Author Topic: Food allergy or drool rash?  (Read 14730 times)

Offline D-bot

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 08, 2008, 21:49:30 pm »
My DS is 6 months old and we recently started him on solids. Yesterday, we introduced zucchini for the first time and he seemed to have developed some rash around his mouth and chin. I'm not sure if this is from the zucchini or from his drool because he has a bit of a rash on his chin these days from drooling but not around his mouth which I just noticed after we introduced zucchini. I stopped feeding him zucchini for now. I only gave it to him for a day. He still has the rash around his mouth and chin today but it looks better although dry. I think I will try the zucchini again a few days later when the rash goes away to see if he has the same reaction. Anybody has any advice or experience with this?

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: Food allergy or drool rash?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 23:42:21 pm »
Most likly it is due to drooling. DD got that all the time. When you try the food again you should know for sure. Make sure you keep the mouth and chin area dry and when the rahs is gone then try again. If the rash reapears then it may be an allergy
Kimberly

Offline D-bot

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 14:44:12 pm »
Thanks for the advice Kimberly!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 03:34:37 am »
I am in the same boat.  We have tried Rice cereal, pears, banana's, etc. and he kept this bright red rash all over his face.  It was really dry, bright red and had little red bumps. 

I just thought it was from teething and kept on with this solids.  He got his 2 teeth, so is not teething as bad and still had the rash really bad.

I stopped all solids and within a day his face was so clear.  Then I tried just pears, by that night his face was bright red, bumpy and dry.  Stopped again, went away.

Tried Rice cereal only and same thing :-0

So.... that was with jarred foods.  I am now making all my own foods.  Today has been the first day. I did pears and banana's and no rash.  If he does get a rash though, I will know it is an allergy.

Just be sure to wipe his face with baby soap and water after each feeding also. 

Good Luck, Keep us posted
Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline D-bot

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 14:31:19 pm »
The other day, I gave him carrots and rice cereal for lunch and rice cereal and pears for dinner. I noticed the rash around his mouth after dinner so I don't know if it was the pears or the rice cereal. I will try a different fruit today and see if I get the same reaction. If it's not the pears, it may be the cereal in which case, I will try a different cereal like oats maybe. I'm thinking I may have missed it when I first introduced the rice cereal and the pears individually since he was getting a little bit of a rash from the drool during that time although not as red and dry as it is with the food. So, I will try elimination and see how it goes.  :(

Offline benners318

• Mother of A.W.E.
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 17:55:50 pm »
I see your LO's are suffering from possibly allergies.  It seems to me that is what they are.  I would really recommend to figure this out to introduce only one food at a time.  And to introduce only that food for 3 days then move onto a new food for another 3 days, etc, etc.  This is what I had learned with my first.  Sometimes an allergy can take a day or two to show up and if you introduce a new food the next day you won't know if it's the new one or the new one you tried yesterday.

Especially seeing how long your babies are...I highly recommend this.  Any questions?

Offline benners318

• Mother of A.W.E.
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 17:57:32 pm »
I meant to say at the end there..."especialy seeing how YOUNG your babies are...I highly recommend this.  Introducing so many different kinds of food at one time can be hard on their tummies to digest especially since all they had the first 6 months has been breastmilk/formula.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 19:32:26 pm »
It can sometimes be worth introducing 1 food per week. This is what I had to do with my son who has multiple food allergies.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 02:57:13 am »
I do agree one food at a time.

Maybe try foods with less acidicy too, sometimes foods that are high in acidic value (like a lot of fruits) can leave a rash because of the acid, not the allergy.

In fact it sounds more like a sensitivity then an allergy, since there are no other simptoms. With an allergy you would also have tummy problems, diareah or vomiting at times as well.

Better to stick with cereals first, then veggies, then fruits.

If the have a reaction from the jarred they should have the same reaction to the homemade, the only difference with stage one foods and homemade, is the amount of water.

Keep the face clean and dry and don't use whipes, as they can also cause rash, mild soap and water, or even plain water are best.
Kimberly

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 19:14:12 pm »
I would stick with plain water as even mild soapss can cause rashes.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 03:33:00 am »
Not true.  Stage 1 fruits contain Absorbic Acid (Vit. C) as the third ingredient:  Pears, Water, Absorbic acid.  I just double checked and have Gerber Stage 1. 

I have Stage 2 Beechnut and Earths Best and all the fruits have that added to it.

I totally agree though it sounds more like a sensitivty than an allergy. 
I thought all was well with Tyler and going from jarred pears and homemade pears.  Today he has the bright bright red rash on his face.  It is really hot to touch.
So could just be the acid that is naturally in fruits.

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Two mummies

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • Riley
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 04:57:10 am »
Riley had a few rashes when she was starting out on solids. One really bad one that spread to her hands and feet (we still haven't figured out what it was that she was allergic too!!!).

By process of elimination and reintroduction we discovered a few things she was allergic too including one brand of mayo (different brands are no problem) which caused a nasty contact allergy around her mouth.

The one sensible piece of advice our doctor gave us was never try to introduce suspect or new foods on a weekend....much harder to get into see your GP if they blow up like a balloon!!!!

The only other thing to keep in mind is sometimes you will never know what caused a mild reaction! Random rash attacks with no obvious cause can be common in toddlers  :P

Sophie
Sophie & Jo
Same-sex parents

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 10:50:01 am »
Not true.  Stage 1 fruits contain Absorbic Acid (Vit. C) as the third ingredient:  Pears, Water, Absorbic acid.  I just double checked and have Gerber Stage 1. 

I have Stage 2 Beechnut and Earths Best and all the fruits have that added to it.

I totally agree though it sounds more like a sensitivty than an allergy. 
I thought all was well with Tyler and going from jarred pears and homemade pears.  Today he has the bright bright red rash on his face.  It is really hot to touch.
So could just be the acid that is naturally in fruits.

Thats natualy in most fruits..

but if your worrieds go with Hinz

ingredients lare listed carrots for example = carrots and water
Kimberly

Offline D-bot

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 17:09:50 pm »
I am going to go back to rice cereal again and see if I get a reaction. It may well be the fruits. I'm just scared of him being constipated if I go back to just cereal again.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 22:48:45 pm »
what cereals have you given? I know rice is bad for constipation, hopw about barley?? DD loved it and it solved the constipation issue.
Kimberly

Offline D-bot

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 23:33:36 pm »
Well, I ended up going to see a doctor because I was really unsure about the source of the rash (whether from food or drool since it was localized to the mouth area only and does not look like hives) and would really hate to have to start over again on his solids. As it turns out, DS has perioral dermatitis from the drooling and contact with the hands so I am free to go on with my solids. YAY!  ;D

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 02:56:37 am »
YAY!!

still suggest sticking to one at a time :)
Kimberly