Author Topic: WEANING thread #2... Come share experiences and offer support  (Read 85317 times)

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 192
Re: WEANING thread #2... Come share experiences and offer support
« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2010, 22:22:50 pm »
Hi

Does she take cow's milk / dairy in food without too much trouble? I wonder if may-be focusing on keeping her dairy intake up that way might be an option? Have you tried goat's milk?

I'm new to weaning. Just started weaning my 23m old (looks like I'm in good company :) ) yesterday. Finding it unexpectedly emotional. Anyhoo, so I have no experience on weaning to share. But perhaps focus on weaning 1 feed at a time, so say morning or bedtime. Worth reading the replies on this page further up as I spotted some good ideas / approaches here that might help you on the bedtime feed. For the morning feed, could you send DH into her instead and break the pattern / expectation?

Sorry. I'm probably not much help. New to this and finding it emotionally challenging myself!

Charlotte

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2010, 19:22:32 pm »
Hi Happy things are going pretty well.  The next morning his asked for 'B' as he calls it and I told he he would only have boobie at night now.  He was fine with it!  I on the hand am really surprised at how sore I am?!?! I figured since the milk wasn't stored up like when he was real young that I wouldn't be sore.  I still kind of am and it's been a week since we dropped the morning feed.  Is this normal?  He's still nursing before bed and he seems to be nursing longer then he did before we dropped the morning feed. 

I'm so missing the morning feed because it gave dh and I time to lay in bed a little longer.  Hopefully when he stops nursing completely I can try bringing him in our bed in the morning to cuddle and play.

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2010, 03:41:11 am »
Replacing the morning feed (eventually) with books and cuddles in "the big bed" has worked well for us. It's hard to believe, but my little guy actually got more snuggly after we finished weaning. I love story time and rocking him in the dark (not to sleep!) before I tuck him in.

Charlotte, don't forget your hormones are changing too. A little emotion is to be expected! :) Congrats on such a great stint!

Offline calebsmama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2010, 02:17:12 am »
I have a 15month old son that I have exclusively bf since day one. I'm back at work FT and I still feed him first thing in the morning when he wakes.  I have to go away for work for 1 week at the beginning of June - so this is the end..I guess.

I'm seeking advice on how to do wean him off this feed? I've tried to send my hubby into get DS in the morning but DS goes crazy looking for me and cries until we go to his room to feed :(

How do I get around this? do I cuddle and snuggle with him and then take him for breakfast? I'm assuming the bf is both hunger and snuggles but ...help!

please? anyone?  The sad part for me is I truly enjoy our morning time. DH is not a morning person - so i'm usually the one to greet DS in the morning and that's 'our time'. This 1 week away will be hard!!

looking forward to your advice.

many thanks!!

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2010, 03:25:03 am »
Does he take a sippy or bottle at all? Could you pump while you're away?

If that's not an option, maybe you could explain that mommy's milk is "all gone" (like bananas or something you have run out of that he understands). And then introduce a new routine that still is special mommy time? Maybe start the day getting dressed instead of staying in pyjamas and singing a special song or a new game/activity together (my little guy loves to do "sticker book" with mama).

Offline calebsmama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2010, 19:15:54 pm »
thanks Gypsymom..good advice. I don't want to pump while I"m away...I couldn't as my schedule is quite hectic - that's why the morning feed was always so great!
DS does use a sippy cup...but for nothing but water right now. Maybe I'll have to get up earlier and get myself together before he wakes and then we can have breaky together  or something..

I wanted to deal with this before I left, so my DH has an easier time...as it's not like he can pick up where I left off :)

happy sunday

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2010, 22:18:08 pm »
DS might surprise you. Sometimes LOs are surprisingly much more resilient and accommodating than we expect for someone else, even dads, rather than moms. I bet your DH will end up treasuring the week you are away (and my two cents is let him do stuff his way even if it's not 'the usual' - shower instead of bath, out for pancakes instead of cereal at home, etc). Also, DH will likely appreciate all YOU do more too. Expect it to go well, dearie :)

Offline bovi

• Viktoria
  • BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2010, 20:09:01 pm »
Hello Calebsmom, my experience was quite positive when dropping the last feed a bit over a month ago. I also asked DH to go for DS in the morning. He used to get his milk in bottle when I was not there so he was happy to take it instead of the morning feed. I only went to them when he has finished his bottle and I was all dressed. Somehow my pijama was triggering him  to want to bf, so it was easier for him that I was already dressed up. I never fleshed anything while weaning,was wearing pullovers an stuff.
When I went to his room he was happy I could dress him up and cuddle. in the few exceptional cases I used TV to distract him from wanting to BF. Weaning is completed now, he hardly ever pulls my shirt anymore.
good luck and well done on bfing so long! good job!
 :-* :-*

Offline calebsmama

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2010, 15:25:39 pm »
thank you for sharing your experience with me Bovi.

It's been almost 1 week since I last bf DS. He's adjusting better than I expected. I too get DH to go to him in the morning and then when I'm dressed we go to the kitchen for breakfast. He's always had his lovely (blanket) and he seems to need it for a few more snuggles than usual. I'm ok with this!

My question is now about me...I'm in quite a bit of pain :(  I didn't think my body would react this way, given I was down to only one feed a day. I would have to compare the pain in my breasts to that of being in the early stages of pregnancy....hmm, maybe I should check that out :)

Any advice on how to ease pain? I've been taking warm showers etc..but it doesn't seem to work that well. If I pump, wont' it just come back? looking to the forward of the wisdom on this board!

xxx

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #159 on: May 09, 2010, 10:49:49 am »
Try ice packs put water in a nappy and freeze. Apply to breasts for 30 mins on, 1hr off.

Also green cabbage leaves, put in fridge - wear under bra for 20 mins until warm - use only at times of engorgement as they do have enzymes in them that help reduce your supply.

Offline dee12h

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • My website
« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2010, 21:22:28 pm »
I just have a question. Did any of you experience mood changes with weaning (not just sad about weaning although it might be hard to tell the diff. :) ). BF has done wonders for my mood. I'm so much more relaxed & happy, but it's already starting to change as I'm just pumping during the day & nursing twice- morning & night. If so, how long did it last? Thanks!
My touchy baby.

My active textbook boy.

Offline FrenchWife

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • Eutopia Childrens Boutique
« Reply #161 on: May 20, 2010, 20:14:50 pm »
Hi guys! my son is 14 months and is still nursing a ton! 3-4 times during the day and about 4 at night. he asks all the tie during the day and i have been trying to distract him and stick to am, pm and nap, but its rough.  I really need to start cutting them down because I am trying to get pregnant again and can't while nursing this much. not to mention it is really starting to drive me a little crazy. i love nursing him, but i just feel like this is way to often at this age, especially at night.  i am not sure if i am going to completely wean him right now, but i want to cut it down to just the three times a day, tops, maybe just two. He was actually night weaned at one point a few months back, (and still didn't sleep through the night) but he got really sick for a bout a month and started refusing all solids completely and so i was worried and started letting him nurse on demand again, which was a big mistake. I am glad he had the nourishment, but it has been nearly impossible to recover from.  I never actually nurse him to sleep, but it is always before sleep and then put him in the crib to fall asleep. do you think this could still be hindering his sleeping? I know he doesn't need to be eating during the night at this point, its just really hard to break him of it even with PD because i think he is genuinely hungry from the habit of it. and his father can't help my a whole lot right now, cause he has a lot going on with work, so i am not sure how to cut all this nursing down.  Sorry for the long rant, lol. any advice? TIA!!!

Christine
-Christine

Mom to Isaac & Natalie Kate
Wife to Jonathan

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2010, 03:06:54 am »
Sorry to hear it's a bit nutty, Christine. I wound nursing down to TTC also. When we did get our BFP, I was only nursing once a day, in the morning. I think the night nursing could really hinder your chances (although some lucky ducks seem to manage to be fertile even with loads of BFs!?!). My main suggestion for dropping the night feeds is to LET him be hungry (and go through a few rough nights) so that he'll increase his daytime (solids) intake. It usually only takes a few days before he'll figure out he should eat more supper ;) Also, walk-in, walk-out might work better with Isaac than PD.

HTH.

Offline aylien

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #163 on: June 02, 2010, 17:18:27 pm »
I just have a question. Did any of you experience mood changes with weaning (not just sad about weaning although it might be hard to tell the diff. :) ). BF has done wonders for my mood. I'm so much more relaxed & happy, but it's already starting to change as I'm just pumping during the day & nursing twice- morning & night. If so, how long did it last? Thanks!

I am wondering the same thing (and so is DH)...

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2010, 19:41:19 pm »
BF does give you 'feel-good' hormones (especially at letdown I think) so it makes sense that you'd notice the difference. Not really sure how long to expect to balance out but I would guess maybe one or two menstrual cycles until your hormones are back in check. However, I'd recommend finding another source of that kind of relaxation/boost - maybe yoga or running or painting depending on your temperment.

:-*