Author Topic: Working moms/mums - come share tips and get support too! #2  (Read 77037 times)

Offline olkan

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Olga
Re: Working moms/mums - come share tips and get support too! #2
« Reply #300 on: April 19, 2009, 00:58:40 am »
I have my own office too, with 3 glass walls though lol:)

On the pump side, I think it really depends. I read all the recommendations and bought the double electric £200 Medela, and it only gave me bruises and got as much as 1 oz out of me. I now pump twice at work + before bed and during weekends too, so LOTS of pumping, and really love my simple £20 manual Avent, I'm getting 9 oz in 15 min with it no probs.
Suggest you try the simple one, if you don't like it, you can hire the expensive electrical, and see if it works better for you.

Tessa wasn't keen on the bottle in the beginning, and I had really tough time getting her to learn to take it, she loves it now, so that I actually pump and give her bottle on the weekends instead of nursing, so it will take some time and practice, but you lo will get there. Also, Tessa used to take about 80 ml right away, then refuse it, so I'd walk with her till she burps, and then she took same amount again. She's also very conscious on the tempreture of milk, it has to be almost hot, she wouldn't take the lukewarm. See if any of these might work for you.
It's always tough to leave them at first, but they are really adaptable, so it'll get easier as time passes!

Offline shark

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #301 on: May 01, 2009, 21:27:48 pm »
Anybody else jealous that their daycare providers get to spend more time with your kids than you do?

Offline clh

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #302 on: May 01, 2009, 21:55:53 pm »
Can't believe I've missed these last posts.  How is it going, Viktoria?  BTW, the same antibacterial properties that allow ebm to be ok for periods of time also apply to your pump parts.  If you're pumping multiple times at work, you can pump, put in a zip top bag in the fridge, pump again & just wash when you get home.  :-* 

And yes, Shark...  I always have been.  :'(
Candice

Offline lidiayy

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #303 on: May 03, 2009, 01:54:49 am »
Shark - the worst part is when DH comes to tell that DD "refused" to come home with him and preferred to stay with her daycare provider... Although she's only 1y2mo, it seems that she loves her a lot...  ::)

Offline mloveday

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Diva Angel
« Reply #304 on: May 05, 2009, 17:08:44 pm »
I have a question. I breastfeed once in the morning and then again at night. I pump once at work and then again at home before going to bed. I am getting exhausted and all this sitting around to pump is causing me to loose time. My LO is 24 weeks (5 1/2 months) and I was wondering if it would be okay to supplement a night feed with formula. Any suggestions?

Offline clh

« Reply #305 on: May 05, 2009, 17:12:20 pm »
A question first...  Am I understanding you correctly that you stimulate your breasts 4x/day:  bf in the am & pm, and pump in the day & pm?  Do you feed at night in addition to that?
Candice

Offline mloveday

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Diva Angel
« Reply #306 on: May 07, 2009, 16:58:35 pm »
No, the last time I BF is at around 7 p.m. then pump. After that the breastaurant closes down! (Well, unless there is a growth spurt, but I haven't fed in the middle of the night for a while. )

Offline clh

« Reply #307 on: May 07, 2009, 17:12:26 pm »
LOL @ Breastaurant!  :D

Honestly, I'd be hesitant to stimulate less than 4x/day at this point.  :-\  But I'm always paranoid about supply. 

How long do you pump for?  Manual or electric?  How many sets of pump parts (flanges, valves, etc) do you have?  And what exactly do you mean, "lose time"?  And the pm pump... is that at around 10 pm or directly after the bedtime feed.   I pumped seemingly forever (although I know others have done more) so I'm just trying to figure out how to work it into your lifestyle in an acceptable way. 
Candice

Offline mloveday

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Diva Angel
« Reply #308 on: May 08, 2009, 17:55:22 pm »
Oh- yes, breastuarant- I have many more......my friends and I have too much time driving home from work!

Well, I pump with an electric, one  valve, so that I can do what I am doing now :-)  type and respond to e-mails. It takes me 30 minutes each time. Let's see, I pump at 11 a.m and then again around 9 p.m. (I try to get into bed around 9:30)
I guess I mean loose time because there are days when I am sooooo busy at work, that to stop for 30 minutes and pump can be a pain, but I am like you, always worried about supply, so I do it.

So, maybe I would still pump, but would it be okay to do formula or just add cereal to the bottle? She is eating a lot more, almost 6 months, so I'll be starting solids this weekend. Carrots first I think....

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #309 on: May 08, 2009, 22:47:55 pm »
Definitely don't add solids to the bottle.  That can actually be a choking hazard. Plus cereal has very little nutritional value and doesn't really add that much extra in the way of calories.  If you really needed to, you would do better to use formula.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline mloveday

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Diva Angel
« Reply #310 on: May 11, 2009, 17:35:57 pm »
Thanks! I'll try formula....and she hated the carrots, but liked applesauce.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #311 on: May 11, 2009, 22:57:38 pm »
If it were me, I'd prefer the applesauce too! ;)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline lidiayy

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #312 on: May 12, 2009, 02:32:57 am »
Hi mloveday: I just loved the expression "Breastaurant"... Hahahahaha! Never thought about it! It always surprise me when I log on to BW web site and read all those posts, really pays off!

Now regarding adding cereals to her bottle, I second what Erin has said, I wouldn't add cereals because most of the times it contains sugar on a higher amount that is necesary to your baby at this moment. If I were you, I'd try formula, the taste is closer to your milk and I believe it wouldn't lead to an early weaning. You've been doing so much effort to keep your supply up that it would be unfair if your child starts to prefer milk+cereals from the bottle, wouldn't it?

HTH  ;)

Lidia

Offline mloveday

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • Diva Angel
« Reply #313 on: May 12, 2009, 17:33:13 pm »
Thanks! I gave her formula last night before bed and she drank about 4 oz. When I went to do the DF, I tried formula just to see, and I couldn't believe it, but my LO didn't take it!! While she was sleep turned her head away!!! lol.... however she might have been full though because we left her alone and she slept until 4 a.m. (Normally she sleeps through the night) So Obviously, the formula fills her up! I'll just have to cut back on the Oz before bed  so I can do the DF. Thanks ladies!!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #314 on: May 18, 2009, 11:35:31 am »
Wow, I can't believe I JUST found the the working moms support thread! I didn't even realize it existed, but how helpful.

Well, anyway, hello all. Just wanted to stop by and add that I work full time and I sometimes feel as though it's a juggling act. Hope you are all doing well.

Speaking of work, I need to go get lo ready to go to Grandma's for the day so I can get to work on time.

Have a wonderful day!