Author Topic: Great advice  (Read 1338 times)

Offline deb77

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 28, 2008, 12:15:32 pm »
I just wanted to record how some advice from Tracy prompted me into action when my dd was only a few days old and could well have saved her from brain damage. In 2005 I was a 1st time mother my dd was a ventouse delivery and became jaundiced. I was breast feeding and although she didnt feed very much I was reassured by the midwives that this was normal in the first 24 hour or so. They sent me home and I waited for dd to wake to be fed as I was told to feed on demand. She didn't wake up so when the midwife came to visit I questioned her. She and my mother both said I should just let her sleep- I should be grateful for a sleepy baby. All the sleeping time had given me chance to read BWSAYP. I read Tracy's side bar on feeding jaundiced babies every 2 hour. I was immediately alarmed. We phoned the hospital who again did not seem concerned that dd had been asleep for 6 hours without being fed. I insisted that we take her in anyway. They tested her bilirubin level expecting it to be fine but it wasn't she was dehydrated and had a level of 497. 3 more points and she could have been permanently brain damaged in fact it took 2 years of consultant appointments to monitor her development to make sure that she wasn't.  I am so grateful to Tracy for alerting me to the fact that this was not normal and for teaching me to trust my instincts even when more 'experienced' people are saying something different. debx
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 07:18:34 am by deb77 »

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Great advice
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 12:22:01 pm »
{{{hugs}}}  What a terrifying experience that must have been.  Glad you followed those mommy instincts and dd is doing great.  :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

em_here

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 13:14:48 pm »
Massive hugs, how scary that must have been for you, am so glad you read that advice and trusted your instincts, amazingly powerful thing isnt it xxxx

Offline stagemanager2

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Baby Samurai
    • Baby Samurai
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 13:29:41 pm »
instincts!  They are there for a reason!  hugs to you and your lo!
Heather

babysamurai.flyingcart.com
babysamruai.etsy.com

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 15:53:46 pm »
wow!  so glad this story had a happy ending.  :)
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy