Author Topic: Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance (MSPI) Part 2  (Read 54040 times)

Offline MLK

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance (MSPI) Part 2
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2010, 12:56:17 pm »
Actually butter does contain up to 20% milk solids, but some BF babies can tolerate their mums having small amounts. Ghee/ clarified butter has most of the milk solids removed, so only a very sensitive baby would react to the tiny amounts coming through breastmilk. Ghee is a lot more expensive than butter though and has a different taste.

It can take 2-4 weeks fro their guts to heal so you might have to be very patient i nthe meantime. Has the doc given you any meds to ease the pain?

Offline anielasmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2010, 22:43:35 pm »
he gave her gaviscon prn up to 3x a day...idk how much it helped...its hard b/c her reflux is acting up too. but today was amazing! i had my old baby back for the most part and im really starting to hope!
im not risking anything no butter for me lol
Kami

scarlettsmom

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2010, 12:19:23 pm »
That's wonderful!!  I hope it continues! 

Actually butter does contain up to 20% milk solids

Interesting, I didn't know that and had been told differently...thanks for the clarification (pardon the pun..)  ;)

Offline MLK

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2010, 12:44:38 pm »
Unless butter is different here in Oz?

scarlettsmom

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2010, 14:00:31 pm »
Not sure - but it makes sense there are different ways of producing it.   I never took the risk to try it until much much much later - way too paranoid. 

Offline MLK

« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2010, 13:04:44 pm »
Thanks for clarifying that! I never had it until after he was 12 months old too.

Offline Stargrl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2010, 16:27:46 pm »
hi there
I am baaack; unfortunately!  I discovered this site & helpful thread with DS1 in '06, now DS2, breastfed & 3 months old, has tummy issues too, so here I am.  I was anticipating troubles and knew what to look for (mucousy, green poops) and when I saw some mucous I cut out dairy.  Then eggs (DS1 was fine with soy but intolerant to dairy & egg); later tested both and they were definitely a problem.  I wasn't using much soy but thought it would be safe since DS1 was fine with it.  Well, after a sushi night with tons of tofu products (inari, edamame, miso soup) DS2 had a REALLY bad reaction, so I cut out soy completely. 

Here's the weird part: for about 2 months,his poops have smelled strongly of vinegar.  My pedi wasn't concerned (but I'm not sure how much weight he's giving to the whole MSPI thing anyways) but I was certain it wasn't normal.  Well, I've been eating a LOT of peanut butter to make up for fat & protein, and remember reading somewhere that peanuts can be an issue for soy-allergic folks because they're both legumes.  3 days after cutting the peanut out, his poos smell like normal baby poops! yay! But he never reacted as far as mucousy poos go... Anyways, I can totally sub sunflower or almond butter, no biggie, but I was wondering: has anyone had a peanut problem along with the soy?  And if so, can you eat beans? Or are all legumes out?  I've been avoiding beans because they seem to make DS gassy.

Last question: for those with a soy intolerance, is soy sauce ok? I read on the list that soybean oil & soy lecithin are usually fine...

thanks!
-regina

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2010, 16:48:38 pm »
Soy sauce is out because it has soy protein in it--not just oil and lecithin. 

I guess if you have a known reaction to peanuts, I'd eliminate all legumes and then challenge one variety at a time. 

Offline anielasmommy

• my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2010, 20:38:47 pm »
yeah my DD was starting to do well and i had a pb&j yesterday (we hadnt excluded peanuts b/c i barely eat it and we didnt think that was an issue) and she was up at 3 am wouldnt go back to sleep but wasnt upset...then at 7 had a TON of diarrhea that was green and mucousy...the Dr said green poop was fine but everytime its green it seems to be diarreah so im linkin the connection lol guess i will cut out peanuts too.
Kami

Offline Stargrl

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2010, 04:16:19 am »
thanks for the replies.  I am super bummed about the soy sauce since Japanese food is so easily dairy-free!  Has anyone found an acceptable sub for soy sauce for sushi? Maybe the vinegar sauce they use for gyoza (pot stickers)? -sigh- I know it's worth it, but it's hard having the additional restrictions this time around.

Offline MLK

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2010, 07:25:08 am »
I could eat peanuts fine but not soy. You try a Vietnamese/Thai fish sauce based dipping sauce - not quite the same but better than nothing.

Offline anielasmommy

• my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2010, 14:27:02 pm »
ive replaced soy sauce with curry...its certainly not the same but its some sauce lol
Kami

Offline Stargrl

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2010, 07:58:42 am »
yumm, curry! I just made some tonight, with coconut milk.  It was so good, it's making my tummy rumble thinking about it, lol.

I have been thinking I am going to pose the problem to the sushi chef next time I go out.  Maybe sit at the sushi bar and ask if they can give me a dipping sauce that is soy-free.  They usually seem game for a challenge!

MLK, I'll go to the Asian market and see if I can find what you're talking about. thanks!

Offline MLK

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2010, 10:36:25 am »
Stargrl, it's a home made dipping sauce actually! Based on fish sauce. Not sure how well it would go with sushi - I got used to eating sushi plain.

Offline tarakay

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • "PLEASE"
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2010, 21:09:24 pm »
DD is 4.5 mo, and is honestly quite a happy baby!  I'm looking for a little feedback from the MSPI people to see if any of the following symptoms ring true:

- liquid stools for the past 2 mos on and off - last normal stools were over a week ago (no evidence of blood, but stool soaks completely into diaper)
- Frequent puking - started around 9 wks, has gotten better recently but today has been a bad puking day
- Red cheeks and raised bumps on neck (thought both of these were due to drool/teething etc)

On the positive side, she:
- Sleeps well - STTN 12 hrs, naps getting better
- Eats well
- Doesn't seem phased by the puking or the pooping
- Isn't fussy unless she's tired or hungry

I asked the dr about doing a stool sample and he poo-poo-ed me.... but he recommended that I cut out dairy (DD is EBF) instead.  I haven't had any DIRECT dairy (milk, cheese, butter, etc) for 3 days.  I know that it is a little early to see a difference.

My questions are:

- Do the symptoms above sound like MSPI?
- Wondering if I need to cut out even trace dairy and soy too.... (gosh... I hope not?)

Thanks much!
Tara
Tara