Author Topic: My 8month old is waking more than ever....help!  (Read 2460 times)

Offline jonathans mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My 8month old is waking more than ever....help!
« on: March 08, 2008, 18:35:59 pm »
My LO is 8 months old and I am really lost. I posted on the NW support forum which is wonderful, but I wanted to see if I could get any suggestions. I am going to post our routine after telling a little about him. He is a very spirited boy and is a very active baby. He is crawling all over and pulls himself up on absolutely anything he can. WHile this is recent I dont know if it is that he has hit these milestones or what.He also has no teeth yet. Ever since he was 4mos his sleeping has gotten progressively worse. I am reaching out is desparation as I have become so sleep deprived I have become almost a shell of my former self. Our routine is as follows:
7am: wake and BF
8am:solids( usually ceral and fruit)
8:30-9:30: activity/play time ( crawls around and plays with mommy and toys)
9:45-10:30-11: nap
11am: up BF
12pm:solids usually veg and some fruit
12:30-2pm:activity
2:00-3:30:nap
3:30: up and BF
4:00: solids usually cereal
4:30:A
6:00:BF
6:30-7:00:A
7:00: solids
7:30: bath
8:00:winddown
8:30-9pm:S

Now he was going to sleep at about 9-9:30about a week ago but I am trying to get him in to bed earlier, as I know this is too late. He takes a while to fall asleep but we are progressing towards an earlier bed time. The last week has been horrendous. He is sleeping until about 12am and then he starts waking like every hour or so. He doesnt always want to eat but I end up having to settle him. I am opposed to letting him cry it out as I think thats cruel, but I am at the end of my rope and do not know what else to do.I have an relative suggesting cammomile tea has anyone heard of that? I dunno if it is safe or what but I just want him to settle and dont know how to help him.
Thanks for any suggestions :'(

Offline emmas

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
Re: My 8month old is waking more than ever....help!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 18:42:56 pm »
Have you tried putting him to bed at 7?  I would say he is waking as he is really overtired - he really shouldn't be going much more than about 3/3.5 hours between sleeps.  I would start bath/bed routine from 6pm.

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 19:06:23 pm »
If he only does a 45 min nap in the am and is awake by 10.30 I would suggest a 1.30 nap time. Also agree bed time is too late, I know you are trying to change it but would be going for 7.30 bed time at the very latest if not earlier.
You can get baby camomile tea but dont honestly think it will make a difference.

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 19:16:50 pm »
Definitely agree with the pp's.  He should be in bed by 7 at the latest.  So after his nap it could go like this:
3.30 wake & bf.
5 pm solids
6 pm bath, bf & into bed for 7 pm
You could do the solids a bit earlier than 5 if you find he's not hungry enough to take a good bf before bed.  hth

Offline jonathans mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 19:34:35 pm »
I will try that tonight thanks. He is just napping now but I will try to folllow what you posted to see if it helps. I really appreciate the advice. I am a first time mommy and I am really trying to do right by the little angel!!

Offline Sarah - Enfys' Mum

• Showing Appreciation 76
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 19:36:56 pm »
good luck.  It will take 3-5 days for him to adjust to a change in his routine.

Offline jonathans mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 16:07:49 pm »
OK.....last night he went to sleep by 7:45 ( a little later than hoped but alot earlier than usual). He fussed only 4 times last light as opposed to 6-8 times. I am pleased with the first night and will continue to press on and hope it continues to get better.......Thanks a million......I will update tomorrow to see how tonight goes, with the time change this am its a little off but we will all survive...

Offline emmas

• Showing Appreciation 45
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 17:10:49 pm »
Well done - hope tonight goes well for you.

Offline jonathans mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 00:44:26 am »
My goodness, last night was horrible. He went down at 7:30, woke at 8:20, 9:30 and then from 10pm-12am he screamed. He woke at 1:30am, 3:30am, 5Am, and finally up for good at 6:30 am.It was aweful nothing seemed to work I dont know if maybe it is teething or what but I felt so bad that I couldnt get him to settle. He went down at 8pm tonight and so far so goo but I cross my fingers and pray that tonight will be better. I am becomming afraid of the nights as they seem so hopeless.

Offline Maryja

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 03:07:26 am »
Hi. I too have an 8-month old son who is waking all night. I posted some questions under "PU/PD" titled "Impossible with my son?" You are not alone in the miserable state of sleep deprivation!!!! I'm sure the culprit on our case is that our LO has learned that he needs to nurse in order to fall back asleep after every/most 40-min sleep cycle. We had been "attachment parents" until we learned the practical implications, for example waking all night long. We have our work cut out for us, 90% of the time I doubt if any technique will change this deeply ingrained habit of his, but b/c I could never let him "cry it out" & don't know of any other alternative, I'm going to continue working with Baby Whisperer techniques for at least another week (I have to have some timeline in mind or else it feels like I will never ever again sleep more than an hour at a time), as best as I can (it has been one week now). Good luck. Keep us posted. I'll check in & see how you're doing.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 04:53:08 am by Maryja »

Offline monsi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 03:22:59 am »
Hi there,
Just wanted to let you know that my 8 month old dd is also waking more than ever! She has STTN 3 times so I know that she can do it but just have no idea what is going on at the moment. I am hoping it is developmental and will stop soon! So, you are not alone  ;)

maryja - have you read the no cry sleep solution? Works perfectly with BW ideas and will definitely help to change the night feeding habits without having to let your lo cry.

Offline Bryony

• Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 19:06:21 pm »
Jonathan's mum - it can take 3-5 days for a change in routine to take effect - so definitely keep going with the early bedtime!  Don't be tempted to leave him to cry - you are right that this is not the thing to do.  Does he respond to sh/pat or some other way of helping him get back to sleep rather than feeding?  Can he get to sleep on his own for naps and bedtime?

Bryony

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

Offline jonathans mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 11:23:00 am »
Bryony,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Last night was a disaster again but I know why.......we ended up putting him to bed closer to 8pm and he fell asleep around 8:30 and hour later than the last couple days. It was 6:30 and he started showing signs of tiredness, unfortunately I was not able to put him down at that time.I know he was OT and he fussed subsequently all night. Tonight will be better and I will make sure it is earlier for sure. As for the questions, occ he responds well to PU/PD but as of late he is more apt tp fall back asleep if I just patt his back or put my hand on him. I have tried to eliminate the BF to sleep as I know this is no good. I BF him a bit before bed as this comforts as well as tops him up. Then I burp him and read him a story or something to that effect. He usually falls asleep on my lap though.

Offline Bryony

• Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 19:02:22 pm »
Oh we all have the occasional day like that!! Hopefully after a few early nights he will get back on track.

does he fall asleep on your lap for naps as well?  You probably want to avoid this, in case he needs to be on our lap to go to sleep - if he wakes in the night he might not be able to get himself back to sleep

Hope things get better for you soon!

Bryony

You only really know what love is when you become a parent

Offline jonathans mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 19:29:44 pm »
yeah he does most of the time. I have to really get tough with just putting him down in his crib when it is time for naps when he is tired. It has been hard lately though, his crib is in our room for now and my husband has been on nights so I cant put him in the room when he is sleeping......this sucks. At the beginning of next month we are moving and he will have his own room...I am sure this will help lots. I thank you for your honesty and support. I am very thankful!!