Author Topic: Does this sound like milk intolerance  (Read 945 times)

Offline Sam'smum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Does this sound like milk intolerance
« on: March 03, 2008, 19:55:49 pm »
Im posting this for my niece regarding her baby who is 8 weeks old. My dd had reflux when she was tiny but is now on a hypo allergenic formula which has sorted it out.  Because of that I had read quite a lot on reflux/milk intolerances.  My niece's baby started off by vomitting lots, wouldn't settle when lay flat, fussing when having a feed, not settled after a feed, terrible rash on her face and shoulders, crying during feeding, also makes snuffley noises and holds her breath in her sleep.  All classic reflux symptoms.  She took her to A&E regarding her breathing a few weeks ago and they diagnosed reflux and gave her Gaviscon  >:( As is the norm for Gaviscon it worked for a while then she was bad again. Her partner has a milk intolerance.  Anyway eventually she took her back to GP because her rash was really bad. He said he thought it was an intolerance and gave her soya formula. SHe improved a lot on the soya formula and her rash cleared up.  OUr Health Visitor told us that they dont recommend soya for babies now because if its a milk intolerance they can develop an intolerance to soya too.  Her GP wouldn't give her hypo allergenic formula but referred her to hospital. She has seen doctor at hospital today but they are still saying they are not sure its a milk intolerance because she is gaining weight.   They have given her rantidine for the reflux and gaviscon again.   They are going to see her again in July.  What do you think about this?  Surely all the other symptoms and the fact that her partner has an intolerance and that the rash improved initially on soya would suggest an intolerance.  Has anyone else been fobbed off because their baby is gaining weight?  Sorry for the long rambling post. 

em_here

Re: Does this sound like milk intolerance
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 22:26:28 pm »
oh hugs hugs hugs, not got much time right now, but yes, I have been fobbed off as dd was gaining weight, but turned out it was reflux and milk allergy.   We took Abbi a and e 6 times, before they would accept it, on a hypo allergenic formula she was a diff baby.  Tell your sis to persist, mummy knows best xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:54:11 pm »
Yup - sounds just like my DD when she was born and yes, they do often brush the matter aside if the babe is gaining weight (and my DD used to be a comfort eating chunker). If she's doing fine on the soya formula she may want to stick to it. It's true that up to 50% of babies with a milk allergy/intolerance will have one to soy too but I also know a fair number of LOs who did well on soy formula. But there are hypo allergenic formulas available without a prescription too if she wants to go that route.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 19:05:08 pm »
I completely agree with previous posts. Too many people get fobbed off because their baby is gaining weight. It seems crazy when the other symptoms are so obvious in a lot of cases. Please tell your niece to not back down. It is possible that her lo will continue to do well on soy formula as some babies do. My son is allergic to soy aswell as dairy but I know 2 other childrenn who have done really well on soy formula.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker