Author Topic: Finger Food Ideas for Celiac Baby  (Read 1025 times)

Offline LCBO0912

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 05, 2008, 00:39:32 am »
Hi,

My son hasn't been tested yet (only 8.5mos), but has showed definite signs of celiac (I'm a celiac).  I give him pieces of fruit, organic brown rice "crispies" and most recently, frozen blueberries, which he loves but are very messy.  Any other good ideas?  I like the cereal because it travels well, so I'm looking for stuff like that.  Fruit is good for home, but not while out and about.

Someone suggested bits of toast with butter, but I'm concerned about the density of GF bread.  He has a pretty good case of reflux disease, so therefore has a delicate gag reflex, and I'm just afraid he'll choke on it or something.  Has anyone tried it?

Other ideas are welcome and appreciated!

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
Re: Finger Food Ideas for Celiac Baby
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 07:43:11 am »
i use gf bread sticks here and crackers,rice cakes,chopped up cucumber in a lidded bowl,we have gf bread but it is very thick,maybe cut it into very thin slices.certain corn flakes are ok,organic usually as thats all they have in them.i take corn pasta out too and my dd2 eats it cold.

hth jenny
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline 403girl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • "Do I have to have a nap?"
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 03:46:17 am »
My son handles most grains but wheat. When he was that young I usually gave him baby mum mum's as a portable snack. And fruit. Now that he's older I give him rice bread and he can handle spelt so he has a lot of spelt pasta. I found rice pasta too chewy for him.
Kirsty - Mommy to Joel (02/25/07))

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 03:54:54 am »
Have you checked your local health food store or grocery store.

I just bought some GF Oh's for my ds2 at the grocery store.  Looks just like cheerios. 

You could also do some of the GF fruit bars they make and cut up into little tiny tiny pieces for him to pick up and eat while out. 

Rice cakes would be great to travel with also.

Sorry to hear that he is showing signs of it :(  I have researched Celiac disease a lot and I am sure it is no fun. 

DS2 is showing signs to oats and wheat also. 
What are your DS symptoms??? 

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline LCBO0912

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 15:13:49 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions!

I gave him GF toast today - he was ok with it.  Not a huge fan, but I'm sure he'll get used to it. 

I think rice cakes are a bit beyond him now, but will be good when he's older.  I'll look in to the Ohs.  The health food stores here are ok - they have more and more products available (a major change since I grew up with celiac let me tell you!), but I'm not sure I've seen Ohs without either sugar/cinnamon or honey.  I'll take another look.  The fruit bars are a good idea -thanks!  I know I'm intolerant to spelt so I think I'll put that off for a while too.  We have tried gf pasta - it was chewy, but he was ok with it.

As for his symptoms, the first time he tried oats he threw up a fair amount and had some poops that were almost diarrhea.  We put it aside for a month and a half and then tried again I guess when he was 7.5mos.  He went from having a normal poop a day to 8 or 9 very watery stinky poops as well as some cramping.  As soon as I took the oats away again he was fine.  He also got a good case of eczema on his legs and face.  So, he may not be celiac but there is certainly something up.  It does seem to run rampant in my extended family, so it's not a stretch that he'll at least be intolerant.  We'll see I guess!

Offline mom2ene

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 22:28:51 pm »
I just found some veggie and rice rusks as it says on the package.  They are GF. Made by Hot Kid and are Baby Mum -Mums.  I had never heard or seen them before but bought them for my dd they other day.  SHe tried the rice one today.  they dissolve easily but are big.  SHe quite mastered the taking small bites yet so I just broke one into pieces.