Author Topic: What tests can be done to find cause of eczema?  (Read 4845 times)

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Like your heart walking round outside your body
What tests can be done to find cause of eczema?
« on: June 05, 2008, 10:20:45 am »
Hi all,

My lo Kitty (3 months) has atopic eczema. My HV has referred us to a consultant in the children's centre at the hospital, and I'm hoping they'll agree to some allergy tests for her.

Can anyone tell me what allergy tests are available, what they can find out and what they involve? I'd like to know what to push for, as I've got the impression from my HV that they're not super-keen to allergy test babies as apparently most grow out of it.

Are there tests that can tell me which foods she's allergic to or can they also tell whether she's allergic to pollen, cat dander, creams, dust etc? Is it possible that she's allergic to several of them?

I've just started eliminating dairy, as that seems a common cause from what I've seen on the internet.

Thanks!  :)

Offline momtoandrewandthomas

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: What tests can be done to find cause of eczema?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »
My Thomas was not as small as your little girl, but at about 9 months he was skin tested for a host of food and outside allergins with the prick test.  They even used the soy milk I had brought to test him.  Of course, they were negative but he continued to show signs of intolerance.  The allergist explained to me that there really is no way to tell whether they have intolerance it is usually just based on symptoms.  Thomas's RAST (blood test) was also negative.  Again, he is still intolerant with 2 trials attempted and failed for soy and milk.

I do have a 5 year old who has been skin tested 3 times and each time, his allergic reactions have been worse.  They have been checking him anually to try to make him comfortable (he is allergic to outside things like trees and grass and cats).  They can really test for anything you want them to.  We have a cat and the doctor said that was fine.  HE takes several types of prescriptions during his worst seasons and has been since he was small.  He gets all types of hives and rashes and eczema flare-ups depending on what is in bloom.  Basically, a constant battle with his skin.  We can 't keep him inside so we just fight.

I hope you can find some answers!
Jen - pediatric physical therapist and wife to Brian
Mom to Andrew - 5 1/2 sensitive preemie
           Thomas - 2 1/2 MSPI textbook baby

Kindergarten is stressing me out!!!!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:42:36 pm »
Hi.  My son was just tested at 8 months and my first son was tested at 9  months.

Our allergist said that they can test as early as 6 weeks old, but at a young age sometimes it is not very accurate.

My DS1 showed positive to soy, pollen, mold, dog, trees.  He was negative to milk, but still showed an intolerance (GI upset).

DS2 that just got tested because he has this AWFUL red, hot to touch rash on his face showed negative to everything.  Through trail and error, we found out that oats is what causes his rash. 

I think allergy testing is good, just to know, BUT you can't go by that always. 

Here in the US, if they show positive to a food, they will tell you to avoid it.  If they are positive to an outdoor allergen and shows signs of runny nose, sneezing, itching skin they will give an anti-hismane for it.  I think they give a steroid cream for eczema, but I would research the effects of steroids first.

Really before you go, do as much research as you can.  You may find that wheat and/or dairy is the cause of his eczema and not eating it will help.

Good Luck.  Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:46:28 pm »
I know in the UK they don't tend to carry out allergy tests on babies, although it is not totally unheard of. When James was 3 months the dermatologist we saw for his eczema refused to run allergy tests insisting that it would not make any difference. James was 11 months when he had his first RAST test done which came back showing that James had multiple food allergies. James's highest score were to dairy and egg at this point.

Most hospitals try to treat the eczema with the traditional methods of topical steroids and emollients first.

Kelly

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

lilmonkey

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 13:52:24 pm »
I agree with Wendy.  DD had allergy tests done at around 6 & 8 mos and they came back neg.  Her ped and I didn't put much emphasis on them as it is really tough to get an accurate result on babies.  Just keep a food diary and avoid them if they cause a flare up. 

Our dermatologist suggested a 15 min soak in the bath (without soap) daily and lots and lots of good lotion should keep the flare ups at bay.  One lotion we found really effective is Vaseline Creamy.  We go through a tub every 2 wks.  We only use the tropical steriods for really nasty flare ups (red blotchy itchy skin).

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 11:31:59 am »
Also, our allergist told us that over red and scaly/open areas, to use something like bactroban or neosporin or triple antibiotic cream (over the counter) first and then apply the steroids on top.  This did help my older son.  We also bathed with Cetaphil and double rinsed all thier laundry.  I still use the baby detergent on their clothes too (they are 5 and 2).  I notice that it flares depending on the pollen counts in the air and once it starts, it is difficult to get rid of.  With Thomas, who is intolerant/allergic to milk and soy, his rash persisted on his face and backside until the foods were removed for several months.  I think Wendy confirmed this as well.  It takes a long time to eliminate something that has been in their system for a while.  He still gets patches here and there and has bumps all over both arms right now, but we just completed a re-introduction and re-elimination here in the last month.  Cetaphil (even the store brand versions) of the wash and lotion work well.  Our allergist did say that most importantly is that their skin is always hydrated with lotion no matter the brand.  We go through tons!!!

Offline aidliz

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 02:00:32 am »
My sister went through a series of skin prick tests when she was a baby. She was allergic to almost all animal dander.  I read on another one of your posts you are concerned your cat might be causing her eczema.  If you do find this to be the case there has been research done that it is better not to get rid of the animal because it can help the child build an immunity so  they will have a better chance of growing out of the allergy later in life.  If your cat will tolerate it it is suggested to give the cat a bath once a week.  Also if it is a long haired cat you could have her shaved. 

The allergy tests can tell you everything she is allergic to.  There are also holistic doctors here in the US that can do testing that is non invasive.  My ds went to one for other reasons and the doctor did do some testing on him.  They are expensive and unfortunately arent covered by insurance.

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 07:09:20 am »
I've mentioned your ideas to Paws the cat and frankly he's not impressed with the shaving or bathing ideas ;o)

Great to hear that it might even be a positive thing allergy-wise to have a cat; obviously I'm biased towards any good news on the front, as I love him so much.

I wonder if ti could be a dairy allergy maybe then? I have swapped milk for rice milk and stopped eating cheese, but I've not been very careful other than that. I think I need to start checking ingredients, being a bit more thorough.

Thanks everyone, for all your helpful answers. It's reassuring to know you're not alone in battling things sometimes.

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 12:16:52 pm »
I can confirm that the cat is a good thing.  My Andrew (5) is allergic to cats and we have had one since before he was born.  The allergist told us to definitely keep him because he will help him build immunity.  We brush him often and try to brush him when he comes in from outside.  He has adjusted but you know cats.  A bath would be death to me for sure.

Offline catonss

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 16:36:27 pm »
Another thought is that it might be candida / yeast related.  That was the case with my dd who's now 18 months and eczema free, after killing off the bad yeast/bacteria (mostly through sugar and carb free diet) and replacing with good (probiotics).  Are you familiar with candida at all?  Has she shown any other signs of yeast ever?  (thrush, diaper rash, whitish shiny armpits or "legpits").  What type of birth was she - vag or c-sect?   Any antibiotics given to you or her since birth?  I'll write more if you're interested or think i might be on to something.  but you could start with doing an online search for eczema and candida.
Sarah
Sarah

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 17:01:38 pm »
There are bath wipe you can buy to give Paws a "sponge bath".  Most pet stores, places like Walmart have them. 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 14:37:58 pm »
Well, I am a bit confused, as my HV thinks she does have thrush, but hasn't been very clear about which bits of Kitty's rash are eczema and which she thinks might be thrush. I suspect we're none of us very sure what's what!

Do tell me more about your experiences, Catonss, when you have a spare minute; I'd be very interested to hear.

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 11:35:11 am »
Just back from the dermatologist appointment, and she feels Kitty is too little to do allergy tests on. I had wondered. But I'm getting good results with the dairy-free diet, so I'm hopeful that we might have found the trigger anyway...

Offline catonss

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 13:44:55 pm »
Well, i'll try not to overwhelm you with info, but the gist of it is that at birth, a baby's immune system is neutral.  If born vaginally, they get a good drink of (hopefully) good bacteria that's in your gut flora.  If your gut flora is out of balance, the drink can be not so good.  And if born by c-section, they don't get the drink at all, plus they get a bad start b/c of the antibiotics (anti-life) given to the mom at the birth.  My girls were c-section.  Plus i think i've had an imbalance of too much bad flora / bacteria (very common actually, especially in women - do a search on candida) for 10 years.  Your gut is filled with good and bad flora at all times, but sometimes things can throw off the imbalance - like taking antibiotics, being on the pill (or other things that effect hormones), even the hormones from being pregnant, eating too much sugar and simple carbs, etc.  My girls didn't have thrush, but they had signs of yeast in their diaper area and armpits...also spit up a lot, and had eczema, and bad cradle cap- also colic.  Our ped. said that eczema is most commonly a food sensitivity, or a yeast (candida) issue - usually points to a weak digestive system of some sort.  SO....  What we chose to do was go the long route to recovery...through diet.  Took lots of PROBIOTICS - (pro-life) to help establish good bacteria.  Our ped said probiotics and diet are the best way to get at it for good.  Creams don't get to the root cause.  Many Dr's prescribe something like Nystatin - again, my Ped tends to wait to see if diet will remedy it first.  Trouble is the diet takes FOREVER to see results - 3 to 6 months of no sugar or carbs (even limited fruit).  Which is fine for a baby, but if you breastfeed, they get the stuff through you.  And i think it's common for the mom to have it anyway. 
BUT, we're on the other side of things now.  Did the diet for 4.5 months, and we are YEAST FREE!  Eczema's gone, digestion has improved (and so have other things - like bowel movements, etc for my 18 month old).  My 3 year old is still getting a red diaper area now and then.  But skin is such a good barrier for germs, that once it's broken, it can pick up other things easily.  so it's hard to tell what really is causing the rashes, yeast or something else. 
ANYWAY, that's enough info for now!  I can  It can be very overwhelming at first....i had to switch dr's to find one who was more holistic, cause my first one didn't even bring any of this up.  Course i didn't know about any of this until i switched dr's, but i just wasn't satisfied with "this is common, she'll grow out of it."
Oh - i should also say, that we also are dealing with milk protein allergy.  both dd's would scream while nursing if i had a big bowl of ice cream beforehand, so that was fairly easy to see.  but with dairy elimination for me, i still didn't notice the eczema go away...just happier nursing.   
I hope you're able to discover what's causing the eczema!
Sarah

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 12:31:25 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail, Catonss - really appreciate it. It's certainly another avenue to try if we don't get anywhere with this one. I'm discovering that allergies are a bit of a minefield, aren't they? I do need to find some vegan probiotics. I was taking some from Holland & Barrett, but noticed the other day that they have a dairy allergy warning on them.

Went to the paediatrician today, and she's taken some blood for testing to see if it might be MSPI causing the eczema. They'll also test for the moggy too... not sure I want to hear the results of that one!

She did sound really iffy about whether you can trust the results though. She implied that if the result was a positive, we could take that as a fairly firm result, but if the results were negative, it wasn't necessarily the case. Confusing! Anyone else had experiences of this? I think it's called a RAST test? The nurse also mentioned being able to check Kitty's immune system somehow through the blood test?

I guess if we get lots of negatives, we'll just keep trying elimination diets (need to be patient with those, by the sounds of it!) And any positives, we'll have to think hard about acting on/living with...

They did say today that Kitty's eczema is severe, which was interesting, as I'd not had it 'classed' before and wasn't sure how she compared to other babies with eczema.

Offline catonss

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 17:18:58 pm »
I hope you get somewhere with this!  I have found one of the biggest things we need to do is just enjoy our babies all along the way - not worrying too much about things we can't always change or help very easily or quickly, you know?!
Sarah

Offline KittysMum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 18:17:51 pm »
What great advice. I've been stressing so much about her eczema recently that I have lost sight of that enjoyment a bit. Great tip to remember, thanks.