Author Topic: prawns for toddlers  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Mama2boys

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 247
prawns for toddlers
« on: February 21, 2008, 15:06:07 pm »
Hi there

Anyone know when I can introduce my little one to prawns and other fish?

thanks,
Mukta
9 and 6, oh boy!

lilmonkey

Re: prawns for toddlers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 15:28:24 pm »
I know I know.  (Just finished reading up on it.  :))  You can introduced fish at around 8/9 mos and for shellfish to wait till after 1yo.  If there is a history of allergy in the family then wait till 2.  HTH

Oh, I'm in Canada and I know that guidelines tend to differ between countries.  But I think that if there is no known allergy in the family then you can pretty much introduce anything other than the big no nos like honey, peanuts, egg whites, etc.

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 15:31:29 pm »
We did prawns after a year. He likes them and calamari/squid/octopus too. Other than the allergy risk with any of the shellfish group, just to mind that they fresh or fresh from frozen and are prepared correctly so no risk of food poisoning.

A x 

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 16:09:31 pm »
excellent ladies. I am dying to introduce the LO to prawns, luckily no known allergies on either side of the family..I am hoping he will love it as he is now on the verge of refusing any assistance with eating...and cant handle spoon or fork except to stab the highchair..so anything he can pick up himself and eat is crucial.

Thanks
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 16:51:27 pm »
Mukta, have you tired using a fondue fork, my DS loved to stab his food with this when he was little.

A x

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 16:53:25 pm »
so thats a skinny 2 pronged fork..right...he just prefers stabbing the table..if by freak chance his fork catches food he uses his hand to take it off and put it in his mouth! wierd or what.
9 and 6, oh boy!

lilmonkey

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 17:01:47 pm »
so thats a skinny 2 pronged fork..right...he just prefers stabbing the table..if by freak chance his fork catches food he uses his hand to take it off and put it in his mouth! wierd or what.

lol  dd did that for a while.  Drove my mom crazy.  She did out grew it though. 

Offline Mama2boys

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 17:05:47 pm »
here's to the dream that one day my DS will be feeding himself and not the entire room and will sleep through the night.

btw the latest in terms of food is that DS will let me feed him only if he can put something in my mouth as well, same with brushing of teeth..but this ritual is only restricted to mommy not dad and not the nanny...so i have recently acquired the taste for squished and beaten up stabbed food :D

I am assuming this means he loves me the most!!!
9 and 6, oh boy!

lilmonkey

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 18:02:35 pm »
That and only mommy can change a dirty diaper!   ::)