Author Topic: Sneezing as she eats - allergy?  (Read 9852 times)

Offline nevviemama

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Sneezing as she eats - allergy?
« on: May 22, 2008, 16:50:03 pm »
Hi all, my dd is 7 months (just over 6 adjusted) and I introduced solids a few weeks ago. Upon advice of our dr, stuck with rice cereal for the first 2 weeks, then veggies. She is fine with the cereal. Yesterday I introduced green beans, and she sneezed a few times while eating, and then again today. Could this be an allergic reaction? It's happening as she is eating. At the same time, she is learning how to take it from the spoon, and then puckers with the new taste and at times has gagged a bit just from sucking it off the spoon and having too much go down at once. So could the sneezing be triggered from that instead of an allergy from the food? I think she may have sneezed once or twice too when I introduced the cereal but I didn't connect it at all since it didn't happen every time. Now I wonder with the green beans, especially since it's in the legume family with peanuts. Didn't notice any other reactions yesterday (gave it to her twice, lunch and dinner) such as skin rashes. I will mention to my doctor next time I go, but should I discontinue and just go to the next food? I'm worried that if I try again and she does in fact have an allergy, I may trigger a more severe reaction?
Lucy
Neve's mum
Born: Oct 21, 2007

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Sneezing as she eats - allergy?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 16:56:53 pm »
Not sure about an allergy, but my LO certainly used to sneeze a lot when he started on solids - usually with a mouth full of puree carrot! It was a standing joke - food time, get the raincoats out!

Laura

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 19:37:55 pm »
Hi.  Honestly, I don't think you have anything to worry about. 

Not sure where you live, but I know allergy season this year is just awful, so it could just be from dust in her nose or something.

If you have any concerns though, it want hurt to stop it and go onto the next food.

Like you said, green beans are in the legume family.  I have some info that I am going to post from the allergist that shows if you are allergic to (x) food than there is a % chance of being allergic to another in the same family.

I think peanuts and legumes are like a 10% chance or something.

Really though, I would not worry about it just for sneezing.  If she is irritable, hives, swelling, notice in bowel movements, sleeping, etc. than I would worry than.

Hugs, Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline nevviemama

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 20:23:58 pm »
thanks, maybe I'll just try once again at lunch tomorrow. I did give them to her for supper and although she is a common night waker she did wake at 11:45 and we could not get her back to sleep until about 1:30, with varying degrees of complaining/crying which wasn't usual. I thought she may be teething and gave her tempra. I'll keep an eye on it.
Lucy
Neve's mum

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 00:35:59 am »
My rule of thumb is "If it effects their mood or sleep at all, then I remove it from the diet and try again at a later time".

keep us posted.

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline nevviemama

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 02:25:59 am »
well I think I have to move on to something else; put her down tonight and her early night sleep has been really good. Good rule, thanks!
Lucy
Neve's mum

Offline nevviemama

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 14:49:18 pm »
Hi all, just an update. Have found that sometimes she sucks in more food that normal and that seems to start off some sneezes - I've now seen that it happens regardless of what she's eating and no other reactions to note. So, just a by-product of learning how to eat! Thanks all for the support and info.
Lucy
Neve's mum

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 11:55:08 am »
:)  Yeah!  So glad to hear it.  I am sure you are relieved.

Thanks for the update, Wendy
Wendy -