Author Topic: Weaning a babt from breast milk to???  (Read 1240 times)

Offline nataliesmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Weaning a babt from breast milk to???
« on: April 06, 2008, 21:19:56 pm »
Hello-
I was just wondering if you think it would be alright to start mt 11month old on rice or soy milk? He has had dairy issues since birth as well as acid reflux.... we try dairy once in a while. It seems he could have cheese or yogurt once in a while, but not daily... any ideas. I am down to three day nursings and one night. Thanks!
Julie
Mom to Jordan, 8 weeks old,Natalie 3 1/2 years old and Jake, 7 years old

Offline ryan's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Re: Weaning a babt from breast milk to???
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 21:30:06 pm »
We didn't wean from breast to bottle but from Formula to rice milk ,DS was/is a refluxer and cow's milk didn't go well at all and caused us more problems but rice milk was fine . DS was not a keen milk drinker at all so he wasn't on it long after 2yrs old , he now has cow's milk with cereal and he's fine .Are you using bottles at all now with Breast milk ? If not then it might be an idea to introduce a sippy rather than bottle so you cut a weaning process out , they don't half attach to bottles  ::)Just thought I would add that soya can be very constipating for some LO's
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 21:33:26 pm by ryan's mum »
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline moonfairy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 13:29:53 pm »
Hi,

Can I ask how old your son was when you started him on rice milk? My 9 month old son is dairy intolerant and suffers with reflux. I have been breastfeeding him since birth and would like to wean him at 12 months but don't know what to wean him to. I have cut out all dairy from my diet and just use rice milk but I didn't know you could use it for infants. He is really sensitvie to foods and can't even tolerate hydrolyzed formulas which are supposed to be ok for dairy intolerant babies.

thanks x

Offline jswmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 14:28:15 pm »
Hi.  Just want to mark this post for myself.  My DS is 4 months old and is intolerant of dairy and soy.  I have cut all dairy out of my diet since he was two weeks old... any advice you get may help us in the future, too!

Offline nataliesmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Weaning a baby from breast milk to???
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 20:29:54 pm »
Hi- thank you for the input. I finally got my 11 month old to drink rice milk, he flat out refused to drink soy milk. I am concerned however that rice milk has no fat in it... my little active one needs fat! My doctor told me to go ahead and try dairy from time to time... so we tried cheddar for two days. THe first night was a little rocky, the second was horrible- he was having terrible stomach cramps. And it seems to have kicked in his acid reflux- he had bad hiccups about 5 times yesterday and is spitting up again.
Any idea about fat for my baby?
Julie
Mom to Jordan, 8 weeks old,Natalie 3 1/2 years old and Jake, 7 years old

Offline Jimbob

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 19:02:17 pm »
You could try adding olive oil to vegetables. You could also serve foods that are high in good fats like avocado.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline squeaky's mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • Sophie and Tom
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 19:44:40 pm »
DD has dairy allergy. My dietician told us that soya milk was not suitable for boys under a year but fine for girls. Although you can get suitable soay based formula. As dd had a dairy allergy we were prescribed this.

We added 'omega oils' to Sophie's porridge and other foods to up the fat content of her diet.

hth

Claire
Claire

Mum to Sophie (08/07/2005) and Tom (09/02/2008)