Author Topic: Can you be allergic to garlic - Adult? Anyone allergic  (Read 1190 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Can you be allergic to garlic - Adult? Anyone allergic
« on: February 27, 2008, 21:37:44 pm »
I did not want to post this in the allergy board because it is about myself, not my kid.  So I hope I put it in the right spot.

Is anyone allergic to garlic?  I have never heard of this, but I am telling you every time I eat it, I get really bad burpy gas, reflux, the top of my stomach aches and eventually I have IBS (IYKWIM).

Can you actually be allergic to garlic?  Maybe this is the hidden ingredient that is causing all my IBS symptoms.

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Can you be allergic to garlic - Adult? Anyone allergic
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 22:31:44 pm »
Not me, but my SIL's DH is!  Same exact symptoms.  Their daughter is also affected by it.  He avoids everything with any trace of garlic... and if he does eat it, he makes sure to eat yogurt first, that helps ease the symptoms a bit.

HTH

And I will move this to allergies ;)

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:09:47 am »
Thanks, I was not sure if I should put it under allergies. 

You know it is funny you say that about yogurt.  If I do eat something with garlic and now I am thinking even trace amounts, then I have to drink milk afterwards.

That stinks.. I love garlic
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 06:32:18 am »
I also know people who are allergic to garlic, some with same symptoms and others who get rashes etc.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker