Author Topic: Back/Stomach Sleeping  (Read 1093 times)

Offline HannahsDream

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 18, 2008, 15:38:23 pm »
What is the take on stomach sleeping with the Baby Whispering? We have never deviated from the back sleep and I'm just now realizing that it may be the number one cause for all our problems.

Here's the simple form of the situation.

First week slept fine on back in hospital and then not so great at home in a snuggle nest.

Second week started having more trouble and then by week 3 it was nuts how he wouldn't sleep so we moved him to a bouncy seat for sleep. Still not a great sleeper but it helped a lot. Became convinced it was gas.

Then at 6 weeks we tried the crib. Total disaster. Has not yet had one good solid nap. Usually cries from the get go and for the entire nap or maybe, just sometimes he will sleep for about 30-45 minutes only to cry from then on.

We tried jumping through a million hoops to avoid the "45 minute intruder". Nothing worked.

Here we are at 10 weeks and I'm ready to let him CIO because nothing, nothing is helping him to nap. He needs his sleep! Sure when we are out and he is in the car seat or Bijorn he sleeps fine but I can't have him out every single day. My husband isn't really crazy about the CIO method. I know it isn't popular here either. Trust me, I don't want to do it but I don't know what else to do...until today when this hit me.

Might he just hate sleeping on his back? I have many friends who say their babies never cry and slept just fine all the time. But, they had their babies on their back, with blankets etc...all the things we were told to never do. SIDS was the main reason we never put him on his stomach. One of my friends told me the statistics are changing year to year and they don't think they are reliable or something to that affect. I don't know. I am afraid but here's the thing, once again this morning he was crying and all fussy for his nap so I put him on his stomach for tummy time to help alleviate what may be gas and instantly he became happy and just snuggled in and turned his head to the side and closed his eyes while smiling away. He fell asleep as I watched him. Here it is an hour later and he is still asleep. He stirred a few times which may have been the 45 minute thing but he just readjusted and fell back asleep.

This is amazing to me and I want so much to just let him sleep on his stomach for naps. Could I do this and just watch him closely? I love my little guy so much and don't want to risk his safety but is it really that much of a risk?

BTW, at night he sleeps fine in detachable swing seat next to us. He won't for whatever reason sleep in that during the day.

So any opinions on this stomach vs. back sleeping??? ???

Thanks so much to anyone who has thoughts or experience with this!

Offline musicgal03

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Erik 10/24/07 & David 11/19/09 - Textbook Babies
Re: Back/Stomach Sleeping
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 15:55:15 pm »
I started letting my baby sleep on his tummy for naps at around 6 weeks. Changed EVERYTHING! He actually started sleeping through his naps. I would check on him a lot during the nap and make sure there was nothing in the bed. Now, my baby had really good neck control at that age and could already lift his head, so that made me feel more comfortable doing it. It is really your call, how you feel about it. But I tell you IT HELPED US!

Annie

Offline fiona1274

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • the family
Re: Back/Stomach Sleeping
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 21:11:51 pm »
I have been experimenting with stomach sleeping too as I really don't believe that she likes being swaddled. I know everyone probably feels this at some point but she is very calm and placid baby and I have been doing EASY since day 1. I have swaddled her for every nap and night sleep and every time she turns from a placid happy baby to a crazed animal!! She screams and arches her back and gets herself very upset so I have started putting her down on her tummy unswaddled. She has settled for the all naps today pretty quickly two with no noise at all, and has taken the same amount of time to settle at night but with very few tears.
We will see how tomorrow goes and how tonight goes after the night feed but so far so good. My LO is 7 weeks old.
I dream of hot cups of tea and delicious cake, long chats with friends and luxurious bubble baths!!
http://lbdf.lilypie.com/95QQp1.png