Author Topic: WEANING thread #2... Come share experiences and offer support  (Read 85312 times)

Offline momofjames

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: WEANING thread #2... Come share experiences and offer support
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2010, 02:15:56 am »
hello hello. first off I have had such a positive experience so far on this site. I really dont know what I would have done without it.
with that said, I need even more help. my DS is 11 months old and is still EBF, my doctor has told me that I can stop BFing in 2 weeks. "two weeks before his first birthday". I have to be honest I know many mothers loved their BFing experience and have trouble giving it up but I have had no fun at all it has been difficult for me from day one so I want to wean him as soon as he wouldn't have to be on formula anymore.
my two questions are: 1) he still gets 4 breastmilk feedings a day (two of them are EBM at daycare, the other two are his morning and evenings sessions) should I cut him back to less feedings or its is alright to just let him go cold turkey. (his daycare teacher has been slowly mixing cows milk into his EBM over the last month, so its mostly the morning and night feedings I am worried about.) He has never had a problem taking milk from a sippy cup from somebody else but gets angry when I try to because why have the sippy cup when the real thing is right here, which I cant blame him for. so I would like to know how other mothers have worked through this bump in the road.
question 2) my DS still wakes up once during the night and I BF at that time. what do I do after he is weaned? should I have a cup of milk ready and give him that? will he have trouble falling asleep afterwards? (because he BFs half asleep so its easy to put him back in his crib)
any and all help is very appreciated. thank you =)
~Lauren~

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2010, 11:33:33 am »
Lauren, getting to the one year mark was such a milestone for us. I think if it were me, I'd drop the daycare EBM first (especially since pumping can be such a nuisance!) so that it is just cow's milk and then the night feed (is he waking up around the same time each night? how long does he feed then?). The whole process will take a few weeks, but I think that would be better than rushing it. You've almost made your goal (and given your DS a great start in life), hang in there!!

Offline momofjames

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2010, 02:48:24 am »
thanks for the input. actually this week he is getting 3/4 cows milk and 1/4 EBM at daycare, then next week will be only cows milk so were on the right track with that one (next week will be week 4 of the transition). as for the night feedings he wakes up at 3 every night like clockwork. last night I tried just cuddling him for a minute and putting him back without feeding him because another mom at work was saying he probably doesnt need that feeding anymore hes just used to it so e expects it. well I gave in after a great deal of crying and fed him but made it a shorter meal (instead of 10 minutes on each side I only did 5, then tonight ill try to shorten it even more) I am hesitant however because I fear he has inherited my metabolism (very fast) it definately has its advantages but I remember when I was working out a lot I would keep a box of goldfish crackers next to my bed because I woke up at 4 each morning starving, so I would eat a couple handfuls of crackers then feel comfortable enough to fall back to sleep. If it werent for that I would be more aggressive about getting him used to no middle of the night feedings. as it is I may just have to keep a sippy cup of milk in the fridge and let him have some when he wakes up at 3. for now though I am still breastfeeding him so I dont need to worry about that yet. taking it a night at a time. Maybe slowly decreasing the amount he gets in the middle of the night will get his body used to metabolizing a little slower at night?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:50:26 am by momofjames »
~Lauren~

Offline momofjames

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #168 on: June 16, 2010, 02:53:12 am »
oh and random happy update. I couldnt find his binky tonight so I tried putting him down without it and he didnt fuss at all, he just snuggled up with his hippo (he uses it like a pillow) and fell right to sleep. =)
~Lauren~

Offline nobrega

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #169 on: June 16, 2010, 20:34:17 pm »
Hi everyone,
My baby is now 12 months and I have reached my goal to BF until now.
My nightmare is how to wean him off BF. During the day he BF two times and 1 before sleep.
When he wakes up at night I also BF which is around twice a night.
I don't know where to begin...this all seems so hard and I really need help!
Any advices....

Thanks so much!

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2010, 00:08:37 am »
I read back through this thread, there is loads of good advice. I'd drop the night feeds first so you can get some rest! :)

Offline momofjames

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2010, 02:01:17 am »
Im glad to see Im not the only one with a 12month (actually 11.5) old who still BFs in the middle of the night. I was starting to think I had done something wrong.
~Lauren~

Offline aylien

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2010, 16:38:37 pm »
Lauren, you are hardly the only one! I have an 11-month old who still BF's twice at night (more often on nights I resort to accidental parenting to get some sleep).  I have mixed feelings about weaning which I think is why I'm still stuck nursing at night.  On one hand, I know I should wean at night so that my LO learns to rely on herself rather than on nursing to fall asleep.  On the other hand, I'm gone at work from 6-5 Monday-Friday, so night nursings are precious time together.

I don't think you've done anything wrong - you've probably just made different choices, which is fine since everyone parents differently   :)  Plus it sounds like you're making progress and maybe it's just a matter of time now before your LO stops weaning at night.  You sound like you have a very conscientious, gentle approach, which I think it great!

Offline Manueli

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • big hugs
« Reply #173 on: June 27, 2010, 22:21:15 pm »
Hi, my LO is also almost 12 months and still feeding at night. But I am actually just in the process of weaning at night because he had a prop issue and woke every 1-2 hrs. Tonight I am reducing it to 1 time hopefully and by his first birthday I want him off the night feedings completely.

However I don't feel quite ready to wean the day feedings but my LO is going to daycare starting in August and I don't want to pump anymore (had to pump the whole last 9 months). So I want to start introducing cows milk for his feedings after the naps, but am not quite sure how. Do you think I should go cold turkey since he never minds getting formula from other caretakers or his dad? He is quite happy with whatever milk/drink he can get and drinks really well out of a sippy cup or bottle. I haven't pumped for a while and have no milk stored, so mixing with cows milk would be a bit difficult. Also he might be confused because I am right there, so why not give him the breast.
Manuela - Hayden (02 July 2009), Lukas (27 July 2011)

Offline aylien

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2010, 16:29:26 pm »
Manueli, I do think he'll get confused if you try to give him the bottle if you're still nursing.  Just from my experience though [my LO won't even take EBM from a bottle from me, and she takes it happily from DH as long as I'm not there. Also, she won't take anything other than EBM from a bottle - not formula, not soy milk, and she's allergic to cow's milk].  However, each baby is different and it doesn't hurt to try.  If he's happily taking formula from a bottle, you at least have that to fall back on if the he doesn't take to cows milk right away?  You could nurse when he's home with you and when you're not around (i.e. at daycare) he could get formula. 

Offline Little toes

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #175 on: August 10, 2010, 00:01:01 am »
I'm joining you ladies..... I kinda need some advice. I've been bf dd for 9mo now, and I feel like stopping, but a part of me feels guilty. But even tonight as I bf at bt, the happy feelings I usually have weren't there. I feel bad for saying that cuz I know it's an important part of her development. I'm feeling tired of a lot of things really, so should I maybe wait it out? continue and hope she starts sttn, cuz she wakes up a lot at night. Anyone else ever feel like this?

Offline momtokennedy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2010, 15:08:40 pm »
Hi

I'm also jumping in here. I am still BF my 12 mth DD last thing at night and first thing in the am. I went back to work a few weeks ago and she is NOT adjusting to daycare very well so I don't want to stop BF all together to stress her out even more.  My DH wants me to stop....I'm not going to be convinced by him though, but I am starting to think that it might help her sleep longer if I do.  Anyway, DD wakes at 5am every morning and I AP to get another hr of sleep in, this is when she nurses in the AM. Should I just stop AP and BF her in her room and see if she'll go back to sleep or just get up with her and offer her milk from a sippy cup? We have tried everything to try to get her to sleep longer ie: through the sleep issues section. I think it is just her habit now. We are also going away in 2 months so I thought I would wait until we get back as I know if she doesn't sleep well I'll have BF to resort to!

So, wait until Daycare settles down and we get back from our trip or start changing the 5am habit sooner?

Also, should I go to a bottle at night as I BF to very sleepy or just skip this step all together and give a sippy cup of milk? VERY NERVOUS about this one.

FYI: I have been anxious for the last 12 months and finally went to see the dr about it and was diagnosed with Post Partum Anxiety...hense me stressing about a vacation happening in 2 months! I just feel like I want to be fully prepared and have the right tools in place before changing/stopping BF.

Littletoes: I mentioned this because I noticed in your post that you said you were feeling a bit tired of lots of things. I felt like that OFTEN.

Cheers
Sarah

Offline FrenchWife

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • Eutopia Childrens Boutique
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2010, 20:26:33 pm »
hey guys!
I have decided that it is time to wean my 17 month old. being nearly halfway through my pregnancy my milk is almost gone and his nearly "dry nursing" is starting to hurt. my question is how to drop the last feed at this age. it is first thing in the am and he still looks forward to it greatly for some reason. he has also started asking several times during the day again (possibly due to our move) and it is very hard to turn him down. probably because it is in situations where i can't really distract him, like story time before bed/naps. so how do I cut it out without leaving him screaming? i don't want to traumatize him. i keep telling him the milk is gone, but he always wants to try, lol. I thought about cutting out every other morning but that hardly seems like it would work until he stops asking during the day.  any thoughts?
-Christine

Mom to Isaac & Natalie Kate
Wife to Jonathan

Offline inoella

• Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2010, 02:27:21 am »
Hello Ladies - Hoping for some moral and emotional support to wean the night feedings. Aylien - did you have success with this? DD is 10 mo. and if DH goes in to get her she often will settle on her own but when she does seem to ask to nurse she will take a little bottle of BM - last time just 2 oz. and then settle. But if I go in with a 2 oz bottle she starts to cry - more like scream - when I put her down and I just haven't had the heart or mental energy to stick it out so I give in and BF again... I'm torn, on the one hand  I'm not positive the NW are habitual since they'er all over the place and even if she isn't truly "hungry" she might at least be thirsty? I know I am when I wake up at night so I hate to deny her that. On the other hand I want her to be able to settle on her own and make up the calories during the day. Should I try a sippy of water - she takes that well during the day. I want to get DH involved but he's working such late hours lately I don't know how much help he'll be...

Momtokennedy - I've read through the earlier posts and most moms recommend skipping the "middle" bottle stage and just substituting a sippy.  Although, if you think DD is getting enough calcium during the day she wouldn't technically need the milk at night. Some moms just substituted the BF for  stories or some other part of BT routine.

FrenchWife - prev. posts recommend going straight to breakfast to skip the a.m. feed. FWIW, I would think an every other morning schedule would be confusing... I wonder if it has more to do with the move - as you mentioned? I think LOs pick up on those things more than we might think. Maybe he needs a special something from you that you do every time he asks to nurse - don't know why I thot of that one, it just came to me. :) Like a story, or cuddle, etc. Also, does he like the sippy? Some moms have a sippy with whatever their LO likes - almond milk, rice milk, etc. - in place of the BF. Then again, some moms don't like to replace the BF with a sippy and just offer milk at meals. :) I guess it depends on your LO!

LT - how's it going? :)
*Jaci*

Offline aylien

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #179 on: August 31, 2010, 15:59:58 pm »
Hi Inoella, yes, we've had success although it took a very long time and persistence (and mentally preparedness on my part).   My biggest piece of advice to you would be to make sure you’re 100% mentally ready to do this.  In my case, until that happened, I wasn't able to be consistent at night and the inconsistency worked against me in the end making things harder.  So I would DEFINITELY wait to even start with the night weaning until you know you're ready.  Also, is your LO able to put herself to sleep or do you nurse to sleep at BT, at all NW, and at naptimes?  If she has a nurse-to-sleep association, your task is harder and you’ll have to decide whether you want to break all habits in one shot or do things gradually.  Kira had a nurse-to-sleep association until she was 9/10 months old when I used PU/PD to teach her independent sleep.  I chose to do things gradually one at a time because Kira is a very Touchy child and I wasn’t mentally prepared to night wean fully at 10 months.

Once you're ready, you cannot nurse at night no matter what.  If you nurse her sometimes, she doesn't understand why you're not nursing when you refuse.  If you stop nursing entirely at night and are consistent, she'll get the message that nursing isn't going to happen if it’s sleepy time and she'll eventually stop expecting/demanding it.   When she wakes, you'll have to use PD to settle her back to sleep.  In my case, the first few nights I actually held Kira while she cried for a long time.  I put her back in her crib once she calmed down some; then I let her hold my hand and she eventually went back to sleep.  Now I'm weaning the hand holding. 

I would definitely recruit DH's help - night weaning is hard enough as it is not only because you're already exhausted (and will get even moreso, as you'll have a few very long nights before you see success) but also because it’s such a strong instinct to want to nurse your baby when she asks for you.  Plus, as you've experienced, when YOU try to settle her without nursing, she knows you're holding out and so she gets furious upset.  With DH, she knows there's no way he'll be nursing her so she settles much quicker.  I realize your DH works long hours but see if he's willing to help out, maybe over a long weekend. Parenting is hard, and it's not fair for just one parent to do all the hard work.  In my case, I'm the one who works fulltime, DH is the stay at home parent, yet I was the one handling all NW's until Kira was a year old (mainly because I got into the habit of nursing to sleep at night).  I finally convinced DH to help me by suggesting that we split nights into two shifts - he handled all NW's between 10-2 and I took the shift from 2-6.  This felt fair to us (and made things a thousand times more manageable for me!).

Once I was mentally committed and had DH's help, things started to improve.  The other thing I know has helped a lot was getting Kira to eat a lot more during the day.  It was a gradual process.  I think there were a few nights that Kira was actually hungry at night, and those were rough nights for all of us.  But then she started eating more during the day and sleeping much better at night.

If you’re worried about your LO being hungry at night you can offer a bottle.  My guess is she’ll refuse the bottle from you because what she really wants is the comfort of nursing.  If hunger were her problem, she’d accept the bottle.  So offering the bottle will at least give you the peace of mind that she isn’t hungry, which might make things easier for you psychologically.  But if you do offer a bottle at night, just know you’ll eventually have to wean her off the bottle too.  I would just stop feeding at night altogether.  I noticed that once I stopped feeding Kira at night, she started eating better during the day and this seemed to help her sleep at night.  But I couldn’t get Kira to eat more during the day UNTIL I stopped feeding her at night.  I don't think there's anything wrong with offering her a sippy cup of water.  DH did this with Kira a few times, sometimes she took a drink, sometimes not. 

Anyway, this is just from my own experience, but I HTH.  I know it’s really hard, but things will get better.   :) Sending hugs.  Let me know how you get along!