Author Topic: anyone drink rice milk?  (Read 2258 times)

Offline CCCmom27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 27
anyone drink rice milk?
« on: May 30, 2008, 16:24:54 pm »
My pediatrician suggested I try rice milk (off dairy and soy for DS).  I looked at it at the grocery and saw there was a plain and a vanilla.  I wondered which one anyone that drinks rice milk drinks?  I'm kind of scared to try it but hopefully someone has some good things to say about it!  Thanks.

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Re: anyone drink rice milk?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 16:30:01 pm »
DS had severe reflux and couldn't tolerate cow's milk but loved rice milk , we had no problems with rice milk (plain) it just makes washin the bottles a bit harder because it does stick to the sides .You can get one with added calcium
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 16:32:18 pm »
the caramel one is nice too!
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

daybyday

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 18:55:53 pm »
Have you tried goats milk at all? I've been told that has more nutrition than rice milk......I would go with plain rice milk for a LO though

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 05:47:41 am »
Is the rice milk for you or ds? W your post I assumed it was for you but then I read the replies and now unsure. The only thing I would say about goats milk is that the protein is very similar to that found in cow's milk which is why a lot of people still react to it. However some people drink it with great success. If it is for yourself and you eat a balanced diet I can't see the rice milk being an issue, it is just a matter of getting used to the taste really. If it is for your ds then it depends what age he is.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline dancingbear

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 06:48:21 am »
Hi!

saw this and had to reply. My daughter is dairy/soy intolerant. Worked it out when she was 4/5 mo old and i was still breastfeeding so had to switch to rice milk. We use Rice Dream with added calcium and its great, tastes quite sweet and may take a little getting used to but now i prefer it to normal milk and still have it in my cereal nearly 9 months after stopping bf'ing! My daughter has it with her cereal and has an 8oz bottle before bed and she loves it.

hth!

emma x

Offline meltown

• Showing Appreciation 130
    • Living a Frugal Life
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 21:44:26 pm »
I am drinking the plain now.  I like it.  I tasted the vanilla but had a bit of an allergic rash with it.  DS likes the Vanilla best as he is MPI and I am drinking the plain while BFing DD.  it is a bit bland at first, but I love it now. good luck and don't be scared, it is worthit if it works for you.
Melissa
http://www.livingafrugallife.com - Frugal Living

mom to:
Braxton 09/06/2006
Reagan 03/27/2008
Kiley 09/27/2010
Quinn 02/10/2013
Madison 08/07/2021

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 23:50:06 pm »
Sorry I forgot to write that I am the one off dairy because I'm bf ds.  I broke down and got the vanilla and it tastes like rice!  I'm sure it's just because I know it's rice milk that that's what I taste.  I'm going to give it another shot before I get rid of it.  I'm not sure it's really worth me drinking it because it doesn't have the amount of protein cow's milk has.  A lot of times I would drink a glass of milk when I didn't have time to eat something and that would hold me over until I could make something to eat.  But I don't think I can gulp down a glass of rice milk like I can regular milk!  Maybe it will grow on me?

Offline SiestaNoMore

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 00:00:07 am »
Just to add more choices for you (not sure if you want more choices?).....

Our boy loves Almond Milk (made from almonds). And you can buy Hemp Milk too (made from hemp seeds) at our grocery store too.
All the best...

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 01:53:31 am »
As an adult I have tried it due to lactose intolerence.  I don't drink it all the time, but definately have had my share.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 02:32:06 am »
You are right, rice milk has no protein or fat in it.  You bascially would be drinking it for the calcium and the added vitamins in it.

Could you do orange juice?  They make some that has extra calcium added to it. 

Do you need the rice milk for the calcium mainly?  You proably are getting all the other vitamins from the foods you eat. 

You could also ask your doctor for a calcium supplement.

Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!