Author Topic: 18 Month old son with severe food allergies  (Read 1411 times)

Offline jruiz

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
18 Month old son with severe food allergies
« on: February 25, 2008, 20:07:22 pm »
Hi there.   ???  My son is 18 months old and has severe food allergies to the following including but not limited to: Wheat, Whey, all cows milk/dairy, Soy, Rice, Peanuts, treenuts, & Egg. :'(

Obviously he is VERY LIMITED in his food intake.  He is still on the Allimentum formula (very expensive).  My biggest concern right now is that he does not want to eat table foods.  We've been trying and he keeps pushing them away or he won't even open his mouth.  Being limited on what we can feed him isn't easy since most of your soft table foods are things he cannot even have!

Does anyone else have this issue or struggle with a small toddler with all the allergies?

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: 18 Month old son with severe food allergies
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 19:29:15 pm »
My son has multiple food allergies which has always made it hard to offer a wide range of food. My son has developed a severe food aversion so we are struggling even more now. Before this developed he would only eat pureed food and raisins. We used to make soups a lot as this gave lots of good nutrion and because we blitzed it it was accepted by my son. I also made fruit purees although limited as he reacts to lots of fruit.

What kind of foods will your son eat? That will help in coming up with ideas for you to try. Please could you also mention any other allergies so that we know what is safe for your son to eat.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline jruiz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 16:24:59 pm »
The other allergies are like dust, cat dander, ect.  Sorry Didn't mean to suggest they were food allergies.  The ones listed are it.  THere's a lot though!  The biggest thing is I don't want to have to be feeding him liquids or purred foods he needs to be chewing and swallowing :( He's got a mouth full of teeth! :o

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 06:20:55 am »
I know exactly how you feel regarding feeding liquids/purees I was fustrated with this aswell as my son also had a full set of teeth, unfortunately he would gag if giving foods that were not smooth. I would give anything for my son to start eating pureed foods again though at this moment in time. I have a friend in Australia who has a little boy who has multiple food allergies who also willnot accept lumpy food or most finger foods.

You could start by doing soups with no lumps and the gradually add litlle lunps and then just start increasing the size of lumps. For instance first of all you could add vegetables the size of rice grains that was not blitzed into the soup and then move onto vegetables cut to the size of peas etc. Have you tried giving raw carrots and apple slices etc for finger foods a lot of toddlers like these kind of things.

I will try and think of some more ideas.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline jruiz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 20:52:24 pm »
Thanks Kelly.....man this site has been real slow moving for me I can hardly get in it at times. 

I've tried really tiny peices of cut up veggies in soup, he will eat little cut up carrots in soup the size of a pea.  He does ok with those, its like he has just a small array of things he'll chew and he won't eat a lot of it.  He eats cheerios with no issue, but has a wheat allergy however the cheerios do not affect him.  It is so strange.

As far as giving him raw veggies, I am afraid if they are crispy he will choke.  I'd rather stick with the soft stuff.  I've tried diced pears and he won't take them, he spits em out. :P :-[