Author Topic: Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance (MSPI) Part 2  (Read 53850 times)

Offline ~Sarah~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
Re: Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance (MSPI) Part 2
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2011, 02:30:59 am »
hemp milk was fab
It may have been me (waving HI to everyone-it's been awhile since I have dropped in here) on another post.  When I was researching  alternatives for me with Bean, I found research suggesting that Hemp and Coconut were the most nutritionally sound and closest to cows milk in a nutrition sense.  I could not find anything directly comparing them to one another, but I found hemp to taste totally disgusting!!  I also chose coconut bc it had more fats in it than any other drink substitute.  It also was the highest in cals if I remember right.

There is also a whole grain drink that you can sometimes find that has oats, amaranth, and a bunch of other grains that tastes quite good and is not a bad nutrition substitute.

I personally stayed away from soy as so much soy in the US is genetically modified and personally I don't trust that as they have no long term studies on how it is affecting us as a population. 

My only issue with rice was it really did not contain much nutritionally.  It was just good if you wanted to get cereal wet or if you needed something to replace a liquid in cooking.

That is my official contribution :D

I used the coconut milk in all baked goods for the family and it really worked well.  Even in scrambled eggs, it made them a touch sweeter but not a noticeable coconut taste.
:-*
Sorry I haven't had more time to chat with all of you!!

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2011, 06:07:02 am »
Yeah, it was you Sarah, I remember now!

J had 2 sips of milk this morning then THREW it across the room angry. He also had a completely uncomfortable NW at 11pm (needed gripe water and a cuddle) and then an EW at 620. He was still tired and I lay in the spare bed in his room. He was trying to sleep (not crying and trying to get me to just get him up) but was uncomfortable and didn't sleep. Both NWs and EWs are very rare for us.

Once we are recovered from the milk trial I think I will try him on yoghurt. I know that lactose intolerance is rare in babies, but I think it would be a good (though not perfect) test to see whether he is lactose intolerant rather than MPI. The pattern of what he can and can't tolerate follows the FODMAP diet which is used for Irritable Bowel Disease suffers. The GP has said J has an irritable bowel (description of symptoms rather than diagnosis of disease). The FODMAP diet involves reducing foods such as those containing fructose (and so far J only tolerates fruit that is low in fructose like bananas, berries), fructans (which includes wheat and J has failed a gluten trial) and lactose (would say he's just failed a milk trial - so that's why I want to see if it's the lactose or the MP).

I soooooo don't want him to have to follow this stupid FODMAP diet but on the other hand it would be helpful to have actual RULES for what should be safe to feed him! (and I have been keeping FODMAP in mind when I try him on different things and it's been right so far....)

Just before we had our latest big earthquake we had done our gluten trial and I decided to get help from a dietican that deals a lot with IBS people and FODMAP diet. I had rung them the day before and hadn't got through. Now they're not even open again since they are inside the cordoned CBD ::). But I need help so will do it when I can.
Jenny - mama to

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2011, 14:18:10 pm »
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline ~Sarah~

• Showing Appreciation 59
  • The Moo/Bean Combo
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2011, 14:18:22 pm »
Jenny-not that it makes a whole bunch of difference as J is dealing with more than bean.  But, yogurt made bean really sour and spit up prone until about a wk before she had milk.

She could handle cheese and milk and yogurt through me before she could have yogurt or drink milk.  She has been doing great with ricotta chz on bread.  That was our first real dairy food she likes.

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2011, 15:39:11 pm »
I found oat milk almost as thin as the rice milk, I expected a thicker then it was

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2011, 21:03:31 pm »
Yesterday (the day after day 3 of the milk trial) he was definitely teething. But he doesn't get a hard tummy from teething so I don't think the trial is null and void but I don't want to continue when it makes it all a bit grey to be able to tell what is related to what.

We use rice milk in baking. Never had a problem with it.
Jenny - mama to

Offline SamHart

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2011, 03:02:10 am »
My 2yr 5month DD and 6month DS are both MSPI. My DS was only diagnosed at 10 months, we cut out milk and soy in full forms but she still ate foods containing milk and soy as they did not bother her terribly. We have now been told she won't grow out of MSPI unless we completely cut out all foods containing any milk and soy. We have started doing this but I wondered if anyone knew how long we may need to do this?

Offline 7yeargap

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2011, 13:23:29 pm »
I have finally today managed to convince my doc to try nutramigen as i feel my lo is mspi but she hates it!!!! so far she has only taken 3oz with much protesting. anyone else found this??

born through emergency C section at 35 weeks - suffered with reflux as a baby. A challenging boy with Aspergers syndrome and PDA but he still manages to make me smile every day x

Born through emergency C section at 38 weeks - suffering from reflux but still smiling x

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2011, 19:32:05 pm »
I haven't read through the whole thread, but was wondering--how young did all of you diagnose the MSPI?  I've had 2 kids with MSPI already, and while #3 is only 6 days old, today he has been a LOT fussier and gassy and has seemed like he's in quite a bit of pain (knees drawn up and yelling suddenly).  I know he could just be starting to wake up from the sleepy newborn stage, but I'm wondering if its time for me to cut out the dairy and soy.  I haven't been avoiding any of it because I was hoping I'd get lucky and not have to this time.  Also, we've had so many friends bringing us meals, so at this point, its been easier to just eat what we have.

Thanks!
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline huntersmummyinoz

• Showing Appreciation 100
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2011, 04:01:50 am »
7yeargap, my LO is on Neocate and gp and hv were pretty surprised that he was fine on it as LOADS of LOs have issues with the taste.

kim&savannah, i suspected at 5 weeks old but just started reflux meds so gave them a go first and only cut major dairy (milk cheese yoghurt) not hidden. at 7weeks still had issues and gp did stool testing and confirmed MSPI so cut all hidden dairy too and all soy. and i hear you on the meals, i had the freezer stocked with a months worth of meals and majority contained cheese! (lucky DH had some nice lunches at work for a while)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2011, 12:04:17 pm »
Hi, Please be advised I am going to lock this thread now and transfer the info on MSPI to a new sticky. Please ask any specific question that you have on the Food Allergies board and we will try our best to help you! xx