Author Topic: 18 months and transitioning to table food  (Read 939 times)

Offline Thomaspplusone

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
18 months and transitioning to table food
« on: March 05, 2008, 04:52:23 am »
After reading a lot of the posts and talking to some other Moms, I feel like I've waited too long. We kept waiting for Thomas to show interest in our food and in the meantime have been shoveling baby food into him like there is no tomorrow. Periodically we would get him to try some table food. He has actually been eating chicken and hamburger (plus the usual crackers/cookies) for several months. He has just never really wanted to try anything else (fruit or veggies.) Just this morning I felt like celebrating when he actually ate a waffle and a few small pieces of apple.

When he has had enough to eat during the day, he does sleep through he night. Unfortunately he got sick last week and it really affected his eating habits. He has been waking up twice a night for a bottle since he got sick. He's been better for several days now but I just can't seem to get him to eat enough. I'd like to get him to just eat table food but he won't make the transition.

For lunch today I offered him some tuna salad (what Mommy was eating and that he even ate a few bites of a couple of days ago), apple pieces and halved blueberries but he didn't want any of it. I then offered him some of his usual baby food which he refused. Most of the time we can get him to eat the baby food if we distract him with some interesting toy. But, I'm tired of this. He should be able to eat if he is hungry without the dance and show. Just now I had to give him a bottle so he could nap because he was starting to cry from hunger. I just can't keep this up. Help!

Offline Thomaspplusone

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 18 months and transitioning to table food
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 06:37:34 am »
Right now I only give him bottles if he wakes up in the middle of the night. This means there are sometimes days at a time he doesn't get one. What you said does strike a cord though. When he eats it's almost as though it's because my husband and I force it on him.

My husband and I have never let Thomas cry him self to sleep. I am proud to say that Thomas goes to sleep very well all on his own. What should I do if he wakes up because he is expecting a bottle? I'm fine listening to him talk or even call out but if he starts to cry (and actually get upset) because he wants a bottle, I'm just not certain the best approach. Since he is very good at calming himself, if I go in there to try to calm him he will just struggle to get out of my arms and run around. I guess I've just gotten used to giving him the bottle. I didn't think it was that big a deal since he has slept throught the night without one quite often (although never regularly.)

Offline Thomaspplusone

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 18 months and transitioning to table food
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 06:45:31 am »
I forgot to mention that the bottles contain formula. I tried to transition to water and also to milk but he didn't want either. Of course it's been a while since I tried that. Right now I am in my first trimester and am just holding on between feeling nauseous and exhausted. Thomas has always been very adaptable. If I have to get him off of bottles I'd rather do cold turkey.