Author Topic: Red food dye Info./ Artificial dyes in foods  (Read 13754 times)

Offline SiestaNoMore

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Re: Red food dye Info./ Artificial dyes in foods
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 05:01:31 am »
Pulling all artificial coloring out of my sons diet has helped immensely with eliminating a skin rash that was covering his entire back and was requiring doctor's attention.

We eat pretty healthy and natural but in reading ingredients of EVERYTHING we have, was shocked to find color listed as an ingredient in:  our cheddar cheese and soy cheese (we now buy aged old white cheddar), pancake mix, Miracle Whip (like mayonnaise), and some spices like Lemon Pepper.

Not sure if everyone's child is as sensitive to all coloring as my child but thought I'd throw it out there that staying away from artificial coloring was trickier than I thought.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 02:57:43 am »
Just wondering, was this something that you did on your own or did the doctors tell you to try?

Is his rash completely gone?  That is great.

Thanks for sharing :)  Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline SiestaNoMore

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 00:04:23 am »
Our reg doctor prescribed cortisone cream for his rash and said he'd eventually grow out of it. Even with the cream he always had a rash covering his entire back - just varying degrees of it. At its worst it looked like we were raking his back/bum because he'd scratch so hard he'd bleed. And we were kind of hoping for more answers than to apply cortisone for the next couple years....

We took him to a natural doctor. Based on that visit we took him off of processed food, MSG, and food coloring and cook more naturally using only sea salt instead of regular salt. Within days his rash completely disappeared.

It is pretty difficult to 100% avoid food coloring (with my "well-meaning" relatives anyways!). Anytime they give our boy even just a little candy, pop or other with coloring in it we notice an immediate change in his personality (gets super active, has problems sleeping, etc) and he gets a faint rash.

But at least we can get him on track right away and his rash is gone again within 2 days. Crazy thing is we cooked pretty naturally even before. That's why I was so surprised to find out food coloring was lurking in a whole pile of "healthy" things!

Offline Troi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 13:24:42 pm »
Hi Ladies, I have just been looking into this whole thing as my 20 month old DS has started biting/hiting etc.  I found this rather interesting list.  Hope it helps some.  It is labeled 'best avoided by Children'

Sweetners
E951 Aspartame
Colours
E102 Tartrazine
E104 Quinoline Yellow
E107 Yellow 2G
E110 Sunset Yellow
E120 Cochineal
E122 Carmoisine
E123 Amaranth
E124 Ponceau 4R
E127 Erythrosine
E128 Red 2G
E129 Allura Red
E131 Patent Blue V
E132 Indigo Carmine
E133 Brilliant Blue FCF
E142 Green S
E151 Black PN
E154 Brown FK

Back to top of page

Preservatives

E210 Benzoic acid
E211 Sodium benzoate
E212 Potassium benzoate
E213 Calcium benzoate
E214 Ethyl 4-hydroxybenzoate
E215 Ethyl 4-hydroxybenzoate sodium salt
E216 Propyl 4-hydroxybenzoate
E217 Propyl 4-hydroxybenzoate sodium salt
E218 Methyl 4- hydroxybenzoate
E219 Methyl 4- hydroxybenzoate sodium salt
E220 Sulphur dioxide
E221 Sodium sulphite
E222 Sodium hydrogen sulphite
E223 Sodium metabisulphite
E224 Pottasium metabisulphite
E226 Calcium sulphite
E227 Calcium hydrogen sulphite
E230 Biphenyl
E231 2-Hydroxybiphenyl
E232 Sodium biphenyl-2-yl oxide
E233 2-(Thiazol-4-yl) benzimidazole
E239 Hexamine
E249 Potassium nitrite
E250 Sodium nitrite
E251 Sodium nitrate
E252 Potassium nitrate

Back to top of page

Hidden dangers! 
Monosodium Glutamate E621 is a notifiable additive, however it can also be found in the form of hydrolyzed protein. When added to food in this form, there is no requirement to state the presence of monosodium glutamate. For additional information click here.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline eireann74

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 21:35:13 pm »
I wrote Nature Valley and asked them why their granola bars have food coloring. This was their response:

Dear Valued Consumer:

Thank you for contacting General Mills about the use of artificial flavors and colors in our products.

Most people would agree that food tastes better if its appearance is pleasing.  Because processing or high temperature cooking tends to destroy natural colors, natural or artificial color is added.  When natural flavorings are in short supply, artificial flavorings are used.  They maintain a stable flavor level during processing and storage of the product.  We are researching ways to reduce artificial coloring and still produce an attractive product.  The food coloring used is completely harmless to your family's health; however, we understand and respect your concern and desire to provide good, wholesome food for your family. 

We appreciate the opportunity to share this information with you and hope you continue to choose our products.

Sincerely,

Nancy Jackson
Consumer Services

And so this was my response back:

Dear Nancy,

Actually, Red 40, which is in your sweet & salty peanut, cashew and mixed nut granola bars (at least), is not completely harmless. Studies have shown that this food coloring, and possibly others, has been linked to several maladies, not the least of which is ADHD-like behavior. Once removed from some children's diet, there is such marked improvement that said children have been "undiagnosed" as having ADHD, meaning they never had it to begin with and their behavior was a direct result of food dye ingestion. Additionally, Red 40 has been banned in several European countries, and labeled as an ingredient not to be ingested by children in England. Moreover, they are attempting to have all foods Red 40 free by 2009.

I appreciate the opportunity to share this information with you, and hope you find it useful for the next person who queries you regarding food dyes.

Sincerely,

Maureen

I haven't heard back...

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 22:20:28 pm »
Ooh, nice one! Let us know what their response is, if any. :)

Offline eireann74

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 03:02:41 am »
will do!

Offline jayne

• Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 18:01:49 pm »
great letter... I cant believe that there is red dye in that too!!! for petes sake..

looking forward to the response you get back (if any :P)
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004

Offline eireann74

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 23:21:45 pm »
yeah. dead air as of yet....shocking.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 18:49:45 pm »
Sam used to get hyper from artificial colouring and Jenn still has eczema flare ups when she has them-

And...

BUMP!!!

Offline CharlotteandCharlie

• Showing Appreciation 34
  • These moments make my heart sing!
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 20:28:09 pm »
I've heard mention of Red 40 before and find myself concerned however we don't have any food sensative issues. 

I know this is going to sound silly but do any of you feel strongly enough by what you've researched/seen for yourself that it would be wise for all of us to elimiate dyes from our diet.  Child or adult?

ON a related note, I do try to keep a healthy diet but occassionally will make something like Lipton Pasta Sidekicks or processed cheese slices as part of a meal.  Each time I buy these things and/or make them for our family something in my brian whispers "what if they find out this stuff is responsible for the cancers so many of our loved ones have ended up with"?  The guilt I feel is there everytime yet I am at a loss as to how to begin to eliminate these things as well as choose alternatives that are tasty and fast. 
Charlotte mom to
Charlie Anne August 7, 2005
Campbell Rose March 27, 2007
And wife to the man of my dreams.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 21:59:03 pm »
I think a lot of it for people without known sensitivities (I qualify that for a reason ;)) is to keep it in moderation. If you're only getting that stuff once in a while and your body has a chance to process it and eliminate it without it building up before the next meal of it, it's probably not that big a deal. For people whose bodies have a hard time working with it, though, it's DEFINITELY worth getting out of the habit.

For a REALLY scary read about food additives, check out the book Nourishing Traditions. It's on the reactionary side, but it also has a LOT of food information in there, along with some amazing recipes, that have really changed the way we eat here. We've started cooking a LOT more from scratch, making some of our own unprocessed foods - we've even been known to make our own crackers, and with the food dehydrator I got at a yard sale a couple summers ago, we've made our own fruit leather. (It also works with canned or fresh pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices to make pumpkin leather - a LOT healthier than Fruit Rollups! :)) The girls not only eat fresh veggies and herbs from the garden right off the plant (just TRY and stop Natalie from pulling up the carrots, which reminds me, gotta plant another crop! ::) :)), but we've discovered that two of our most common weeds are edible AND nutritious! (Wood sorrell and purslane)  The girls think it's cool to eat like rabbits. LOL

Anyway, must run but will of course be back..... :)

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • mischief makers........
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 22:18:30 pm »
OMG i had no idea the list could be that long.... :o

am marking my spot for news on a reply to that letter!  :)
Mummy to

Megan Marjorie Alice 12/07/03
and
Cerys Elizabeth Rose 29/05/07

Offline eireann74

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2008, 22:48:40 pm »
i received no response from them, perhaps because they can't argue with the point! ugh!

Offline *Vicki*

• Lazy Spice
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • mischief makers........
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 21:27:08 pm »
Sounds abiout right  >:(
Mummy to

Megan Marjorie Alice 12/07/03
and
Cerys Elizabeth Rose 29/05/07