Author Topic: A quick question.  (Read 823 times)

Offline jaedagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My munchkin at 2 months old.
A quick question.
« on: February 29, 2008, 05:39:53 am »
Hi ladies, I have a quick question to ask.. My son Oliver (10.5 months old) has a milk protein allergy and is currently on soy formula. I'm wonder what to do when he's a year old, since other people tend to start introducing whole cows milk, what should I offer when the time comes?! Formula? Soy/Rice milk?! Stupid question, but does lactose free milk still have milk proteins in it because he couldn't handle the lactose free formulas?

Also, a few weeks ago I tried to introduce a little bit of yogurt to see if he could handle the milk proteins -- didn't work because he was pretty fussy for a couple days afterwards (and well he didn't like the taste of yogurt). When should I try again since I was told they do grow out of it anywhere from 9-24 months? Should I try every couple months?

Thanks for the help!  :D
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 05:42:45 am by jaedagal »

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: A quick question.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 07:18:35 am »
First of all you don't have to change from soy formula at 12 months but some people do. Rice milk is a good option as long as your lo is getting a well balanced diet to meet the nutrtional needs of a 12 month old. The same with soy milk really. Lactose free milk does still contain milk protein it just does not contain lactose. If your lo reacts to yogurt at the moment I would wait until he is at least 12 months before trying again but that is just my personal opinion.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline jaedagal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My munchkin at 2 months old.
Re: A quick question.
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 16:12:36 pm »
Okay, good to know! Thanks! I'll just keep up the soy formula and wait a bit on the yogurt next time I try.