Author Topic: Arrgh - well-meaning relatives scuppering nap times!  (Read 723 times)

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Like your heart walking round outside your body
Arrgh - well-meaning relatives scuppering nap times!
« on: April 24, 2008, 09:21:53 am »
Does anyone else have this problem?

I'll spot the sleepy signs, settle Kitty down in her pram for a nap and leave her to settle herself down. It usually takes her a good half an hour to go from awake to fast asleep and during that time there are various spells of grizzling, crying, staring, whimpering, wiggling... you know what I mean.

It's fine if we're at home on our own, but if we're at someone else's house, or if I've visitors over, they just can't resist going over to the pram, jiggling it and saying loudly 'ooh, what's wrong with you then?' then turning to me and saying 'she's not sleepy - she's wide awake!' (By which time of course, she is, because they've disrupted her at the staring stage or whatever. Arrgh!)

It's driving me mad already and she's only 2 months old!  >:(

I'm having to be much more assertive than normal (which I find horrible!) and tell people (and their children) to 'leave her alone please, she's just settling herself to sleep'.

I feel like it looks bad that I just leave her seemingly unhappy, and often find myself jiggling the pram, just so I don't look like a bad mother!

Anyone else struggle with this?  :-\

Offline Purplecattypants

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 203
  • PANTS!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Arrgh - well-meaning relatives scuppering nap times!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:32:40 am »
Oh bless you, that must be SOOO annoying!! Could you not put her in her cot upstairs so that she's out of their reach?
Angela

My homebirthed, hypnobirthed, waterbirthed everything. 27th Sept '07, 6lb 10oz. Proud to have breastfed for 19 months!

Offline *Nicola*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 429
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:35:55 am »
I agree with Angela, I would put her in her room out of 'harms' way!
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Like your heart walking round outside your body
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 09:40:27 am »
My idea was to try to get her happy napping in her pram, as I thought then she'd be happy settling for a nap when we're visiting people, at church, at the shops, mums and tots etc. Not sure the plan is working though!

She also had day/night confusion for the first few weeks and my HV suggested I put her down for naps downstairs so she learnt the difference between day and night sleeping, which seems to have worked (unless she's just worked it out herself by now)

I do rather like having her downstairs where I can peek at her from time to time (paranoid first time mum!) and if we had a bigger house I'd push the pram into another room so she wasn't disturbed, but we're in a titchy two up-two down (or 'a dolls house', as my in-laws hilariously call it...grrr  >:()