoon slump.  Then of course, just offering some new food items with meals.  I've actually flat-out stopped giving him bread or anything like that at dinner (unless its part of our meal as well) and just give him whatever we're having and he's been adjusting to that pretty well.  He'll try a few nibbles and then I'll give him some milk.  He makes up for anything he didn't eat with breakfast the next morning :)

Offline sophiems

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • My 3 monkeys!
    • Cloudy with a Chance of Books
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2008, 12:46:12 pm »
I've cut down on snacks a bit and have been offering veggies cut up with dip just before dinner rather than give in and get him a snack.  He's actually tried one or two little nibbles, which is HUGE progress!  He didn't like it of course ::), but I honestly am happy with that progress - that's half the battle - getting him to actually give something a shot. 

this works so well with my 2 older ones.  I find it helps the dinner prep craziness get easier too.  Luke stands on a little stool at the counter while I make dinner and he has a little veggie snack he can dip in something (ranch dressing or hummus or eggplant dip).  He does really well with baby carrot sticks and cucumbers.  Not so well with celery, he likes it he just can't chew it enough.  I know that he's done when he starts double dipping and just liking the dressing off.   ;D

The other night I sauteed napa cabbage with some fresh ginger.  The kids loved it.   :D  I really think the weirder it is and the newer that it is, my kids are more likely to eat it.   :D
3 boys:  D-8, L-5, and C-3 and one more little one due 11/11

Offline maggie2

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2008, 14:00:25 pm »
Quote (selected)
The other night I sauteed napa cabbage with some fresh ginger

yum - that sounds really good! ;D

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2008, 14:19:07 pm »
Oh my.....I'm doing the happy dance right now and being so grateful that my dd (14 mo) LOVES her veggies!!!!  Not sure why....she took FOREVER to try them, but once she did, she wants them every day.  Not raw, ever....maybe soon?  Cooked only, pretty soft, but that's still great! Carrots, peas, corn, broccoli, asparagus.....yay for me!!!!!

*don't be mad....I paid my dues with her, my little silent refluxer!!!! I deserve this reward!!!! ;) *