Author Topic: 7 week old - how to extend 45 min nap- where's the faq?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Lovejoy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
7 week old - how to extend 45 min nap- where's the faq?
« on: May 14, 2008, 21:09:07 pm »
hi

there used to be a faq on how to extend 45 min nap, something about going in at 30? mins to hold down body?
 up until last week my dd was doing long naps, but suddenly she's gone to 45 min naps. she is swaddled and  I try to ssh her or end up giving the dummy (which doesn't work as soon as it falls out she wakes up - which mean it's already become a prop in less than a week)  i did attempt to stop her jolt at 20 mins but ended up waking her up!  so please any advice would be great

please note i have  toddler too so i can't be with dd2 for too long shhing her to sleep.

pps IF i fail in extending her naps should i just give her several 45 min naps per day?

also at the moment her activity is generally no longer than 50-60 mins, as soon as she yawns i do the 4 SSSS routine.

thanks

Offline brenda2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 227
Re: 7 week old - how to extend 45 min nap- where's the faq?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 21:44:03 pm »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64168.0

here's the link.  it's in the FAQ section of naps.

50 min A time even may be too long if she's not had a good nap...and sometimes by the time they yawn it's already too late!  so you may want to try to get her down a little earlier.  is it for all naps? 

w2s will only work if they are independent at getting to sleep - if she's going to wake up without the dummy she'll still do this with w2s unless  you hold it in for her.  i would wean it if you think it's already that much of a problem.

HTH

Offline Lovejoy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: 7 week old - how to extend 45 min nap- where's the faq?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 11:59:01 am »
Hi

thanks for link!

all naps have become 45 mins (unless we are travelling in car which extends them)

dd2 is independent at sleeping, that is i put her down awake and she goes to sleep without me - i only used the dummy out of desperation when she woke up early from nap and my shhing hasn't worked and then i've lost patience/temper and my  other dd1 needs me, but i've decided not to continue with dummy.

but i've tried w2s - no success, trying the timings at 20 mins/30 mins and 40 mins
i've tried the pressure at jolts - nope!

today i did pat shh her and pressure on stomach and she settled in seconds and then would wake up minutes later and i continued doing this for about 1/2hr .  She then did asolid nap a further 30min before the jolt woke her again and we started the process again but then she pooed and we couldn't continue.

would this be the way to extend her naps (but would the pat/shh become a prop??) or is it ok as i'm only using it to extend her nap rather than put her to sleep initially?

please someone help and encourage me!
i normally out her down after 40 mins activity and max 50 mins really.