Author Topic: Drank milk from someone else's sippy  (Read 4109 times)

Offline appletree

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 51
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:10:07 am »
Bella got someone else's sippy at school & drank regular milk instead of her rice milk.  :-\  I gave her some tummy drops as they called and told me right away what happened. They're not sure how much she drank. So far, so good. It's been about 7 hrs. since it happened. She fell asleep for bedtime ok not too fussy. What if it doesn't effect her at all? Does this mean maybe we could try yogurt, milk, etc.?  I know the soy irritated her a few months back when I retried it but haven't touched regular dairy since all the problems about 6 months ago.
Wendee <3

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Drank milk from someone else's sippy
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 05:22:48 am »
First, Be glad they called you and told you.  Someone told me once at a pre-school or daycare, the kid got someone else's milk and seemed fine, so they just kept giving her milk day after day, never told the parents.

Anyhow I would give it until tom. to see how she is.  Also it was just 1 sip, so may not really affect her to see a big change.

I don't know your history, but is she on rice milk because of an allergy or intolerance?  How long has she been on rice milk and are you also not giving her any dairy at all, even hidden???

My first son was on rice milk and no dairy at all (even hidden) from 13/14 months to 18 months old. 

After his body had time to heal and I guess he grew out of his intolerance he was fine with any type of milk.

He was on in for a major intolerance, not an actual allergy though.

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline appletree

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 05:46:12 am »
They aren't sure how much she actually drank.  Not sure if it was/is intolerance or an allergy -she'd have SEVERE stomach pains at night where she'd scream for hours, arching her back, real tears, etc. It was really bad with cheese.  I'll see how it goes and get back to you. Just thought it was weird that it hasn't effected her yet but if it was only a sip or 2 then maybe it wasn't enough, KWIM?
Wendee <3

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:01:40 pm »
Please keep us posted.  Her system may have had time to heal and can handle milk now OR her system may be healed and that was not enough to do any damage and a lot of milk will.

I would deft. start wit yogurt and cheese first though, not straight to milk.

Good Luck
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 19:37:27 pm »
If you decide on a dairy trial I would take it very slowly. If you decide to go for it I wish you lots of luck.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline appletree

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 23:02:45 pm »
Ha, Kelly, you always make me have 2nd thoughts.  ;)
Wendee <3

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 13:07:56 pm »
If you take it slowly though you should be ok. It is a difficult decision to make. I am not sure what I would do in your position. I know James is still allergic to dairy as he reacts by just coming into contact with it so no point in even trialing it here.

Kelly

Offline appletree

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 02:14:06 am »
I decided to just try yogurt & see what happened. So far, nothing. She just loved eating it again. I'll try the yogurt again tomorrow & see if there's any changes. Although, it's still early tonite and the tummy aches could happen in the mid of night  - we'll see.
Wendee <3

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 02:41:59 am »
Good Luck.  You could also try Lactaid Whole Milk first before going to straight Whole Milk.  We did for a while with my ds1.  Also there is one that has more calcium in it than regular milk. 
Wendy -

Offline appletree

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 02:50:33 am »
Thanks, Wendy!  ;D
Wendee <3

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 07:11:05 am »
I am glad everything is going well so far. I will keep my fingers crossed that it continues that way. Yogurt was a good choice for starting with. If things continue to go ok with the yogurt you could try aa little hard cheese next and see how that goes. I really hope that Bella can tolerate dairy now.

Kelly

Offline appletree

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 01:13:49 am »
We did yogurt again today with no problems so far. Fingers crossed.
Wendee <3

Offline appletree

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 03:53:26 am »
 :P :P :P :P BAD,BAD,BAD :-X :-X :-X (Kelly, you are so wise!)

So, there were no problems til Friday night and YIKES!!!!!!!! screaming tummy aches all night and all Saturday, too.  Weird how that happens - like it needs to build up in her system to cause a problem.  ::) Ok, so now I feel like a bad mom. I won't try soy (ever again) and no dairy for a very very long time. Do you think she'll ever grow into it?
Wendee <3

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 13:01:28 pm »
Sorry Bella had a bad reaction - but yes, it's quite common for it to take a bit of time to build up in the system. She may grow into it but I personally wouldn't even try again until she's at least 2. And when you do try I'd go really slowly - like a teaspoon of yogurt to start, then building up from there very slowly (two teaspoons the second day, etc). Also I can't remember - is she on probiotics? A good dairy free probiotic may help her digestive system mature.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline appletree

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 19:38:41 pm »
She is not on probiotics but maybe I need to go get her some? You think that may help?
Wendee <3

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 19:42:38 pm »
how ol dis your LO?
MY DS was really lactose intollerant until he was 18 mos, we tried several times to introduced dairy

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 20:12:27 pm »
I'm a HUGE fan of probiotics. They could help matters (over time) and certainly couldn't hurt but you need to be sure you find a really good brand and one that is dairy and soy free. You want to get one that is for children and in powdered form - should come in the refrigerated section of your local health store, Whole Foods, etc and you keep it refrigerated at home. Some good dairy/soy free brands are Udo's Choice for Infants and Nature's Way Primadophilus for Children but there are others as well.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline appletree

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 20:23:35 pm »
Bella is 18 mos. old. Will try this week to get some probiotics.
Wendee <3

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 21:59:01 pm »
If you can't get to a store that has a good one we can recommend some for you to get online...But even still I'd hold off on trying dairy again until she's at least 2.

Offline appletree

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 03:28:04 am »
Right now, I think she's not getting any dairy til she's 18 yo - LOL.  I'm going to try our health food store here and if I can't find anything I'll let ya know - thank you so much for being so helpful!!!
Wendee <3

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 12:46:57 pm »
You're quite welcome - keep us posted!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2008, 18:58:36 pm »
I am so sorry the dairy trial did not work out. I definately agree with Karen about waiting until at least 2 now. I also think probiotics would be a good thing to try. We give them to James and I definately feel itt has helped him with his eczema and helped improve his bowel movements aswell. I certainly feel they are worth a try as like Karen mentioned they will do no harm. I am with you about not trying dairy until the age of 18 years old ;D.

Kelly

Offline appletree

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2008, 20:13:01 pm »
I'm kinda excited to try it now - Bella's excema is horrible so maybe that'd help. I HATE putting the steroid cream on her but it is so bad (the Dr. said her back feels leathery).
Wendee <3

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2008, 20:27:23 pm »
Wendee - has she ever been allergy tested? In addition to dairy/soy there could be other culprits? Is she totally dairy free - even hidden dairy?

Offline appletree

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 20:35:00 pm »
Nope she hasn't had any testing done yet. Not sure about the hidden dairy, I haven't really been watching for that but other than the excema there aren't too many other symptoms that she shows unless she has an actual product.

If we can keep her, then we can get allergy testing done but they won't do it here until she's 2 yo. anyhow.  :-\
Wendee <3

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2008, 20:36:56 pm »
You may want to eliminate all trace/hidden dairy (and soy) as well - really check labels - in addition to milk or soy you'd be looking for casein and whey. With new labeling laws anything that does have it should say in bold "contains milk and/or soy ingredients". If/when you can I'd definitely recommend doing the skin and blood allergy tests ASAP.

Offline appletree

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 20:40:18 pm »
Thank you for all the info.  ;D
Wendee <3

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 21:37:21 pm »
I agree with Karen about the allergy testing and hidden dairy/soy. If you get to keep Bella (and I hope you do) then the allergy testing is obviously something you can pursue. Please don't get your hopes up expecting the probiotics to stop Bella's eczema from flaring as it is not a miracle cure but it can help it did with James.

Kelly

Offline appletree

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 03:09:16 am »
I most definitely want to keep her. So, I'll be trying to pursue allergy testing as soon as she turns 2 yo. Glad you told me that about the probiotics - I was really thinking it was a miracle thing (not kidding).
Wendee <3

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 03:11:19 am »
Can you line up an appointment for her now so that it will happen as soon as she turns two? There are often long lead times to get into good allergists...

Nope, not a miracle cure but can help improve things and certainly can't hurt. Just be sure to get one that is dairy and soy free!

Offline appletree

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2008, 03:13:15 am »
LOL - I'll be very careful about that - thanks!  ;D
Wendee <3

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2008, 03:25:38 am »
Just wanted to add, I am a big firm believer of probiotics.  I know that is what saved my 2 years old gut and helped healed it when he was having all his stomach problems.

A dairy/soy free probiotic and a dairy/soy free diet.

LOVE THEM.... 
Wendy -

Offline appletree

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 03:29:12 am »
I'll try talking to the pediatrician on Thurs. (he doesn't work on Wed.) and see if he can get us a referral to the allergist. In the meantime, dh gets back late tomorrow night so maybe Thurs. I can find some Probiotics.  ;D Do they work for adults, too?
Wendee <3

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 03:31:51 am »
Yes they do.  I keep a stock in my refg.  I should actually take them everyday, but always forget :-0 

I am going to take one now...
Wendy -

Offline appletree

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 03:38:47 am »
LOL, Wendy!  ;D  Do you think they really help?
Wendee <3

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 03:41:57 am »
To be honest, I have never taken them for a long time to really know for sure, BUT I DO know they work for kids. 

Zach took them for 6 months or so.  I now give them to him if he takes and antibiotic or has been sick. 
Wendy -

Offline appletree

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 03:51:22 am »
I think I have to research them a little more so I know more about them.
Wendee <3

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2008, 19:20:52 pm »
That is always a good thing to do. Before I started James on them I did lots of research. I actually started James on them originally as he had been on lots of antibiotics so felt it would be a good thing. I actually gave them everyday for 6 months and now just a couple of times a week.

Kelly

Offline appletree

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2008, 14:20:08 pm »
Been so busy haven't had a chance to get to our 'health food' store.  :-\ We're leaving for a mini-vacation in a couple of days so I probably won't do anything til I get back.
Wendee <3