Author Topic: A very odd question about Ellie  (Read 1232 times)

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 369
  • If life hands you lemons ask for tequila and salt!
A very odd question about Ellie
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:27:17 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, I'm not really sure what the problem is, or if there is one.

Ellie has always been a possetting baby but recently she has been sick after every feed. It's alot and very mucousy or just straight milk. She is very windy no matter how long I wind her for. When I put her down to bed it takes a while cos she is suffering with wind or needs to be sick. Once she is sick she is fine for a while then it wakes her up even though she is exhausted. She also stinks, yes I am a kind mother! Without going into too much detail to gross you all out, when she farts the smell is so bad and strong it actually smells like it is an adult one rather than the baby type I remember Shay doing.

Now my question is, What could be causing this? She does have a cold, could it be that? Or the formula I've been using on and off, something I've eaten, teeth, whatever Shay had? I just feel so bad for the little girl cos she is in so much pain with it, you can see the relief on her face when she does fart or throw up. I really want to get to the bottom of it cos she is so happy normally and I hate seeing her hurting.

:-*
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy
http://postnatalillness.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Re: A very odd question about Ellie
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:34:01 pm »
Hmmmm I think it sounds as though there IS something....Emily has huge tummy issues too which we still havent got to the bottom of but I wonder if it's an intollerance related issue?
Can you think when she started being bad? Could it be when you introduced formula? Do u eat much dairy?

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 12:37:40 pm »
My first guess is intolerance.  Most likely dairy, although I am absolutely not an expert.  But both my kids have had milk protein intolerance (to different degrees) and whilst Zara stunk for ages cause it took me ages to work it out, Hugh doesn't stink, and he doesn't get any milk products (nor do I since he is BF).  He stunk before elimination though.

As for the spit up - that can go either way it can be reflux on its own, or it can be reflux as a symptom of an intolerance.

For Zara, it was a symptom of the intolerance, stopped instantly when put on soy formula.  For Hugh, he has reflux as well as intolerance, so is on reflux meds AND elimination diet.

Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline ~Faye~

• A TRUE FRIEND IS SOMEONE WHO SEES THE PAIN IN YOUR EYES WHILE EVERYONE ELSE BELIEVES THE FAKE SMILE .
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:41:30 pm »
Hmmmm, I had wondered about reflux since she was born, but it started to get better. I think it has been since introducing the formula, she didn't always stink bless her.

I do eat alot of dairy though :( yesterday I didn't have to give her a bottle all day and she is still as bad as ever. Maybe I should stop dairy and her bottle and see. What do you think?
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy

Offline ~Faye~

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 12:43:39 pm »
In fact, thinking about it I think it started really bad when I tried a bit of baby rice on the HV advice. She had one lot each day for two days and it really upset her so i haven't given her anything else. That was about 2 weeks ago I think.
Shay
Ziggy Sleep well xxx
Ellie
Darcy

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 12:45:18 pm »
It's def worth trying an elimination diet and bear in mind that it'll take a few days to 'get out of her system' so even if no diff after no bottle of formula it doesnt exclude an intollerance. As for reflux, mine both had/have reflux to severe degrees but totally different. Thomas never threw up emily STILL brings up even solids....I'd get it checked out.
Poor Ellie.

em_here

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 13:05:37 pm »
}}}}}}}}}}}hugs{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ to you and Ellie, hope u figure it out, my dd stank as well when she had dairy and farted all the time, plus runny nappies, does sound like a bit of intolerance xxxxx