Author Topic: Amount of milk and solids for 9 month old  (Read 1574 times)

Offline AmyLoo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Amount of milk and solids for 9 month old
« on: February 14, 2008, 20:40:50 pm »
Hi-
My daughter is 9 months and I am wondering what her milk and solid intake should look like now.  I've been reading that she now isn't depending on formula for her main nutrition, and am curious as to what transitions I need to make.  Should I be switching to solids before formula? Should I be doing more balanced meals now?  Introducing more foods? The BW book is a bit vague on the solid feeds. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Here's a sample schedule:

7:00  Wake and 7oz.
8:30  Breakfast- Solids 6oz. (fruit, cereal, or yogurt)

10-11 NAP sometimes snack of ricecake or biscuit

12:00 Lunch 6oz. (veggies, cheese, sometimes bits of meat)

1:30-2:30 NAP

3:00  7-8 oz.

4:30-5:15 Catnap

5:30 Dinner 6-8 oz (meat entree with veggies)

7:00 8oz before bed

Offline Freya'sMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 71
  • 3 gorgeous girls!
Re: Amount of milk and solids for 9 month old
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 21:38:35 pm »
Just a quick reply for now...

...milk remains the primary source of nutrition until 12 months, a minimum of 20oz is recommended, so there is no rush to drop any more milk feeds (you are already at 3, some los still have 4 until past 12 months)...

...introducing solid foods is all about los experiencing the kind of foods that you will be expecting them to eat when they are properly eating with you as a family, so if you want to increase your lo's range of foods, you can always try offering some finger foods whilst she sits at the table with you, a sample of whatever you are having (without any added salt, sugar, sauce etc)...

...your schedule looks fine otherwise, my only query would be whether you are offering any sort of liquid at morning snack time, where you have dropped the bottle, because 7am thru to 3pm would be a long time to go without any sort of drink :-\

Can answer more fully tomorrow, and I'm sure other s will have ideas too :)

Ax
Alison x

Offline AmyLoo

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Amount of milk and solids for 9 month old
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 02:20:39 am »
Thanks for the reply!  Yes, I do give her water with every solids meal.  I actually dropped the 11 bottle cause she wasn't drinking it, yet she would gladly accept the solids at 12.  I just upped the amount of solids at noon to compensate for the bottle.