Author Topic: can handle milk-based formula, but not cow's milk  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Alison_3

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
can handle milk-based formula, but not cow's milk
« on: February 25, 2008, 16:53:20 pm »
My 14 month old was on Alimentum until he was 10 months old and then we switched to a milk based formula and he seemed to handle it fine.  Two days ago I started adding an ounce or two of cow's milk to his formula to try and make the transition.  The past two days he has been horrible (worse than usual I should say!   ;)). 

He has a horrible cough.  It's so bad that I started his nebulizer treatments today.  He obviously isn't sleeping much.  He's all congested.  It's just so hard to figure out because all of his symptoms could be reflux related as his reflux is flaring up now too.  He also suffers from chronic sinus infections. 

So is it possible that he just can't handle real milk even though he's does okay on a milk based formula? 

TIA. 

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: can handle milk-based formula, but not cow's milk
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 19:31:10 pm »
I have heard of children that can't handle cow's milk but are ok with the milk based formula. You could go back to formula for a while and see if the symptoms clear. If so you could try introducing it again and if the same thing happens you will know for sure.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline jruiz

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: can handle milk-based formula, but not cow's milk
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 20:54:50 pm »
I agree with Stacy in that all baby formulas are broken down way more then regular milk that we as adults may drink, the whey proteins and all the other proteins in cows milk aren't broken down the way they are in milk based formulas, and it may just be that he can't handle the larger qtys.  I'd call your pediatrician on that.